• Status
    Not open for further replies.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Realistically, we beat Houston pretty handily next week and the season basically comes down to the home game against the Patriots Saturday night the 18th. Beat the Pats and you’ve got a chance. Lose to the Pats and that’s basically it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Realistically, we beat Houston pretty handily next week and the season basically comes down to the home game against the Patriots Saturday night the 18th. Beat the Pats and you’ve got a chance. Lose to the Pats and that’s basically it.
    We don't play them at NE? How does that work? Usually it's one home and one away.

Nevermind. Since we played Brady today I was thinking it was the Pats. Old habits die hard! :lmfao:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    As I see the Colts fans rooting interest today:

Bengals over Steelers

Pats over Titans

Broncos over Chargers

Ravens over Browns

Any I missed or got wrong?
    So the Steelers got knocked behind the Colts, Broncos pulled up pulling back the Chargers to just above the Colts. So far Ravens look better than the Browns but are behind and have a lot of time.

Titans could implode based on how they looked today and knowing they have significant players on IR but they have a very easy schedule…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I call BS on Reich’s comments. On a funny note, did you see the fan with the hat that said ”run the damn ball” in the stands? After that was shown the Colts did just that and they showed it again.

They should have come out with a rushing attack in the third, they abandoned the run in the first.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    When you have the best RB in the NFL and you refuse to run the ball then that is on the head coach/play caller.

To me it is inexcusable. You have to run the ball at least to keep the defense honest. And with Taylor he needs to touch the ball 20-25 games or you are derelict in your duties.

Former QBs as head coach and play caller always fall into the passing trap. They love to pass because otherwise they are just a robot handing balls off. It's not exciting. It doesn't feed their ego. And this is not the first time Reich has fallen into the trap. He's done it repeatedly.

He talks about facing the number one rush defense but he has the number one rush offense (yd/att). Yet he chooses to pass against the #4 pass defense (yds/att) with a bottom half pass offense.

Colts ran 38 plays in the first half. 9 of them were called run plays. They ran 31 plays in the 2nd half. He didn't call a run play in the 3rd quarter. He finally runs the ball in the 4th quarter and Taylor gets 58 yards on the drive and a TD on a drive that was 12 plays and 6:30 minutes. THAT is how you win games and control the other team. You grind them up and keep their defense on the field and your defense off the field.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    When you have the best RB in the NFL and you refuse to run the ball then that is on the head coach/play caller.

To me it is inexcusable. You have to run the ball at least to keep the defense honest. And with Taylor he needs to touch the ball 20-25 games or you are derelict in your duties.

Former QBs as head coach and play caller always fall into the passing trap. They love to pass because otherwise they are just a robot handing balls off. It's not exciting. It doesn't feed their ego. And this is not the first time Reich has fallen into the trap. He's done it repeatedly.

He talks about facing the number one rush defense but he has the number one rush offense (yd/att). Yet he chooses to pass against the #4 pass defense (yds/att) with a bottom half pass offense.

Colts ran 38 plays in the first half. 9 of them were called run plays. They ran 31 plays in the 2nd half. He didn't call a run play in the 3rd quarter. He finally runs the ball in the 4th quarter and Taylor gets 58 yards on the drive and a TD on a drive that was 12 plays and 6:30 minutes. THAT is how you win games and control the other team. You grind them up and keep their defense on the field and your defense off the field.
    GREAT POST!

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN

Don’t really have time to type out my thoughts right now but I disagree with most of this. Hopefully later I’ll have time to hash it out.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    IND v Balt scored tied at 25. Colts next drive:
    Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Run, missed FG.

Ind v TEN scored tied 24-24
    Colts drives:
    1. Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Run, Pass, Pass, Pass, Run, Run, Run, Pass, Pass, Pass.
    2. Pass (int TD)
    3. Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Run
    4. Run, Pass, Pass
    5. Pass, Pass, Run, Pass

IND v JAX
    After going up 17-0
    Colts drives:
    1. Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Punt
    2. Run, Run, Pass, Punt
    3. Run, Run, Pass, Punt
    4. Pass, Pass, Run, Pass, Pass, Run, Pass, Pass
    5. Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Punt
    5. Pass, Run, Pass, Punt
    6. Run, Pass, Run, Pass, Pass, Punt
    7. Pass, Run, Pass. Punt
    8. Run, Pass, Run, Pass, Run, Pass, Pass, Run, Pass, Pass FG

IND v. TB
    Up 24-14 after half
    Colt Drives
    1. Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass.
    2. Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass
    3. Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Run
    4. Run, Run, Run, Pass, Run, Run, Run, Run, Pass, Run TD

If not for the scoring drive v TB at the end I would think that Reich doesn't like to run the ball too much. But maybe that's just me?

104 plays and called 28 runs.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN

He had a lot of RPO’s called in the 2nd half. Wentz checked out of them based on what the defense was giving him. You don’t run the ball just to run the ball. Tampa played mostly 8 man boxes. At that point it’s a numbers game with the o-line. Any NFL defense is capable of stopping the run game if they sell out to stop the run. Tampa did that. They sold out to stop the run and trusted their DB’s and safeties to keep up with our WR’s. Reich had run options called. Wentz checked out of them. We would NOT have scored 31 points if Reich called run plays just to say that he did. You all would’ve ripped him for continuing to call run plays when they were consistently getting negative gains or no gain. Be mad at Wentz for checking out of run plays but don’t be mad at Reich for not calling them.

Taylor did get 20 touches in that game. So there’s that. But either way, running against a heavy loaded box just because you think you should is not smart coaching. Tampa sold out to stop Taylor and dared Wentz to beat them. He threw for over 300yds and 3 TD’s against the #4 passing defense in the league.

Johnathon Taylor has 9 games with 18 or more touches. The highest total of any running back in the league. We literally just dog walked the Bills a week ago by going heavy run. You have adapt to what the defense is giving you. Again, running against an 8-man box because you think you should is NOT smart. You soften up a heavy box by throwing, not by continuing to run.

The Colts are #4 this season in PPG (points per game). Number 4 people!! Ahead of the Cardinals, Rams, Chiefs, Ravens, Chargers, Packers, etc. Seriously, what more do you want from a play caller? I really don’t understand the Reich hate.

In the 4th quarter, the Bucs went to a predominately 6-man box because they were ahead and wanted to stop the pass. THAT’s when Taylor got his yards. That’s just the facts. To say Reich is a bad/mediocre play caller is honestly just ignorance. And I don’t mean that in a bad way towards anybody. I know not everybody has the same level of dedication to following the Colts as I do.

Frank Reich didn’t muff a punt. Blame Hines.

Frank Reich didn’t whiff on an assignment and cause a strip-sack. Blame Fisher.

Frank Reich didn’t misjudge a 50/50 ball and let the safety get underneath it for an INT. Blame Pittman.

Reich isn’t perfect but he’s not even top 10 on the list of reason why we lost that game.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    IND v Balt scored tied at 25. Colts next drive:
    Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Run, missed FG.

Ind v TEN scored tied 24-24
    Colts drives:
    1. Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Run, Pass, Pass, Pass, Run, Run, Run, Pass, Pass, Pass.
    2. Pass (int TD)
    3. Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Run
    4. Run, Pass, Pass
    5. Pass, Pass, Run, Pass

IND v JAX
    After going up 17-0
    Colts drives:
    1. Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Punt
    2. Run, Run, Pass, Punt
    3. Run, Run, Pass, Punt
    4. Pass, Pass, Run, Pass, Pass, Run, Pass, Pass
    5. Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Punt
    5. Pass, Run, Pass, Punt
    6. Run, Pass, Run, Pass, Pass, Punt
    7. Pass, Run, Pass. Punt
    8. Run, Pass, Run, Pass, Run, Pass, Pass, Run, Pass, Pass FG

IND v. TB
    Up 24-14 after half
    Colt Drives
    1. Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass.
    2. Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass
    3. Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Run
    4. Run, Run, Run, Pass, Run, Run, Run, Run, Pass, Run TD

If not for the scoring drive v TB at the end I would think that Reich doesn't like to run the ball too much. But maybe that's just me?

104 plays and called 28 runs.

Johnathon Taylor is #2 in the NFL in rushing attempts. All running backs. The entire league. Number Two.

Yeah I’d say it’s just you. ;)

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    You want to compare stats to this group but it also contains all the losers…

What else is there to go off of? The numbers are what they are. Murph said that he thinks that Reich is pass happy and doesn’t likes to run. Taylor has the most rushing attempts of any active running back in the entire league. If “more than anyone else in the whole NFL” isn’t enough then I’m not sure what to say.

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    What else is there to go off of? The numbers are what they are. Murph said that he thinks that Reich is pass happy and doesn’t likes to run. Taylor has the most rushing attempts of any active running back in the entire league. If that’s not good enough then I’m not sure what to say.

Only a couple of teams have a Henry or Taylor and those teams stats should be different than the losers always passing to, on the faintest of hope, get back in a game, or passing heavy teams.

I agree the team is to blame but it starts at the top.

We will lose to the Pats this way too. Belichick always takes away your strength.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Reich said today in his press conference that more than half of the 1st and 2nd down play calls in the 3rd quarter were run option plays. Wentz checked out of them because that’s what he’s supposed to do based off of what the defense gives him. Is Wentz supposed to check to a bad play? I’m honestly baffled that this is even an issue with the fan base.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Reich said today in his press conference that more than half of the 1st and 2nd down play calls in the 3rd quarter were run option plays. Wentz checked out of them because that’s what he’s supposed to do based off of what the defense gives him. Is Wentz supposed to check to a bad play? I’m honestly baffled that this is even an issue with the fan base.
    At some point we must run some no matter the men in the box to keep them honest.

The fans recognize the Colts have a strong back and want him featured.

Yep, when the Pats were mugging the receivers Manning checked out of pass to pure runs and the stat sheet looked the total opposite of what Murph posted…

NOPE, Manning threw the damn ball, he got his and more anyway. That’s what fans want, Taylor to get his and more, just shove it down their throats…

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom