• ...and so much more!
  • IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    Hey INGO,
    Fairly new to INGO (about a year) and am looking to put together a bug out bag, but I don't really have the time right now to be going to accumulate all such equipment, so I was looking for a ready made set up commercially available which would get me the most complete all in one package and then I could add into it additional items as I decide is best for my situation.

Yes, I know I am going to be paying more for it, but to get the basic going and then add to it seems the most logical at this point, at least for me.

Currently, its just my wife and I living in Northern Indiana.
    I am looking for suggested suppliers/approx costs etc, either mail order or direct purchase. Also if there are particular websites you recommend for sources for this equipment...

Would also be interested in the next group buy on the MRE's.

Any help would be appreciated...

Its a crazy world out there...

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    IIRC, I think 21st century firearms may have something like what your looking for. I could be mistaken. Check with Gamez235. I just don't have time right now to look. It may be a medical kit only. Anyway, hit him up.

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Thanks for the BOB and assistance

a fireblade,
    thanks for the leads in your previous reply as it has led to a whole additional number of threads to follow with a lot of different information. Certainly it gives a lot of information even if I decide to build it from the ground up rather than buying a commercially assembled bag. I guess my bigger question is how big a backpack to set up as it seems to me that bigger is better more often than not. I don't foresee having to carry it all that far, preferably just between the house and the truck, but it never gets to that point I would like to have is much of the supplies available as possible. IDK, maybe my wife will have to carry one too! :)

Thanks again, if anyone else has some ideas or other possible links (I especially liked the link I found on one of the pages to free survival books, as well as some of the other links on Ingo) please feel free to add them.

The wife is having quite of good time reminding me of my preparing for the SH TF resulting from the year 2000 millennium issues which never occurred. I guess in the long run its best that nothing ever happens but if it does, then we will look like the most intelligent people around rather than being chided for being "paranoid"…

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    My pennies...

First, if you buy a pre-packaged kit it will all be unfamiliar to you if you really need it. You will be adding to the already steep learning curve and if your doing it under dire stresss it could cost you and your wife your lives.

Second, you could go to a local store, gander, dicks, etc and grab a bag, walk around the store and inside on an hour have a ready made bag.

Lastly, KISS... Keep it simple silly... Fire, Shelter, Water, Food, Protection, First Aid, survival... You have to use what you carry or it is dead weight. Seriously, look up some other members around you and get with them, join a MSG. Read, watch youtube videos, google it...

The suggestion of salemons leads you to a sight that tells you exactly what you might need or at least some options. If you read ver the list and have no idea of what something is, how to use it, where you would use it then you need more info and training before you get that item..

Taken from Citadel Tactical webd site..

A Disaster Plan that includes the location of emergency areas, rallying points, multiple evacuation routes, maps of the area, trail maps, etc (make sure you use a water proof laminate to protect your plans).
    First Aid Kit
    Possible Kits to look at are as follows:
    - All-Purpose First Aid Kit, 170 Items In Plastic Case With Carry
    Handle
    - First Aid Only Outdoor First Aid Kit, Soft Case, 205-Piece Kit
    - Adventure Medical Kits Mountain Medic Kit
    - 10-Unit First Aid Kit
    - Visit the American Red Cross website for more kits that are great!

Professional Survival Book
    This should be studied before hand and kept for reference during a disaster. Recommended books are:
    - SAS Survival Handbook: How to Survive in the Wild, in Any
    Climate, on Land or at Sea
    - When All Hell Breaks Loose
    - US Army Survival Manual: FM 21-76

Water bottles and metal canteen cup
    - Stainless Steel GI Type Canteen Cup Great for Boiling and
    Sterilizing water
    - Klean Kanteen Stainless Steel Water Bottles
    - Sturdy Water Bottles that can be used to boil water

Clothing
    Socks, gloves, rain suit, poncho, jacket, hat, bandannas, and clothing for your environment
    A few assorted knives
    Recommended Knives:
    - The Seal Pup By SOG is one of my favorite Knives, it is one of the best knife I have found)
    - EvoGrip S557 Knife with Red & Black Handle from Swiss Army
    Camp Axe & Shovel
    - Fiskars 8-Inch Hatchet #7855
    - Fiskars Splitting Axe 23.5-Inch #7853
    - Gerber 45905 Camp Axe – Sheath – Clam
    - Folding Spade NATO Approved Knife from Gerber Knives

Flashlights
    - Gerber 22-80010 Infinity Ultra LED Task Light, Green
    - Nightstar Magnetic Force Flashlight Hi-Tech Clear Self Powered Flashlight * A must have for when the batteries fail. Sturdy and not a cheapo imitation
    - Surefire E2E-HA Executive Elite

Radio
    A must to keep up on what is going on. Preferably a Grundig or Dynamo instead of battery powered.
    Fire Starting
    Waterproof Matches, a couple Lighters, Tinder and one of the following:
    - Ultimate Survival Technologies BlastMatch All Weather Firestarter (orange)
    - Brunton Striker Magnesium Fire Starter (Silver/Black)

MultiTool
    - Leatherman 830040 New Wave Multi-Tool with Nylon Sheath
    - Leatherman 830160 Surge Pocket Multitool with Leather Sheath
    - SOG Multitool

Cordage
    (wide variety of uses, traps, etc….) *550 Paracord
    CASH & Documents
    have some extra cash in your bag, as well as a copy of all your important documents (SS Card, I.D., Fishing hunting License, Gun License, etc…)

Firearm(s) and ammunition.
    - 10/22 Ruger rifle- is a great all around survival gun that will never fail and will last forever. Ammo is dirt cheap at under $20 for 500 rounds It also has a ton of 10/22 after market gear
    - AR-15- battle rifle of the US Military for over 30 years. We sell almost all components here for your AR-15! 'Nuff said!
    - 1911 A1- Government Model .45. This is the real deal for a tough situation. Commands respect just by being unholstered. Reliable and will Git 'R Done!

WATER
    a liter per day per person (enough to get you by until you find a clean source of water)
    Water Purifiers & Filters: (Any one below would be a good choice)

- SteriPEN Adventurer Handheld Water Purifier
    - Katadyn Pocket Water Microfilter
    - Katadyn TRK Drip Ceradyn Water Filter
    - Lifesaver Bottle 4000 Ultra Filtration Water Bottle
    -Katadyn Combi Water Microfilter

MulitVitamins
    Keep your strength up as your diet changes. One A Day vitamins work well!

Extra Medicine
    *If needed because of preexisting condition, you may not be able to get more in a survival situation so stock up now on generics by keeping them sealed in Food Saver bags or Mylar bags, and in a cool, dry, dark place.
    Navigation
    Compass, Maps, GPS, etc….

Communication
    Portable C.B or Ham Radio
    Fishing Gear
    Bobbers Hooks, fishing line, small collapsible pole
    Emergency Food
    Stuff that will last and give you the most bang for your buck ( peanut butter, jerky, sardines, granola bars, salt, dried fruit, MRE’s, etc…) We sell several different types of survival food and supplies on our Freeze Dried Food page.
    Shelter
    Sleeping bag, tent, tarp, etc….
    Solar Charger
    - Brunton Solarport 4.4 Watt Foldable Solar Charger with Battery Charger Great for recharging AA/AAA batteries for electronics
    Brunton 26 Watt Foldable Solar Array Great for powering small electronics
    Signal Devices
    Flares, Signaling Mirror, Whistle
    Duct tape
    Lots if uses- securing gear, shelter making, tool repair, sealant, etc.
    Miscellaneous
    Candles, Safety Pins, sewing needles and thread, Playing Cards for entertainment, Wire for snaring.

Just my thoughts, I am no expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once...

Last edited:

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Some great suggestions and ideas Icarry2. ! I am just starting out in the area of becoming a prep'er and any help I can get is most appreciated. What is an MSG? ***** Survival Group or something? Thinking of more of a backpack setup as opposed to a duffel format. Any thought on what would be the best place to start? My initial thinking is to get a bag that is oversized, as the weight of the bag is inconsequential compared to what is in it. This would allow greater organization as well as allow space for adding items over time...

It must have been a great Holiday Inn !! :)

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    back pack over duffle any day in my opinion.

MSG is a Mutual Support Group, there is a whole thread about them as well, which one you are located near etc.

How much your going to carry, how much you can carry will help decide what pack to buy.

Check the BOB thread, there are hundreds of choices for what bag..

A big point brought up alot anymore is basically how much can you carry for how long?

If you have a health problem, bad, knee, etc you might want to consider a different solution.

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Good Stuff... Thanks for the assistance... I was thinking that as well as to the backpack vs duffel. Leaves the hands free as well for carrying additional "duffel" bag if necessary.
    I will check out the other threads...

Now the question is: Do I suddenly start showing up as a "terrorist" with the FBI, because I have made preparations for survival? :D

bksboiler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    I was on ebay a few nights ago and did a search for "bug out bag" just to see what was there. There were many available...ready to go.

I was suprised at what you could get, and at several price points.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Something good I found linked in here earlier today.

The Will to Act: Your Ultimate Bug-out Kit by R.B. - SurvivalBlog.com

Good all around info of what to think about packing and why.

After taking a look at these pre-made kits. I shudder at the thought. Half the weight looks to be packaging material. Initial bug-out for me is only a couple miles to in-laws outside of town. Seconday though is about 40 miles, with a tertiary about 60 miles. include a possible walk home from work at 35 miles, and weight is going to be a consideration. There's a lot of good info in that article. It's a long read, but well worth it I'm thinking.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    a fireblade,
    thanks for the leads in your previous reply as it has led to a whole additional number of threads to follow with a lot of different information. Certainly it gives a lot of information even if I decide to build it from the ground up rather than buying a commercially assembled bag. I guess my bigger question is how big a backpack to set up as it seems to me that bigger is better more often than not. I don't foresee having to carry it all that far, preferably just between the house and the truck, but it never gets to that point I would like to have is much of the supplies available as possible. IDK, maybe my wife will have to carry one too! :)

Thanks again, if anyone else has some ideas or other possible links (I especially liked the link I found on one of the pages to free survival books, as well as some of the other links on Ingo) please feel free to add them.

The wife is having quite of good time reminding me of my preparing for the SH TF resulting from the year 2000 millennium issues which never occurred. I guess in the long run its best that nothing ever happens but if it does, then we will look like the most intelligent people around rather than being chided for being "paranoid"…

My personal experience led to putting together smaller bags with items related to specific issues in each. They will be easier to carry and you can have more supply's and maybe stretch them out beyond 72 hrs. My first aid bag grew into a separate bag in itself. Possibly a bag and back pack might work for you. If there are 2 of you this could be the way to go.

Top Bottom