• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    I know it has been been discussed and the X vs. Y threads can get old, but I'm going to ask anyway. I have a Colt 6920 with about 1000 rounds through it. I like it and it has never given me a single issue. I am finding myself drawn to a BCM midlength. I like the midlength gas system better than the carbine length in a 16" AR. BCM is also perceived (by me at least) to probably be better quality. Maybe that isn't true, I don't know.

To to buy a BCM I'd have to sell my Colt and pay around $500 on top of what I'd get for it to buy the BCM. What is everybody's opinion? Is the BCM worth the additional around $500 over the Colt?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Keep the Colt. I have both. BCM is a quality gun. So is the Colt. I recently bought another NEW AR. It was a Colt. My factory BCM sits in the safe most of the time.
    That being said....Both of my favorite Colts are adorning BCM charge handles, forward free floating grips, QD sling swivel releases, Keymod rail sections, etc.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    If that Colt has been completely reliable, I'm not sure what kind of quality advantage the BCM can give you. The 6920 is fairly straightforward with few features, and I can see the draw of wanting something configured more to your taste. Why not buy a BCM upper with the features you want and keep the Colt?

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    I guess the Colt is a little boring, but it's a quality gun which is why I haven't already gotten rid of it to fund the BCM. Maybe I'll just save up and get the BCM when funds allow. The BCM upper is a good idea as well, since IMO 75% of BCM's quality gains over somebody like Colt are in the upper.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    I have both brands as well. I'd call them comparable.

Sounds more like you're just bored with what you have and looking to switch it up a bit. If you find yourself drawn to the mid-length BCM you'll probably end up there eventually so why not pull the trigger? Sell that Colt here on INGO and give someone the chance to get bored with it too. You might even find someone with the rifle you're looking for to trade.

FWJK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    I have both brands as well. I'd call them comparable.

Sounds more like you're just bored with what you have and looking to switch it up a bit. If you find yourself drawn to the mid-length BCM you'll probably end up there eventually so why not pull the trigger? Sell that Colt here on INGO and give someone the chance to get bored with it too. You might even find someone with the rifle you're looking for to trade.

I agree. If you are bored - switch it up. Both are great rifles - but I think the BCM is sexier.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    That was intentional...

Okie Dokie
    redneck4.jpg

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    Can the BCM operate more better than 100% reliable?

Good point. You can't do no mo betta than 100%. I am not disputing the Colt's reliability, but any decent rifle can probably run 100% for a while. If BCM is truly better quality, maybe it runs 100% for a longer time.

I think others have hit the nail on the head. The 6920 is pretty basic and I'm just a bit bored. Reliability can be boring. I definitely don't want to get into a situation where I have a less than 100% reliable rifle though.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Reliable is boring, I can see where failure could get your heart racing. I guess it's just a question of how much excitement you want..........

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    2 is 1 and 1 is none. Keep that Colt, as it is a great rifle and you'll probably regret getting rid of it. Save up for the BCM. My 14.5 BCM midlength is my favorite rifle, but I won't toss that Colt out for one. You have arguably one of the best basic fighting rifles available.

Top Bottom