GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Folks do not lay out major funds on parking/tickets/crappy food and warm beer to see and here this crap.
    Wrong arena. Stupid agenda. Just idiotic.
    Just because you have the right to do something that something may or may not shed some light as to your level of stupid.

I know I sure don't. This sort of stuff tends to make me not want to watch NFL games, not more.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Folks do not lay out major funds on parking/tickets/crappy food and warm beer to see and here this crap.
    Wrong arena. Stupid agenda. Just idiotic.
    Just because you have the right to do something that something may or may not shed some light as to your level of stupid.

I don't disagree with that either.

The football fans are in effect the customers. What he did was the same kind of risk the Dixie Chicks took when they spoke up against Bush.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I know I sure don't. This sort of stuff tends to make me not want to watch NFL games, not more.

My son asked me if I was excited about the start of the new season. I told him not really. I'd be more excited if the players just played and the sports media would just report on sports. I don't care to see Bob Costas lecturing us about guns during halftime. And I don't care to see players pretend they care more about some cause besides their inflated paychecks.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    My son asked me if I was excited about the start of the new season. I told him not really. I'd be more excited if the players just played and the sports media would just report on sports. I don't care to see Bob Costas lecturing us about guns during halftime. And I don't care to see players pretend they care more about some cause besides their inflated paychecks.

'Xactly. Shut up and play.

Other than Luck, I'm not sure I could name 3 other Colts players on the team now or not. The most entertaining thing I've seen about the NFL recently is Peyton's commercial trying to set up a get together with Eli and Eli telling him he's got a game that day. :D

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I guess that's one of the failures of democracy then. Office holders get to discriminate by popular vote. Office holders only have to represent the people who voted them into office.

But we're getting way off track from this thread.

Upon further reflection, I would label this a feature rather than a failure...as long as Adams (IIRC) put it, we are a moral and virtuous people. The alternative would be to have oligarchs, in black robes, unaccountable to the people, deciding what is right and what is wrong.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Upon further reflection, I would label this a feature rather than a failure...as long as Adams (IIRC) put it, we are a moral and virtuous people. The alternative would be to have oligarchs, in black robes, unaccountable to the people, deciding what is right and what is wrong.

It's a feature only if government doesn't have any power. One group of people shouldn't have enough power to tell the other they can't buy beer on Sunday. Or own firearms. Or get married.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It's a feature only if government doesn't have any power. One group of people shouldn't have enough power to tell the other they can't buy beer on Sunday. Or own firearms. Or get married.

I would tweak that to say as long as it complies with the spirit and intent of the state and federal constitutions.

If the people of Ohio wish to assemble and agree that there will be no beer sales on Sunday and their state constitution has no language that prohibits that, I'm OK with it. On the other hand, since (as far as I know) Indiana's constitution has no language either and the people, through their legislative processes, decide to repeal the stupid law, I'm all for that as well.

People get to loan power to the government. That's how our system is set up. There's a few things that our documents prohibit in regards to other peoples' rights and we go ahead and infringe on them anyway. Our system was set up to not permit that but there's nothing to stop it either. (As we've seen from numerous court cases and laws.)

I'd prefer my state not be involved in marriage at all, end all the remaining blue laws, put an end to protected classes of people, and let people bear the full weight of their decisions.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    What do you expect from a system that pays people millions of dollars a year to throw a sportsball? Pro football as an institution is ****ing stupid. The whole thing is ridiculous.

10 bucks say you won't put that on a shirt and walk downtown Green Bay on a NFL Sunday. Lol

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    He plays on a team that supposedly represents a city, possibly state...........oh yeah, it's San Fran.
    Be all the ass he wants to be.

He should quit the NFL............after all, they have teams representing major areas of black murders...........Detroit, Atlanta, Cleveland, Chicago, Baltimore........even Indianapolis........

When dipstick p*sses away his millions he might ditch the jersey and go for a vest, ya know..........making a stand for his religion.

Convict....convictions...................eh, National Felon League.............nobody with a sober brain cares about em anymore.
    Hell, smart people when hammered still don't care.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    What meaning does it have to pledge or stand for a flag if it's just expected of you? Isn't the point of living in a free country that you honor that country by choice, not by coercion nor even by others ridiculing you.
    It is not about honor, it is about respect.

It is the same as my expecting my children to say Sir and Mam to adults.

He can choose not to honor the country all he likes. He can choose not to respect it as well. He can also take the heat when people call him on that disrespect.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It is not about honor, it is about respect.

It is the same as my expecting my children to say Sir and Mam to adults.

He can choose not to honor the country all he likes. He can choose not to respect it as well. He can also take the heat when people call him on that disrespect.
    I think it's a problem when we try to coerce "respect", either through laws or public shame. Is that really respect? People are saying Kaepernick is saying things he's not saying. He's not saying that he doesn't respect the sacrifice from soldiers on behalf of the nation. He's just saying he doesn't respect a government that pretends its citizens are free when they're really not. At least, that's what he says.

As I said way up thread, my problem isn't as much that he's sitting during the national anthem. That's become more of a rote exercise anyway. I think a good chunk of the people who make the right motions during the national anthem are mostly virtue signaling themselves. My problem with Kaepernick's "stand" is that he's full of ****.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    He plays on a team that supposedly represents a city, possibly state...........oh yeah, it's San Fran.
    Be all the ass he wants to be.

He should quit the NFL............after all, they have teams representing major areas of black murders...........Detroit, Atlanta, Cleveland, Chicago, Baltimore........even Indianapolis........

When dipstick p*sses away his millions he might ditch the jersey and go for a vest, ya know..........making a stand for his religion.

Convict....convictions...................eh, National Felon League.............nobody with a sober brain cares about em anymore.
    Hell, smart people when hammered still don't care.

Is this a Harley Rider tribute post?

Kut (tried the "read it fast" tip, but still has nothin')

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    14055200_1801653580067625_5462268065353571906_n.jpg

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    Yeah this is becoming the norm any more and I am just over it.

Same here. The big thing for me was that I started to feel like I was watching a professional wrestling. I was in disbelief when the inflation of footballs was a huge debacle for the Patriots, but the revelation that HGH was shipped to Peyton Mannings home while he was injured wasn't. If anyone actually checked out the Al Jazeera segments, they made no claims, but were simply following logical leads and NEWS! it seemed pretty damning to me and they were sharp about their reporting and their homework. What happened? Dismissed, because it was Al Jazeera, which lacked credibility to most Americans. Also, we were heading into Mannings last season and that story was BAD for the NFL. We had to get him another Super Bowl. I felt like some of the calls and tolerance of Talibs behavior showed favor toward the Broncos. On the other hand, you had Deflategate in the off season and most people LOVE to dislike the Patriots, so the additional press was GOOD for the NFL.

I was trying to determine why Kaepernick says that Trump is openly racist. I feel like I am pretty impartial and I haven't heard anything like that. Because David Duke supports him,??? which I am fairly certain is not sollicited. Because he wanted to deport ILLEGAL immigrants?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I was thinking this morning, how about a little appreciation for everything this country is instead of focusing, almost exclusively, on what it's not. This goes for outspoken quarterbacks as well as all citizens and INGO members.

Look, we all know the U.S. is not perfect. It never has been. It never will be. Utopia doesn't exist this side of the great divide. That being said, we all regardless of race, ethnicity or religion enjoy a level of freedom and opportunity here that is certainly not common around the world. We have a say in the direction of our government. We have been able to make changes, locally and nationally, when things went a direction we didn't like. We have advanced in protecting the rights of oppressed people, here and around the world, even while there is plenty of work left to do.

It seems like so many people are so self-focused that is everything isn't exactly the way they think it should be, then everything is horrible and needs to be bulldozed. That's childish thinking...and all too prominent. People take weird, they think, "profound" stances about our national symbols when the reality is that an anthem or a pledge is just a common expression that we love the country, whatever its faults, and we are committed to preserving and improving it. If you don't feel like participating, it is certainly your right and your business (there's one of those American concepts that is worthy of praise), but dropping out on the national ethos does not mark one as a person of principle, so much as someone waiting for everyone else to come around to their way of thinking. Once again, self-focus even when the self-focus is claimed to be on behalf of others or some commitment to a purity ideal of one's own choosing.

I love the U.S.A. I'm not afraid to say it. I don't think its hokey. i love the U.S. and I love to participate in the pledge and to sing the national anthem. It is not an unqualified endorsement of everything the government has ever or will ever do. That's a strange way to think. Rather, these are among the few times when we can, corporately, express an ideal of unity, even if we aren't unified on everything. We should be able to agree that we are grateful for the opportunities we have in this land, even while we seek to improve it.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I was thinking this morning, how about a little appreciation for everything this country is instead of focusing, almost exclusively, on what it's not. This goes for outspoken quarterbacks as well as all citizens and INGO members.

Look, we all know the U.S. is not perfect. It never has been. It never will be. Utopia doesn't exist this side of the great divide. That being said, we all regardless of race, ethnicity or religion enjoy a level of freedom and opportunity here that is certainly not common around the world. We have a say in the direction of our government. We have been able to make changes, locally and nationally, when things went a direction we didn't like. We have advanced in protecting the rights of oppressed people, here and around the world, even while there is plenty of work left to do.

It seems like so many people are so self-focused that is everything isn't exactly the way they think it should be, then everything is horrible and needs to be bulldozed. That's childish thinking...and all too prominent. People take weird, they think, "profound" stances about our national symbols when the reality is that an anthem or a pledge is just a common expression that we love the country, whatever its faults, and we are committed to preserving and improving it. If you don't feel like participating, it is certainly your right and your business (there's one of those American concepts that is worthy of praise), but dropping out on the national ethos does not mark one as a person of principle, so much as someone waiting for everyone else to come around to their way of thinking. Once again, self-focus even when the self-focus is claimed to be on behalf of others or some commitment to a purity ideal of one's own choosing.

I love the U.S.A. I'm not afraid to say it. I don't think its hokey. i love the U.S. and I love to participate in the pledge and to sing the national anthem. It is not an unqualified endorsement of everything the government has ever or will ever do. That's a strange way to think. Rather, these are among the few times when we can, corporately, express an ideal of unity, even if we aren't unified on everything. We should be able to agree that we are grateful for the opportunities we have in this land, even while we seek to improve it.

I don't think that "loving the USA" simplistically means you stand for the flag. I don't have any trouble at this point standing for the flag because I think there is still a shred of hope of shaking off the oligarchy. I also want to be clear that I honor those who have served and sacrificed, whether military or some other way. I don't take for granted that I was born into a situation of relative freedom and prosperity. But that freedom is diminishing. And the US is now an oligarchy, at least by my assessment.

It is the duty of a citizen of the republic to hold the government accountable. We should at least appreciate that aspect of what he is doing. He has a platform and he is risking his career (or at least it should be at risk for not following team traditions).

Again, if one of my employees felt so strongly about a political issue that they made a display of it at work, it would get them reprimanded and then terminated. But I might still respect their devotion to their cause.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Was this part of his interview already posted?

CK: We have a presidential candidate who has deleted emails and done things illegally and is a presidential candidate. That doesn’t make sense to me because if that was any other person you’d be in prison. So, what is this country really standing for?”

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom