Civil law question! Need advice for a family member.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    To anybody who can help, I need a little advice for a family member. I'll try and keep this short and to the point....

In 2009, unknown to her, her husband put a medical bill in her name. (Husband now deceased.) Originally $3000, but with interest and fees, it's now over $9000. Both parties are being represented, but she is continually growing less fond of her current attorney. So a few years ago, the judgement was filed against her, but she's been unable to pay, so nothing has happened since.

Now when we looked online at the county government website, the civil case is now showing CLOSED with a $0 balance due. Does that mean she's in the clear? Do these things just drop off after a while?

Thanks guys!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Debts do become uncollectible after a certain number of years if there's no action started. I think it's 6 years in Indiana, but am by no means an expert. I recall some shady debt collectors were changing dates on debts, which is illegal, though.

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    Debts do become uncollectible after a certain number of years if there's no action started. I think it's 6 years in Indiana, but am by no means an expert. I recall some shady debt collectors were changing dates on debts, which is illegal, though.

Thanks for the info. That's another reason she's becoming detached from her attorney. He is saying 10 years, but I've also heard 6. Just not sure what's what at this point. Plus, is it 6 from when all this started, or 6 from the last time the case was touched?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Okay, I was thinking it was his bill they were trying to collect. Since it isn't, I can't help. Sorry.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    In this case it sounds like there was both an action and a judgment so there wouldn't be a statute of limitations problem with collecting it.

OP, can you give the names of the parties and county or the case number so I can look up the CCS?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    In this case it sounds like there was both an action and a judgment so there wouldn't be a statute of limitations problem with collecting it.

OP, can you give the names of the parties and county or the case number so I can look up the CCS?

im sure he meant to say "PM me the details"

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County

Sending PM in a few. Thank you!
    im sure he meant to say "PM me the details"
    Ha ha! That's a given. :)

Top Bottom