Clays / wing-shooting in Northern Indiana?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbo Kern

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    I'm not much of a shotgun guy, but I like to dabble with clay games and upland wingshooting. I seem to have hit a wall.

I don't have much instruction, as nobody I know hunts upland birds or shoots any clay games, so I have had to teach myself.

I used to do ok (about 80%) with a 12 guage semi-auto I had, but I sold the gun for various reasons. The only shotguns I own now are a .410 pump and a slug gun.

I have never been able to get beter than 25% with the 410, despite the nice patterns it shoots on paper with proper ammo. I shot a box of clays this mourning, and again missed most of them. I tried snap-shooting this time, and the results were a bit better, but still nowhere near satisfactory.

Assuradly there are problems with my stance, focus, or mis judging my lead... but since there are no clubs, guides, or serious shotgun ranges within reasonable driving distance (1 hr or less), how can I get help with any of this? :n00b:

rev500ss

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Royal Center
    shooting clays can be hard enough without adding in the extra challenge of doing it with a 410 pump shotgun. find yourself a decent pump shotgun in 12 gauge and you will find that most of your issues are coming from the lack of lead that you are putting down range. just my .02

If your dead set on shooting the 410, the best thing you can do is practice, practice, practice. You throw less lead down range with a 410 shotgun therefore your accuracy is going to have to be above average if you plan to get back up into the 80's for a score.

hip shot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    .410's are for experts and a **** poor choice for a novice but regardless of what you shoot you need a place to shoot (and learn from others)

Find a Gun Club to shoot Skeet, Trap, Five Stand and Sporting Clays

Try going to Back 40 for some clays, there are some guys doing a good job of coaching. Try bob self at the Indiana gun club. Also ditch that 410, and get yourself an auto loader 12 Ga. Remington 1100 is usuallly the most afordable. :popcorn:

win87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2009
    elkhart in
    If shooting clays or game. The best shotgun is a 12 gage over under or a s/s. 2 different chokes. The shotgun can be used in dubbles in trap and or game you kick up at different range. A single barrel shotgun can do only 1 range. As far as shooting clays start your shotgun at about 15' ahead of trap house when you call pull.

Top Bottom