• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdeshon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Out yander
    A few of us are camping sat night and sunday night down there if any INGOers are down for a hiking/Camping/Fishing tip

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    I did a little overnighter down there last week. Hiked in at hayes trail and set up camp by pattons cave.

Just a heads up, the ticks were/are out in full force.

??? Is the cave open? Or is it still posted because of the white...something bat disease.

Nice spots to "stealth camp" down there!

mdeshon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Out yander
    That is where we usually camp. Love the spot atop of patton cave, plus good fishing spot as well. I think the caves are still closed. We were going this weekend but everyone from my group decided they are girls and that it was going to be too hot.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Girls

That is where we usually camp. Love the spot atop of patton cave, plus good fishing spot as well. I think the caves are still closed. We were going this weekend but everyone from my group decided they are girls and that it was going to be too hot.

Too bad...

Next time tell your buds to go to wal-mart/walgreens/cvs and buy the el cheapo blow up pool toy/raft. Then, hike back to the Patton cave area. Get your spot picked out, do all the sweaty "heavy lifting" stuff, ie, getting the tent or hammock up, collecting an ample supply of firewood, etc.

Then, walk down to the water with your little raft and cool off. Take a bar of soap, cuz' you are civilized, right? Living large my friend!

Build the fire. Cook your mac and cheese/beenie weenies or whatever. Talk about whether or not those Indiana cougars have made it to the Deam area. :D Fire up a cigar to keep the skeeters at bay. Oh ya- check in with loved ones and then turn the damn cell phone off!

Pappy

Pappy

mdeshon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Out yander
    Too bad...

Next time tell your buds to go to wal-mart/walgreens/cvs and buy the el cheapo blow up pool toy/raft. Then, hike back to the Patton cave area. Get your spot picked out, do all the sweaty "heavy lifting" stuff, ie, getting the tent or hammock up, collecting an ample supply of firewood, etc.

Then, walk down to the water with your little raft and cool off. Take a bar of soap, cuz' you are civilized, right? Living large my friend!

Build the fire. Cook your mac and cheese/beenie weenies or whatever. Talk about whether or not those Indiana cougars have made it to the Deam area. :D Fire up a cigar to keep the skeeters at bay. Oh ya- check in with loved ones and then turn the damn cell phone off!

Pappy

Pappy

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

That perty much explains them. Im going out there next weekend to do some crappie fishing for the weekend. Screw them. :rockwoot:

redhead

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    I love that area! Just past the Robinson Cemertary is a beautiful area. Don't get stuck in the ruts though.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Easy Fun Side Trip

..Re-visited this thread...

Last summer we had 2 families on a rented pontoon from Inn of the Four Winds marina. (these are the "nicer" pontoons, not the industrial barges that the marina east of the causeway rents)

Anyway, 2 couples and 4 kids, ages 13 to 17, girls and boys, cousins actually. Me and wifey, her sister and husband, 2 of my 3 boys, and their 2 girls.

Took the boat up the lake to the bay that is just west of Patton Cave. 45 minute run in the pontoon, draggin' kids on tubes the whole way. I told my sister and law and her husband that I would "show the kids a cool cave". Sister in law rarely gets off the asphalt at the local park. :) Got a group to swim over to the shore, with tennis shoes, and we hiked up to the cave.
    Took me a second to get my bearings on which little draw to head up to get to it. My wife had not been there either.

They thought I was Jeremiah Johnson on something. "Wow, how did you know that cave was up there? That was sooo cool!" Sister in law had a tick on her thigh.... heard about that later...bro in law took care of it after a thorough search...:cool:

Very neat little side excursion. The woods were hot and humid so after an hour or so on the hill it was nice to cool off on the swim back out to boat for a cold one and some fried chicken. (FYI- we all had life/ski/rafts and stuff to keep us afloat safely)

Have fun with your kids too! No batteries needed!

Pappy

thatguy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    I've got camping stuff, but I can never seem to get any of my friends on board. I've heard a lot about the Deam Wilderness area but I don't want to go down there by myself the first time. One of these days I'll stop being a pansy.

thatguy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Let me rephrase that... She-who-must-be-obeyed doesn't want me to go out on my own the first time by me lonesome. I'm told this is how I feel.

I did quite a few solo out and backs on the AT back when I was single and lived down south. Never balked at going out solo, even to a new area. However, the wife would prefer me not go out alone to somewhere I've never been.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Tell you what. Let me know when you're going and I'll say I am too. You can then tell her you're going with someone you met on the internet who is a gun nut, but you've never actually met face to face. All by yourself will seem much better to her at that point. :D

thatguy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Sadly, she would be more ok with your suggestion... Woman and logic... pick your battles.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Hardin Ridge

Another idea- You can car camp not too far from the Deam area by camping at Hardin Ridge. If I remember correctly HR is a Federal property so don't do any open carry.

It is a lot more private than say Paynetown. Car camp at HR, drive over and park at the Fire Tower and day hike, etc. Best of both worlds!

pinhead56

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Another idea- You can car camp not too far from the Deam area by camping at Hardin Ridge. If I remember correctly HR is a Federal property so don't do any open carry.

It is a lot more private than say Paynetown. Car camp at HR, drive over and park at the Fire Tower and day hike, etc. Best of both worlds!

:yesway: on this advice. Did this myself with some kids who weren't ready for backpacking but wanted a good wilderness afternoon hike. The fire-tower was cool and it's definitely UP there above the tree-tops. Hardin Ridge is a great camp ground in it's own right

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    +1 on the fire tower. Maybe 50% higher than the one in Brown County State Park.

I have not been back to the tower in a few years. I've been told it is still open to the deck on top. I had to stop a few times on the way up on my last visit. Had my teens with me. "Hey Dad, look...it shakes when you jump up and down!"

I'm wiser as I age...I also know the structure is maintained by the lowest bidder on a government contract. :D

1donos

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Is the fire tower and trails at Hardin Ridge? If not where are they? I like to do a little day trail hiking. I usually just end up at the local state parks, would like to expand into something a little less traveled.
    I notice the trails listed at hardin are only about a mile long. Are there longer trails at the fire tower?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom