Cheese Toastie or Grilled Cheese Sammich?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Heathens, the lot of you! Everybody knows that Campbell's Tomato soup, made with milk, is for dipping peanut butter sandwiches in! You top grilled cheeses with tomato and bacon, and eat them no dipping required!

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Grilled cheese here. Made even better by using mozzarella cheese and adding pepperoni slices with a dab of pizza sauce.

Or, if you have the old school sandwich sealer griddles, make a pb 'n j in there. Warm gooey heaven.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    in our house its a "toasted cheese sammitch"

My fave is two slices of american on Beefsteak hearty rye with a couple strips of bacon (precooked) inside. :drool:

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    With all of the amazingly delicious cheeses out there, what kind of sick creep would make a grilled cheese using American slices? I hesitate to even call that "cheese".

Y'all need to get right with Scutter01's Inside-Out Grilled Cheese.

Although you make a very valid point, there is something reminiscent about crappy old Kraft singles on a grilled cheese. Tastes like the ones my mom used to make for me when I was sick as a kid. To this day I find the taste comforting. Not to say that I don't enjoy it with other cheeses of course, but when I don't feel good, I want it the way mom used to make it

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    With all of the amazingly delicious cheeses out there, what kind of sick creep would make a grilled cheese using American slices? I hesitate to even call that "cheese".

country-delight-american-pasteurized-90590.jpg

It's "cheese food"... It's what you feed your other cheeses. :)

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Grilled cheese. Good whole grain bread, sometimes home made. Real butter and some form of REAL cheese. NOT pasteurized processed cheese food. A shot of Mrs Dash on the cheese and sometimes a thick slice of a better boy tomato and some red onion. Any tomato soup or chili will accompany nicely. Even Campbell's with milk in a pinch.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana

We do the cheese on the outside of the bread and call it "cheese bread", but it's not a sandwich--just a piece of bread.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    Grilled cheese here is two slices of bread with cheese in the middle buttered on the outside and grilled in a skillet. Toasted cheese is a single slice of bread with a tomato slice covered with cheese slices buttered on the outside and grilled in a skillet.:)

We do the cheese on the outside of the bread and call it "cheese bread", but it's not a sandwich--just a piece of bread.
    :+1:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Best cheese for grilled cheese was the large blocks of government cheese.

Nowadays, it's buttered Texas toast, mozzarella, Swiss, Havarti, white cheddar, tomato, ham, and barbecue rub. Throw it in the oven until the cheese is melted. Make sure to get the awesome crunchy cheese that has browned on the pan.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Grilled cheese for me, and while I prefer my home smoked mozzarella, Havarti, or Gouda, there just is something about the cheap American cheese that mom used to use that makes me crave one every once in a while. As kids we used to put homemade raspberry or blackberry jelly on our grilled cheese, as weird as it sounds, it is actually pretty tasty.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Never heard of cheese toastie. My wife always criticizes me when I made a "grilled cheese" sandwich. I toast a couple of slices of bread in the toaster. I put a slice of Velveeta or pre-sliced American cheese in between and then put it in the microwave for a few seconds.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    "have you ever tried to pull apart a grilled cheese sandwitch?"

(I'd tell the whole joke but I dont want to get banned):laugh:

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Mmmmm, grilled cheese and bacon! Did I say bacon? Mmmmm. I like the Great Lakes Cheddar cheese from Save-A-Lot. I like the way it melts.

10489884_843731928972311_2755159308563503546_n.jpg

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    grilled cheese
    /thread

How did 8 more pages happen after this?

• Toasted cheese - Nope, you don't toast the bread in a toaster.
    • Cheese Toastie - yeah, I've heard it, probably even used the term, but then I graduated from Kindergarten.
    • Grilled cheese - This is it. You grill the sammich, preferably with good butter incast iron. Got two pans? Give 'er the squeeze!

Ever listen to the podcast The Sporkful? It used to be really good in the early days and their motto is, "It's not for foodies, it's for eaters". They would dissect a particular food item in detail. They're short episodes because they know how to edit (You hear me long podcast purveyors?!).

Here's how it all started:
    Episode 1: Grilled Cheese « The Sporkful

Hmm, it seems that old episodes are not available. Good thing _I_ have then archived. ;)

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, cast iron is the best, less chance of burning, but if you use a non stick pan, just keep the heat lower and grill it longer and the pan side bread HAS to be slathered with butter.

Top Bottom