• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I can't complaint too much, it did make it 234,000 miles before causing a problem.

So almost a year after the Silverado transitioned from my daily to my teenage son's runabout, it started tapping...more like knocking, pretty loud (but not as much as rod knock). It also threw a code for a cylinder 4 misfire.

Some of you may know that this is the tell-tale sign for a displacement of demand lifter getting stuck in the collapsed, 4 cyl mode because cyl. 4 is one that deactivates. This can destroy the engine if run too much in this condition.

The standard shop solution is replacing lifters, a $2k job that involves pulling the heads, IF there hasn't been too much damage already. Then, it can happen again unless you delete the DoD which can cost over a grand, leaving you with a $3k solution on what is probably an old truck (mine is).

But then there's the "backyard" solution. There's a guy with a YouTube channel and a shop in South Dakota that has developed a technique to "release" the stuck lifter (special tool, $38). Then, you have to keep it from ever going into 4 cyl. mode again. So, with that tool, an intake manifold and valve cover gasket set and the electronics to turn off DoD and many hours, you too have about an 80-90% chance of fixing it. Sometimes it doesn't work, or it has gone too far for the "trick". I probably spent $200 in total, but I did some other maintenance since I had it apart.

The trick is essentially this- you have to take the intake manifold off (no small feat) then there is a plate under it called the VLOM (Valve Lifter Oil Manifold). When 4 cyl mode is called for, high pressure oil is directed though this manifold to the 4 cylinders to turn off. Oil pressure forces pins in the lifter in and the lifters collapse, turning off the cylinder. The computer also shuts the injectors off.

You take the VLOM off. Then there are passages in the block valley leading to all of the cylinders that get deactivated. I hear that the intake lifters are pretty much the only ones that fail.

You know what cylinder is your problem by taking off the valve covers and there should be a super-loose rocker. Take the rocker off on the affected valve, then in the oil passage in the valley, put a specially shaped tool, a punch of sorts, down the passage to the lifter- then tap on the punch...sometimes harder than you think is prudent and if it works, the push rod will shoot all the way out of the engine bay when it releases.

Then, you disable displacement on demand. You do this mechanically and electronically. Mechanically, the special punch comes with a bushing that you drive into a passage in the VLOM that blocks oil from being send to deactivate the lifters (the lifters are are not lubricated through the VLOM, just the cylinder deactivation). Then, you can get the computer reprogramed or, I went cheaper and got a thing that plugs into the OBD2 port and deactivates it so the signal is never sent to the VLOM and injectors are not shut off.

It's a very involved job, but she is running fine now. However, I will be selling it soon and we need a more fuel efficient car for when my son starts driving to Griffith for welding school.

Here is a video and the website for the guy where I got the tool.

https://www.crazedperformancerepair.com/

Last edited:

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Did you buy the range device to disable the Afm? Definitely need to disable that 4 cylinder junk. I used a tuner to lock mine out. There is not any improved mileage with these idiotic management systems worth the trouble. No reason to build a 4 cylinder truck. You want to save money on gas buy a Prius!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Did you buy the range device to disable the Afm? Definitely need to disable that 4 cylinder junk. I used a tuner to lock mine out. There is not any improved mileage with these idiotic management systems worth the trouble. No reason to build a 4 cylinder truck. You want to save money on gas buy a Prius!
    Not made by range, but the same type of thing. In addition to the electronic block of DoD, I plugged the oil supply to the VLOM and removed the gaskets from the VLOM to the oil passages in the valley, so there is no physical way to build oil pressure to collapse the lifters.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So when you sell, do you disclose this mod? Could be seen as a positive by most I would assume. "what? I'll never have to deal with this madness? OK!"

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Fluffy is not going to be happy with you.
    I wonder if someone does something similar for Dodge MDS

You can easily tune out MDS on the Ram, or put it in tow/haul mode, or manually select your highest gear (the tranny will shift normally, since the gear select only means it won't shift above that gear).

There's not much reason to do so in the Ram, though, unless you get a vibration from the MDS. The lifter/cam issues in the RAM are the same as in the non-MDS hemis and there's been no indication it happens more readily on one or the other.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I miss the good old days when I could work on my ‘70 Chevy Nova 302 small block V8 in front of the frat house I lived in. Water pump takes a ****? No problem. Need to adjust the points? No problem? Need to change spark plugs? No problem. Hell, even a leaky valve cover gasket can be a real pain in the ass these days. When I worked on my own car back then it was all familiar because it was like working on dad’s sprint car. This **** sucks.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So when you sell, do you disclose this mod? Could be seen as a positive by most I would assume. "what? I'll never have to deal with this madness? OK!"
    I will. I will tell them exactly what I did. I don't think it's a bad thing. I'm probably only looking to get $2500, so not rotted out, new fuel pump, new belts, decent tires, cold air, (now) running well, oil change tomorrow. I thinking it will sell alright.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    I miss the good old days when I could work on my ‘70 Chevy Nova 302 small block V8 in front of the frat house I lived in. Water pump takes a ****? No problem. Need to adjust the points? No problem? Need to change spark plugs? No problem. Hell, even a leaky valve cover gasket can be a real pain in the ass these days. When I worked on my own car back then it was all familiar because it was like working on dad’s sprint car. This **** sucks.
    Yes! And you didn’t need a scan tool to tell you what’s going on under the hood and you could turn your brights on with your foot!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I hate that cylinder deactivation crap. It's just another thing to break. They're still doing it. I do like getting near 23 mpg on the hwy with a V8 when gas is $4/gal. It's not that important. But I'd rather not have something else to go wrong.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I hate that cylinder deactivation crap. It's just another thing to break. They're still doing it. I do like getting near 23 mpg on the hwy with a V8 when gas is $4/gal. It's not that important. But I'd rather not have something else to go wrong.
    No doubt. I like my Kia Sorento V6. But I wont buy another Sorento because they no longer offer a V6. Only a turbo 4. I dont care about whether it has a lag or not. (My sales weasel made that assumption about my displeasure when he told me during a conversation while I was getting an oil change) I care that a turbo adds more parts to break, and puts greater stresses on the engine, making major failures more likely.

I just want a 3rd row SUV with a V6 with basic features that is dependable and doesnt break the bank.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No doubt. I like my Kia Sorento V6. But I wont buy another Sorento because they no longer offer a V6. Only a turbo 4. I dont care about whether it has a lag or not. (My sales weasel made that assumption about my displeasure when he told me during a conversation while I was getting an oil change) I care that a turbo adds more parts to break, and puts greater stresses on the engine, making major failures more likely.

I just want a 3rd row SUV with a V6 with basic features that is dependable and doesnt break the bank.
    Sounds like you need a Camaro. Maybe C8 corvette. Something a little less practical. :):

Top Bottom