• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • YoungGunLover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I have heard of people putting their brass in the washer in a bag and cleaning it that way. Well just thinking that when I start reloading in a little time, could I just use my old ice cream maker as the same method? Just put some type of cleaner and ammonia in it and let it sift the brass around? What do you guys think?

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    You really only need to wipe the outside of the brass off to keep "gunk and junk" from ruining the dies. I would not put any brass in anything that would be used for clothing and/or food potentially in the future.

You can make a tumbler very easy with an old wired drill, or get a bit more creative with an electric motor and a belt, or make a a vibratory tumbler.

Or you can soak them in a bucket and then dry. Just slosh them around every now and again.

If the brass never touches the ground it can be just wiped off.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    If you don't have a tumbler, try soaking it overnight in a bucket full of water with a scoop of Lemishine and some dishsoap. Agitate it a few times, and rinse well in the morning. It won't remove tarnish like a tumbler, but it gets it clean enough to reload.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    I have heard of people putting their brass in the washer in a bag and cleaning it that way. Well just thinking that when I start reloading in a little time, could I just use my old ice cream maker as the same method? Just put some type of cleaner and ammonia in it and let it sift the brass around? What do you guys think?

Just want to say NEVER use ammonia on brass. It can make the brass brittle.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End

Don't use anything that you be eating from or wearing cloths from or your family. Cases contain lead residue from the primers. Not a good thing if you wish a health family.

Can you clean it out, possibly, but if you try that use a lead test kit after cleaning.

Why not just purchase a tumbler for around $50 bucks? Thats barely a tank of gas today.

ewhitehouse

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Corydon, IN
    I think my $50 tumbler works great. Before I had that I just used some good old TLC and elbow grease. If you were never going to use the ice cream maker for making ice cream again and use it only to clean brass I don't see a problem with that. Good way to reuse something that you don't use any longer. But if you still had plans on using it I would just opt for the tumbler and save yourself the worry.

YoungGunLover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Yeah I was never going to use the ice cream maker again. That was my whole thing about using it, it was just sitting around collecting dust so I figured it would be a good way to save a few bucks and put it to use.

indianaarsenal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2012
    valparaiso IN
    so I guess the concrete mixer my dad used was overkill?? he would clean 6 gal pails at a time. nad let them run for 12 hours. but then again he was sorting a 55 gal drum a week to sell. the brass was clean as new..

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Was reading my RCBS manual and was surprised to read that tumbling is the only way to get the grit removed from brass that damages the dies and the gun. This goes against what I've learned about cleaning brass. So does anybody know about or are there any cement mixers, old washing machines out there. Maybe I could put the brass in my tires and drive around for day.

PMY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2008
    Mishawaka
    More than once I've run a piece of brass through the laundry when I didn't check my pants pockets thoroughly. Came out pretty clean.

You should not take this an endorsement for bulk brass cleaning in the washing machine. However, the end result was better than the time I ran my old cell phone through the washer and dryer.

xring62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Henry county
    I put brass in a bucket,dish detergent and swish around,rinse,let dry for a few days. or a media in tumbler with New Finnish car wax ,cheaper and better than costly polish for that

Top Bottom