• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Drew Estates makes some excellent high grade cigars, they are the company behind the highly esteemed ROCKY PATEL brand of cigars as well as several others. The NATURAL line of cigars is a premium line of oddly named cigars with some unusual flavors in their line up.

The cigar I smoked today was a "DIRT TORPEDO" and the wrapper was a maduro wrapper. I love the sweeter flavor imparted by maduro wrappers, they tend to cut some of the harshness found in some blends. Maduro is the dark, often nearly black wrapper. On the DIRT TORPEDO the wrapper is a nice dark brown. The fermentation process used to make maduro wrappers often leaves them with a nice flexible oily feel and this little cigar was a great example of a one with a wrapper that had good flexibility without any hint of being brittle. Maduro wrappers also tend to have more prominent veining and a thicker wrapper and this was no exception.

2-1-3.jpg

Torpedo is a shape, so its more a descriptor than anything else. The DIRT TORPEDO had a very pointy torpedo shape with a fairly long taper to the point. Some other are almost blunted, but this one has a long enough taper that when you cut the end you still have plenty of taper left to grab onto when you smoke the cigar.

The cigar was a medium intensity blend, possibly leaning to medium-mild, but not mild. Clearly its more robust than the mild cigars on the market. Nothing harsh about it, but its going to make some non-smokers who pick it up a bit dizzy.

What surprised me was the sweetness of the cigar. Not like a SWISHER SWEET, but still, this cigar clearly had something sweet about it that didn't overwhelm but was obvious never the less. It also has some sort of a clove or spice overtone to the smoke. The clove/spice flavoring was also very obvious, it was not an understated flavor that you barely perceived but rather it was very obvious, but not unpleasant in any way.

I would not choose this as my daily cigar, simply put I am not one who looks for spiced or sweet cigars. Its a quality blend, and if you want something DIFFERENT then this might be a good choice. Not inexpensive either, this is a small cigar, perhaps 5" long (I should have measured it) with a good thick ring gauge (probably about a 50 to 54) so it smokes fairly quickly and the smoke is not too hot. I found I smoked it down pretty low, taking off the brand's large decorative band so I could continue smoking.

For my tastes this is a pretty good cigar, but I don't consider it a serious smoke. Maybe good for an afternoon on the golf course? A bachelor party? If you enjoy spiced cigars then give it a try, but if you don't then you probably want to avoid it.

Other cigars in the NATURAL brand line up include names like the PIMP STICK and IRISH HOPPS. This is the only variety that I've tried so I can't speak for the other shapes, sizes, blends.

tedbower

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    mooresville
    I usually smoke punch gran cru , or any of the cao brand, romeo y julieta reserve are good or montecristo and padron . Oh well i could go on but i like several brands.I usually have a variety in my humidor.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I usually smoke punch gran cru , or any of the cao brand, romeo y julieta reserve are good or montecristo and padron . Oh well i could go on but i like several brands.I usually have a variety in my humidor.

Punch Gran Cru varieties are often very good, ditto their line of Gran Puro cigars. I've got some Gran Cru Robusto Maduros in my stash.

If you like Punch, then try some of the better Bolivar cigars.

Nice review! I'm not a regular smoker, but I do enjoy them occasionally, especially with a Johnnie Walker Black on the rocks.
    This is exactly the type of cigar that falls into the "occasional" smoke. Its nice, but not something I'd want daily. Good with a strong ale, scotch, or other stout adult beverage.

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    This is exactly the type of cigar that falls into the "occasional" smoke. Its nice, but not something I'd want daily. Good with a strong ale, scotch, or other stout adult beverage.

Based on your review, I think you are right about it's flavors complimenting a stout or perhaps a nice IPA.

:+1:

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    Never tried the Drew Estate line of cigars but enjoyed many an Indian Tabac Super Fuerte, Sancho Panza, etc etc. Purchased my last box of Manuel Quesada Cubitas in March ahead of Obama's SCHIP tax ($.40 per cigar tax) and promised myself not to buy another cigar as long as I live. Boy, I sure do miss 'em.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    I am used to "dirt torpedo" being used to name something else. I couldn't put anything with that name in my mouth! :n00b:

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Is it bad that a woman smokes cigars? Because, it is ONE of my guilty pleasures. I know NOTHING about the cigars I smoke except the fact that they taste great! :)

Top Bottom