• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Had a '98 Cherokee Sport. Friggin' bullet proof! I read somewhere that the Cherokee (not Grand Cherokee) drivetrain was one of the most durable ever built. Also, what's nice about them, is they're pretty easy to work on. Did replace the water pump and radiator, but what do you expect for a car with 260,000 miles.

362579117.jpg
    Pretty Jeep

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I have been looking for a secondary vehicle, primarily for back and forth to work, the occasial camping trip, and to haul my dirt bike during the summer months. I have been looking a 1996 Cherokee. It has the 4.0 auto trans and 4wd works. To my understanding it has not been modified and has lived its life as a daily driver/ garage queen. I have been told to check for "death wobble" on suspension parts and leaky valve cover gasket. Is there anything else to look for besides the obvious leaks, ticks, noises.

I had a 1996 basic Cherokee for a company car. I loved it, and was sorry to give it up after 170,000 miles (especially since my new one was a Liberty). We had several in our "fleet" and I remember them being good vehicles. Mine had a problem with the gauge pack that affected the speedometer; it would periodically quit working for days on end, then be fine for a day or two. If I remember, they changed it out twice before the problem was solved, and I think two of our jeeps had the problem.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I had a 1996 basic Cherokee for a company car. I loved it, and was sorry to give it up after 170,000 miles (especially since my new one was a Liberty). We had several in our "fleet" and I remember them being good vehicles. Mine had a problem with the gauge pack that affected the speedometer; it would periodically quit working for days on end, then be fine for a day or two. If I remember, they changed it out twice before the problem was solved, and I think two of our jeeps had the problem.
    My '97 did that. When they bolted up the steering column they pinched one of the wiring harnesses and it finally wore through the insulation and had an intermediate ground to the column.

DRAIN SURGEON

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Mooresvile
    Just turned 400,000 on my 97 grand Cherokee .tranny was rebuilt at 306,000 trying for 500,000.PCU went bad at 200,000 and almost 400,000. When it starts dying and backfiring at random times thats usually what it is. Like others have said it eats brakes. 6cyl gets 15 on highway.

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Just turned 400,000 on my 97 grand Cherokee .tranny was rebuilt at 306,000 trying for 500,000.PCU went bad at 200,000 and almost 400,000. When it starts dying and backfiring at random times thats usually what it is. Like others have said it eats brakes. 6cyl gets 15 on highway.

We are looking into getting a late 90’s early 2000’s Cherokee. What kind of fuel mileage are the rest of you getting?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    We are looking into getting a late 90’s early 2000’s Cherokee. What kind of fuel mileage are the rest of you getting?

My '95 is the V8 in the Grand Limited. 11-13 in town, 23-24 on the highway and I got 26 on the way back from Iowa St. under ideal conditions. 255,000 miles.
    my 97 with the 6 cyl gets close to 13 no matter how or where you drive it. 200,003 (spedo broken when I got it about 5 years ago)
    My 2003 doesn't do much better in town but almost 25 on the road. 57,000

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I bought a '96 sport brand new for my birthday. I let it go a couple of years ago. It averaged 18-20 mpg in mixed driving but it had a manual transmission. I'm a fairly agressive driver so I surely would have gotten better out of it if I drove like my mother in law.

Like everyone has said the 4L is bullet proof. I put 200k on it and only replaced the alternator, water pump and heater fan. But I maintained it religiously.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Are you tall, OP?

I drove one as a work vehicle for a few years (until a little old lady ran a red light and T-boned me - nearly flipped me over).

I had a heck of a time getting and being comfortable in it. I was 6'2-3 and in much better shape then.

Didn't have much room under the steering wheel for my knees and the "driver box" was too narrow. The transmission / drive shaft tunnel was too big and too intrusive.

Also - what do you drive back and forth to work in currently? Would buying such an old and (potential) money-pit vehicle make any economic sense?

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Are you tall, OP?

I drove one as a work vehicle for a few years (until a little old lady ran a red light and T-boned me - nearly flipped me over).

I had a heck of a time getting and being comfortable in it. I was 6'2-3 and in much better shape then.

Didn't have much room under the steering wheel for my knees and the "driver box" was too narrow. The transmission / drive shaft tunnel was too big and too intrusive.

Also - what do you drive back and forth to work in currently? Would buying such an old and (potential) money-pit vehicle make any economic sense?

6'2-3 here with my tallness in my legs. I found it comfortable. The only problem for me was no cruise control which I like.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne

6.0L or 4.7 V8?

We have had many Jeeps and the wife still drives a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. We get roughly 14mpg with the V8 and our 6.0L's we all 16 to 18mpg. The wife has just under 200,000 miles on hers only needing to replace brakes, tires and serpentine belt. We sold our last 6.0L with 260,000 on it and it was running like a champ.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    6'2-3 here with my tallness in my legs. I found it comfortable. The only problem for me was no cruise control which I like.

I hated not having CC, either. But I came into that Jeep after having driven a Dodge 2500 cargo van for a few years. No CC on that pig, either.

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    Did someone say Cherokee? :D

The 96 is an odd year. The fuel pump is a one year only deal, some of the connectors are old style and some are 97+ depending on the build date. They are solid though. Mine is a 97 that I bought 5 years ago at 92k. The only mechanical maintenance I've done that wasn't offroad wear and tear was the cooling system. It's been on countless trail rides in Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee and Even Moab Utah. She's been a good ole girl and still cruises the interstate with no issues. Death wobble can be from many factors. If you need info on anything Cherokee related check out North American XJ Association! :patriot:

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    02 WJ with the 4.0... 7 years, and had a valve drop (freak accident), other than that Ive done the cv joint on the front drive shaft and routine maintenance. Im knocking on the 200k door, and plan on 300k before I consider trading unless I get my new camper sooner and need a truck.

Top Bottom