• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    Anyone had any experience with the CMMG MK Mutant or the PSA KS47? Thinking about buying one of them, and looking for feedback from owners or people who have shot them.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I don't have any hands on experience, BUT I've looked into them a bit.

IF I had to have an AR that shot 7.62x39 and used AK mags I would go with the mutant. It's a little bigger because it's a hybrid of the AR10 platform, but pretty much cures the big issue with the 7.62x39 round and the AR-15 sized bolt and the little bitty locking lugs that get left after you make it work. The bigger AR10 bolt is much beefier and to me is the reason to go with the mutant. Everything else is pretty much the same.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 17, 2016
    Jasper County
    I have the CMMG mutant. Had it for a little over a year now. Great gun, fairly accurate and reliable. Only thing I've encountered is not all AK mags are the same. The magwell for the mutant accommodates most mags but not all. I have a US Palm mag that I had to modify the rear locking tab to get good lock up. My gun absolutely will not work with any tapco mag. Tried several now. All FTF after 4-5 rounds. I've had superb luck with all my pmag and polish surplus mags. Never had a FTE with the gun, just mag related issues. I prefer it over the PSA just because it's built off the 308 BCG but because it's a hybrid some parts are mutant specific like the charging handle and BCG. They aren't 5.56 or .308. They are somewhere in between so after market parts of these are still not available to my knowledge.

image.jpg
    Heres a picture of my mutant

Last edited:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    This is one of those rifles that I really don't get. I'm of the camp that doesn't believe every rifle on earth needs to mimic the AR platform, even though I realize that the modularity of it is probably it's biggest draw. I think if I wanted a 7.62X39 gun and the AK was ruled out, I'd buy a Sig 556R, fondly referred to in my circle of shooting friends as the "swAy-K". That way the rifle is still piston driven, and more refined than my beloved Kalashnikovs.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    This is one of those rifles that I really don't get. I'm of the camp that doesn't believe every rifle on earth needs to mimic the AR platform, even though I realize that the modularity of it is probably it's biggest draw. I think if I wanted a 7.62X39 gun and the AK was ruled out, I'd buy a Sig 556R, fondly referred to in my circle of shooting friends as the "swAy-K". That way the rifle is still piston driven, and more refined than my beloved Kalashnikovs.

did they ever make the 556R work right? I know the their first try at that was pretty terrible from most that had one.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    First run was a turd, second run is good to go. Only issue that I'm aware of is they are a little picky about what polymer mags fit, such as US Palm. Steel mags, no issues. That said, I've really enjoyed playing with my uncles, and have really considered picking one up. I love my Sig 556, so a 7.62 version makes sense to add to my safe.

Osprey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I don't have either one. The CMMG is way too overpriced to consider and I am not a big fan of anything PSA. I ended up getting my upper from HardenedArms and lower from Recoil Gun Works with the RRA NM 2-stage trigger. The only issue I had were the ASC magazines but realized I had to "break them in". I don't use steel ammo on it since this is too nice of a rifle for it. Love this rifle and it loves the brass I feed it. I had two AKs a few decades ago but never shot them. Today, I am familiar with the AR setup so I went with the AR look. The bolt is different from a standard AR15 bolt and I did get an enhanced firing pin and not a standard pin due to some of the 7.72x39 primer (it came with the upper no extra cost).

Top Bottom