• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jordan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Camby/Moorseville
    I am a bit nostalgic about the Ithaca. Love that DSPS. Do not care for the complexity of take downs. Think slam fire would be fun once or twice. What about aftermarket?

On the Mossberg 500 so far I like the Thunder Ranch model. Seems like a simple, durable shotgun with lots of aftermarket support.

Remington 870 - pretty much same opinion as on the Mossy.

Your thoughts?

Bmrdude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Have never had the 870, so I can't give a fair comparison, however have owned several M500 series shotguns. Very durable and accurate shotguns. Easily broken down for cleaning or maintenance. Many accessories/add-ons. Which 500 series works for you? Depends on what you want it for... hunting or defense. For hunting, 500 with long barrel (.12 or .20 gauge). For defense, 590A1 (.12 gauge #4 buckshot if in the house, 00 buck or slugs if outside the house).

Good luck on your shotgun quest!:)

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Ive had all 3. My thoughts are this.

If you are a lefty go with the 37. The bottom eject will be worth its weight in gold.

If not I like the 870 better. The reason for this is my first shotgun was a 870 so I got usto the saftey by the trigger. Had my first shotgun been a 500 I would probably like the saftey on the top better. To me the remington forarm appears to be solidier than the mossbergs aswell, but the mossbeerg holds 1 extra round.

Bottom line between the Mossberg and Remington get wichever I really dont think there is enough diffrence to stress over it to much:twocents:

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Ithaca. Cuz that's what My dad handed down to me... whom his Uncle handed down to him. Great trap gun for me. The barrel on mine isn't really suited for home defense (not that it wouldn't do the job though)

twfshelton

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    The woods of green
    it has been years since I have shot my 37, but it isn't quick to fire off just throwing one round in like the mossy and 870. beautiful shotgun, but not as versital as the other 2

model60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    My self defense shotgun is a 12ga. coach gun with #4 heavy loads, bird hunt with an semi auto, have owned many pumps over the years...must have dual slide rails; watch out for rolled pins vs solid pins, bottom eject vs side personal choice, safety location and ease to operate (M500 was stiff for years). Just some things to take into consideration.

Oresti

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    I've got a 50's era Ithaca featherweight in 20 gauge. I think the Ithaca's are one of the best pump guns but if you are looking at something for home defense I would go with a Mossberg 590, maybe even the new 870 Magpul edition.

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    I have had an 870 for about 15 years and i like it. I dont ever recall having a malfunction. I was given a older 500 in 20guage. It was dirty and the last few inches of the barrel was rusted bad so i cut it down to 18/1/4" and cut an inch off the stock. To me it seems like an 870 is built a little better but i like the safety and pump button arrangement on the 500 alot better. On a 500 i dont have to move my hand to work the pump button. I would trust my life with either of them. I dont have any experience with the 37. The 500 is a bit cheaper for about the same setup so that is a plus.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    There is a reason the 870 has been around as long as it has, sold as many as it has. It is a quality shotgun. I like the Wingmaster.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    I own both, the 500 and an 870. The 870 is still rather new to me considering I've only owned it for a few months now, the mossy I've had for almost 20 years. The mossy has never let me down, never failed, I took my first deer with it at 12 year old, it's been a great gun. That being said, I love my new 870. It's an 870t and has a 6 position stock on it, so it was built for a different purpose than the mossy I own, but boy does it feel more solid. I like the safety of the 870 better and the fact that the slide doesn't rattle the way the 500 does (I'm not sure if new 500's still rattle the way the older ones do or not). They've both been accurate (though the longer barrel of my mossy is an unfair advantage at a distance). I wouldn't hesitate on either, find the one YOU like best for the price your willing to pay. Both have clearly been accepted in the marketplace.

Erich

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    High Desert of New Mexico
    Hmm. Okay, I'm a southpaw and a gunsmith friend thinks highly of them, so the Ithaca would be my hypothetical choice for myself.

For virtually anyone else - just due to the array of parts and accessories and gunsmithing available - I'd recommend the 870.

And what I actually have? Well, that would be the gun that I've had the longest, an apparently indestructible Mossberg 500. :)

Top Bottom