• ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    As a promised little lenovo customer engineer I am telling the world to never buy a lenovo chromebook.

After a month it locked up and and would not let me in unless unless I changed my Google password. After changing my Google password it canceled all of my local settings, my apps or the work that I had done before.

It took me maybe an hour to an hour and a 1/2 to reinstall everything I needed, then it was fine for a while.

The 1st time this happened it was very irritating very irritating a month later it did the same thing and a month later and a month later and a month later and a month later and a month later and a month later and a month later and a month later.

The 3rd time I reset my Google password went into settings and did a hard reset on the tablet because on the Internet I read that that would solve the problem. However however it happened again yesterday.

I finally called lavano lenovo and they said they said that I had to go in change my password and do a hard reset again.

I told him thank you for his help I was not upset with him but I was going outside to take a hammer to it.

20220505_094525.jpg I don't care I lost 200 bucks the frustration is worth the joy of beating it smithereens.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Ouch!

I’ve been lucky with electronic tech, overall. The only serious issue I’ve had was in late January of this year when my current phone (iPhone XS) did a software update during the night and got stuck in a perpetual cycle of resetting itself. Nothing I did could fix it, and I tried everything (I was literally up all night trying to fix it as I needed my phone at work the next day), so I eventually had to do a factory reset on it. I lost a TON of photos, podcasts, contacts, etc. (that’s on me, as I was too lazy to set up my extended cloud storage so nothing over the baseline storage limit got backed up). I still have that same phone and so far it seems OK (going on 3.5 years old now, though), but I immediately signed up for extended cloud storage.

At my new gig here, I still need my phone. Probably more so than at my old job. At the first sign of trouble I’ll be replacing this one. Sucks that tech doesn’t seem to last as long as it once did. :rolleyes:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    There is a lot online about this model doing this. Threads about a fix coming.

I didn't lose anything. it was compatible with my phone and all of the same APs it was just frustrating to bring everything up to date every time it locked up.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I always turn automatic updates off on things especially iPhone.
    It will let you know when there’s an update available and I always back up to my PC before I allow it to update so I have a good restore point to come back to.

Never had a Chromebook as I distrust the Google operating system(Or anything Google for that matter).

I have an original iPad and it’s never locked up on me.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Don’t need a ms account at all. However if you install and set up user with an active network it will do everything they can to make you sign up for one. I never connect the network until after initial setup, that way you can just create a local account.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I always turn automatic updates off on things especially iPhone.
    It will let you know when there’s an update available and I always back up to my PC before I allow it to update so I have a good restore point to come back to.

Never had a Chromebook as I distrust the Google operating system(Or anything Google for that matter).

I have an original iPad and it’s never locked up on me.
    IMO you shouldn't trust Apple any more than Google, Microsoft, Facebook, or Amazon. That said, you don't have to trust them to use their products either. I suppose it's choosing the lesser evil or at least knowing what you're getting into.

Drewski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2019
    Deep South Side
    As a promised little lenovo customer engineer I am telling the world to never buy a lenovo chromebook.

After a month it locked up and and would not let me in unless unless I changed my Google password. After changing my Google password it canceled all of my local settings, my apps or the work that I had done before.

It took me maybe an hour to an hour and a 1/2 to reinstall everything I needed, then it was fine for a while.

The 1st time this happened it was very irritating very irritating a month later it did the same thing and a month later and a month later and a month later and a month later and a month later and a month later and a month later and a month later.

The 3rd time I reset my Google password went into settings and did a hard reset on the tablet because on the Internet I read that that would solve the problem. However however it happened again yesterday.

I finally called lavano lenovo and they said they said that I had to go in change my password and do a hard reset again.

I told him thank you for his help I was not upset with him but I was going outside to take a hammer to it.

View attachment 198934 I don't care I lost 200 bucks the frustration is worth the joy of beating it smithereens.
    giphy.gif

I hear ya. I was a tech nerd since I was a kid in the early 80's and most of that time it seems was spent troubleshooting the long parade of PCs. My kids use Chromebooks from school, but that's different from your situation obviously.
    I'm not evangelizing by any means, just some compu-anecdotes, but I bought my non-techie wife a relatively expensive macbook in 2009 and the thing is still running perfectly. Never been into the shop, and I've done nothing to it but add some RAM and swap the HDD for an SSD. I enjoyed it so much I got an iMac in 2011, and dadgummit, that thing is still running - at a workhorse pace - ever since, and I give it no breaks. It cost more than an equivalent PC, but come on - 11 years for a desktop that has done loads of video processing? I would've gone through probably 3-4 PCs in that time. As much as I can't stand Tim Apple and all the gay and woke posturing, it's tough to argue with the results I've gotten out of their equipment.

One question though, what's "a promised little lenovo customer engineer?" :dunno:

Top Bottom