• ...and so much more!
  • rawbeervoter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 13, 2020
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Hi All,

I've made a few purchases from folks on the classifieds section and have come up with a couple questions.

1. If you come across a post and you're confident you would like to make the purchase, should you specifically communicate to the seller that the offer is contingent upon a basic inspection of the item? Or is that sort of implied already without having to say it? I haven't run into a situation where I did not want to move forward with the purchase, but wanted to hear what others had to say.

2. If you make an offer to someone for full asking price and they don't respond, how long should you wait before contacting them again?

Thanks

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Not a lawyer, but my college business law taught me posting an ad for an item was making an open offer to anyone.
    Responding to the add with a private message saying "I'll take it" established a contract to purchase said item from said advertiser.

So generally, if you say "I'll take it" you are committing to buy it.

At the meet up, from a contractual perspective, it would be bad form to try to negotiate the price down or back out of purchasing the item (assuming of course the item was not the item in the ad, or was in substantially worse condition).

If you only (added) want to inspect the item before buying, you should not commit to buying in your response. Make sure the guy knows you're just gonna window shop before he drives any length to meet you.

I've never had any bad experiences selling stuff on INGO. But I've only ever sold a few things here and there.

Last edited:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    If you want to inspect the item before buying, you should not commit to buying in your response. Make sure the guy knows you're just gonna window shop before he drives any length to meet you.
    I disagree here. There is a big difference between inspecting an item and window shopping. A buyer has every right to inspect an item before paying for it, and he's not very smart if he does not.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I disagree here. There is a big difference between inspecting an item and window shopping. A buyer has every right to inspect an item before paying for it, and he's not very smart if he does not.

My initial comment was a little misleading. I didn't mean the buyer should make sure the rifle was in the same condition. I just meant the buyer wasn't serious about buying, and just wanted to look at it without committing to buy.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    My initial comment was a little misleading. I didn't mean the buyer should make sure the rifle was in the same condition. I just meant the buyer wasn't serious about buying, and just wanted to look at it without committing to buy.
    Yeah, that's a whole different thing. If someone is just browsing, they need to let the seller know before the meet. I guess whether the meet actually happens depends on how many people are interested. If there is no demand, it may be worth the trip, but if there is, ain't nobody got time for browsing.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If they dont respond, I dont reply again. If they really want to sell it, they will contact me. it could be that they dont want to sell it to you. Some people wont deal with 50 post wonders that never participate outside the classifieds because if they cant get a feel for the type of person you are, they may not want to do business with you.

And another note, be clear about your expectations. If you want to see an ID, LTCH, or write a bill of sale, be up front about it. Just like springing a lower offer* on them at the meetup, or asking them to do something last second isnt cool. Because they very may well have never agreed to drive to meet you based on the sudden new terms of the deal.

And if you are bringing anyone with you, be up front. If they are expecting a one on one meetup, and its more than just your wife and kid with you,let them know. If they are expecting to meet one guy and a carload of guys shows up, thats gonna make some people reeeeeal nervous. Bad things have happened in deals like that. (never here that I am aware of though)

*If the item is in significantly worse shape than advertises, it might be OK to offer lower. Like "Hey, you never said the barrel was shortened with a saw and not re-crowned. It will cost me $100 to re-crown it, so knock $100 off and Ill take it. "

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    When dealing with someone be very clear with your intentions. State that you will accept the item as described in the ad and quote the ad as it is when you make the offer. That protects you from edits. It might also help if you let the seller know what you want to inspect if you have specific concerns. If your offer has a time limit specify it in the offer, that way you can move on if you don't get a response.

Take screenshots of your messages about the deal in case you need them later.

My experience with deals in the classifieds to this point has been excellent.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    You have the right to walk at anytime. If you get there and something gives you an uneasy feeling, walk away. Same goes for seller.
    As far as sending a second message, i don't have a problem with that. Sometimes people get busy and forget. Also realize you only have 57 post, and as CM said some people will choose not to deal with you because of that.

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    I communicate any Special Circumstances in the Offer ---
    i.e. I have small hands and never handled that model ... so it would need to fit my grip --- if the seller does not want to accept -- they just say NO ...

On a side note there is the expectation of Working Condition --- I see multiple ads that state they got it in a deal and have not fired it - which opens the Buyer Beware flag ...

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    JMHO
    If you're picky with whom you buy/sell/trade with, none of the issues discussed become a concern.
    This is not always possible, so caution and honesty will most likely save ya the headache.
    My dealings here have all went exceptionally well and I've met some solid folks that I'd deal with anytime.

shadow64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    Plainfield
    I have traded and purchased a dozen or so times (site supporter) only had one that would not sell to me even with positive feedback. Never had any issues with condition , any concerns I discuss when setting up time to meet that gives both parties a chance to say no or to clarify .

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I'm not traveling to LOOK, I'm going with the intention of buying/selling/trading, IF the item is not as advertised I would offer less, or refuse. Here on INGO, all my transactions have been great. Most gun guys are pretty ok, so never a problem....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    1st....if they do not respond to a full asking price offer andf the ad remains in play (open) please report the ad to the staff. If the item is sold and the ad not closed that is something we will deal with. As to who the sellers lets buy it is up to the seller not the staff.

I have asked specific questions as to condition of an item. When I see it and the condition does not match what the seller said I have handed it back and walked away. If you are honest and up front thats what this site promotes. As with any large group there are a handful of people that will do what ever they can to make a buck.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    How does everyone feel about a seller who sells to a 2nd person while you were trying set a time & place with them?
    We call those people A-holes.

Unless the buyer sets an unreasonable timeframe. "sorry, I dont get paid until next Friday. I can meet you next Friday night." (10 days) If the seller can find someone else that is willing to meet sooner, give the first buyer the option to meet sooner if they can. If they cant... :dunno:

But there is no hard and fast rule.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    honestly no complaints here. everyone has been great. if a deal isn't going to work out, it's been pretty straight forward. no one likes wasting their time. plus, it's a community in here. reputations stick.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'll answer Jason's post first. Sometimes the offers come in fast and furious and your inbox gets overwhelmed. You are replying to a question or asking a question in return and during that time another offer comes in. If the second offer is a solid, I'll take it and I can meet you today at 4 pm at the McDonalds on 4th and main, it is likely the seller will take it because the first guy was stuck in the details. Sorta like CM is saying about taking too much time to make a decision.

As far as me selling, with one exception where I screwed up, I take the first full price offer and if it's a reduced offer I will negotiate. I also let the buyer know that when we meet they are under no obligation to buy if the item is not what they expected.

That said, if they try to negotiate with me at the location, I won't. Either take it at the agreed upon price or not. I sell my items very reasonable and there is a good chance I have several back up buyers. For the record, I have never had anyone back out of a deal or try to negotiate at the transaction site.

People who have dealt with me know I usually over deliver. Like the guy last week who got 1000 9 mm casings along with the 1200 .38 Special casings he bought from me. I have so may 9 mm and he was a good customer who met me within 3 minutes of my home so he got a "bonus".

Top Bottom