• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Welds look a bit rough... didn't you have better training than that?

Haha, just have to bust your chops a little... Did you know for the last few groups they are brining in a certified instructor in the evenings and anybody that wants to can get certified? Pretty sweet deal if you ask me.

That is pretty cool. Also heard they were giving training on kydex and making holsters-n-such. Pretty sweet.

I have a Miller electric welder - no mig - and didn't bother to knock off the turkey crap or grind them either. I gotta get a mig...maybe after I sell my house and rebuild. Besides, pretty welds are for metros. LOL!

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    How spicy do you like stuff? :) Neon green with radioactive warnings would be my taste. :D

I like your style.
    Funny+Monkey+Hairstyles_5.jpg

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Welds look a bit rough... didn't you have better training than that?

Haha, just have to bust your chops a little... Did you know for the last few groups they are brining in a certified instructor in the evenings and anybody that wants to can get certified? Pretty sweet deal if you ask me.

I gots a few of them welding certs myself, but I didn't have to get brined to get them. :dunno:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Very nice build, looks like great work.

One thought purely FWIW:

While my experience is with building smokers, I'm wondering if you are going to have enough exhaust to keep your temps as high as you want? If your lid seals well, you may find that it isn't able to pull enough air for a full load of charcoal to stay burning really hot if the lid is closed for a significant period of time. I would think that grill could easily take 15lbs+ of lit charcoal which will pull a ton of air to stay hot. If you run into that, I would think that a taller stack and/or a more open rain guard would allow you to run it significantly hotter, of course assuming you want high temps available with the lid closed.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Very nice build, looks like great work.

One thought purely FWIW:

While my experience is with building smokers, I'm wondering if you are going to have enough exhaust to keep your temps as high as you want? If your lid seals well, you may find that it isn't able to pull enough air for a full load of charcoal to stay burning really hot if the lid is closed for a significant period of time. 15lbs of lit charcoal will pull a ton of air to stay hot. If you run into that, I would think that a taller stack and/or a more open rain guard would allow you to run it significantly hotter, of course assuming you want high temps available with the lid closed.

I think I got lucky, seems to work fine. I thought about adding a better seal joint around the lid, but it's working like it is...so I'm just going to use it. I have noticed though that when I close the draw door it takes a while to choke the temps back. So I usually put the charcoal in one end and move the meat back and forth some to adjust heat rather than waiting on the oxygen draw to slow it. Also, opening that big door on such a huge space drops surface temps pretty quick, so I only check when I need to check. During the really cold temps in January it was nice to put my hands up around the chimney and warm my hands ;)

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I think I got lucky, seems to work fine. I thought about adding a better seal joint around the lid, but it's working like it is...so I'm just going to use it. I have noticed though that when I close the draw door it takes a while to choke the temps back. So I usually put the charcoal in one end and move the meat back and forth some to adjust heat rather than waiting on the oxygen draw to slow it. Also, opening that big door on such a huge space drops surface temps pretty quick, so I only check when I need to check. During the really cold temps in January it was nice to put my hands up around the chimney and warm my hands ;)
    Excellent. Unless you are wanting precise temp control, I wouldn't mess with sealing the door. On a smoker that is critical as you want it to hold a certain temp for 12+ hours. On a grill it really doesn't make a ton of difference and can make the door open temp swings even greater.

Even on a sealed UDS, you are looking at at least 30 mins for a damper adjustment to take effect, there is just too much air inside a 55 gal drum. I'm 100percent with you just having different zones, it is one reason that having a big grill is so nice.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    That is pretty cool. Also heard they were giving training on kydex and making holsters-n-such. Pretty sweet.

I have a Miller electric welder - no mig - and didn't bother to knock off the turkey crap or grind them either. I gotta get a mig...maybe after I sell my house and rebuild. Besides, pretty welds are for metros. LOL!

Lol, I don't know if I should admit to owning a TIG welder that makes really pretty welds then... haha. You know I don't live too far away. If you ever need some pretty welds done send me a PM...

Top Bottom