• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    What's wrong with a 6920? How are other AR's better?

Colt does what Colt does when it comes to ARs. They're just plain jane and nothing unique besides their "Competition" series which if I remember right, they don't even make. Carbine length gas systems with short forearms and a fixed front sight post. Nitride barrel? Blasphemy. Midlength gas system? Blasphemy. Forearm over 7" long? Blasphemy. The closest thing to innovation they've had in a while is the 901 and it's not taking off like they thought they would.

You are right, they need to expand their offering. If they can't come up with a good, new design on their own, maybe they should mimick what Springfield did with th XD, XDm & XDs. Those are outstanding products just re-badged SA.

It would suck to have to resort to that, but they need to get in the polymer framed game. I'm no expert on gun sales, but by just seeing what is on gun store shelves, which seems to be primarily polymer framed, striker fired pistols, I'd would have to imagine that is the fastest growing market segment. Even Sig & HK have recently made new entries with the 320 & VP9.

Plus, it would benefit them to make a gun in that $500 range that most of these polymers are at. That could widen their target market and, if successful, could create brand loyalty from customers making more expensive purchases in the future.

To make it competitive, the pistol would actually have to work and be something unique to set it apart from the other offerings out there besides just having a horse on it.

Or, if they could create an alloy, light weight, striker fired gun that worked, looked good, and was sized right so people could actually carry it then that might set them apart.

Colt tried striker and polymer framed once. The All American 2000 and yeah...........

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    What's wrong with a 6920? How are other AR's better?

6920 not that long ago was $1200. You could buy a BCM/Spikes which was equally as good in the $800 range or pay a little more and get a DD with the extra's. Now you can get 6920's for $800 but the charging for the name in the past left a bad taste in people's mouth.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I may be wrong but wasn't it COLT that bought LWRC a few months ago?

The deal fell through if I remember right. But yes, Colt was looking to buy LWRC.

Glad the deal didn't happen, LWRC probably would have went under too

Where Colt was expecting to get the cash to pay for LWRC amazes me though since they can't pay their bond holders on time

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The deal fell through if I remember right. But yes, Colt was looking to buy LWRC.

Glad the deal didn't happen, LWRC probably would have went under too

Where Colt was expecting to get the cash to pay for LWRC amazes me though since they can't pay their bond holders on time

I can only speculate that colt needed the machinery/tooling/talent to keep rolling.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    As much as I hate to say this, the death knell may have sounded for Colt. They have discontinued their XSE line, parts can no longer be ordered directly from Colt and they have implemented some sort of dealer stocking program which hasn't been met with much enthusiasm. It would appear they're going through some massive reorganization in an attempt to keep themselves on life-support. I hope they figure something out, but I wonder if anything short of divine intervention can save them this time.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Colt did it to themselves. They chose govt contracts over the consumers and dealers. They chose money over standing up to anti 2nd amendment laws.
    the current colt products are terrible quality for the most part. Just an example: You cannot fondle an colt 1911 and then a Springfield (new in the case) and tell me the colt is better. No friggen way.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I look at Colt kind of like I would an alcoholic. They have indulged in self destructive behavior and abused themselves for years. Me personally, I don't hate them for it. I feel more sadness because management has taken an icon and ran it into the ground. Sadly, I think they may be trying to heal themselves when it's much too late. It's a shame too because they're such a huge part of both firearms and American history.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I don't think Colt's going to die. The current company that sits beneath the name will die and someone else will buy the name and patents and we'll see Colts again, but maybe with a bit higher quality. Or, someone will buy the name and cease gun manufacture and use it to sell Colt branded junk. But, I think there's value in the company in the form of the name and patents (if they still retain any).

Top Bottom