• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    I've been using my Dad's chain saw out at the farm, but I have enough need for one around my own house I probably need my own. I do cut some fair sized trees for the wood stove, but also have a fair amount of "landscape maintenance" type work.

Dad is a big time believer in spendy tools, so I'm used to an 18 inch Stihl. It works great, but I note it is about 2x the price of other brands. Are there any lesser priced brands out there that are still worth buying and will give good service?

MJ317

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Greenwood
    Chain Saws

Stihl's are great saws that are pricey. I inherited an 20" Stihl and bought a 14" ECHO light commercial for just under $200.00. I love it. large enough and light enough to handle cleaning up brush and debris on my lake property.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Get a stihl and all the safety gear required for it. Chaps, hard hat, visor, hearing protection, steel toe shoes, gloves, wedges and a serious first aid kit. Cut corners on safety and you might just end up dead.

I know two people who didn't wear chaps. One had $200,000 in medical costs other other lost both his legs below his knees

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Big fan of stihl here as well. I have an ms200t and an ms361 for saws. I have an fs130 for a trimmer and a ?600 backpack blower. I won't buy anything but stihl from now on unless they screw the pooch on quality.

You can't be a stihl dealer if you don't service them. I don't think you can go 30 miles in any direction without finding a servicing dealer. I've never had a husqvarna saw but a lot of people like them. I just cringe at the thought of going to a big box store and asking a pimple faced 16 year old for parts. Part of that stihl price tag is service.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    You can get some cheaper models of Stihl as well. They are terrific saws and a dealer network second to none. Try buying parts for a poulan that you got at wal mart.

Get a stihl and all the safety gear required for it. Chaps, hard hat, visor, hearing protection, steel toe shoes, gloves, wedges and a serious first aid kit. Cut corners on safety and you might just end up dead.

I know two people who didn't wear chaps. One had $200,000 in medical costs other other lost both his legs below his knees

Long Bow, I totally agree on the safety gear 100% but Gloves and steel toes boots are not required even by OSHA standards. I absolutely hate to wear gloves while running saws, I want to feel what is going on with it and dont want a cuff hanging on anything.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Stihl or Husky, either way is win. With chainsaws, cheap is how much you value your body parts.

A big +1 on safety gear. Even (especially, actually) if you only fire it up a few times a year for firewood, a chainsaw is nothing to be casual about. I consider it second to my guns in deadliness. Also in that, get a decent file and guide and instruction set on the proper way to maintain chains. Also, there is always the temptation to get the largest bar you can, which is a stupid way to go. Get a smaller bar so you will always have plenty of power. If you need more bar, get a bigger saw.

ETA: I own 5 saws from small to the second biggest Stihl makes, and I own a sawmill and 150 acres of trees, my strictest safety rules apply to when I am running saws, even the smallest ones.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I have a Stihl, a Ryobi, and Homelite. The homelite is a piece of crap, that will hardly do light yard work. The Ryobi is almost as dependable as the stihl, and is of very good design. It starts first pull almost always. With all that being said, if I had it to do over again, I would only own a Stihl. Yes, it's nearly twice the money, but will last you a lifetime if you take care of it.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Are there any lesser priced brands out there that are still worth buying and will give good service?

I have a Poulan Pro 20" gas chainsaw. I got a great deal on it as it was on sale at Orscheln our in Greenfield. I had just priced them at Home Depot and Tractor Supply, and Orscheln had a 20" model that was $30 or so cheaper than the 18" model that was at Tractor Supply. It also came with a carry case. I have chopped a lot of wood with it. The only problem is that it leaks the chain oil. I don't consider it that big of an issue. It is a small leak and after reading on line, any of the value line chainsaws are known for leaking. Either way, I have cut up three large Shagbark Hickory trees, as well as two other Oak trees. I haven't used it in a while, but have no reason to doubt that it won't work. Since it leaks the chainsaw oil, I only add 1/3rd to a half at a time, and check it often. When I am done, I just let it sit over my used car oil collection pan. It drips out, then into the used motor oil. I just recycle it along with the used oil.

This is good advice. Before I started using my chainsaw, I got a good pair of Kevlar chaps and they were just under $100. They are now going for around $60. There is no reason not to get a pair. They also are nice to wear if you are working a weed eater, as the flying grass hits the chaps and not your jeans, bare legs, shoes, socks, etc.. I also got the hard hat with visor and mesh screen, but I still wear safety glasses as well. Gloves and steel toe shoes are also part of the set-up. I am also thinking about getting a safety vest as well.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    sthil is the best saw on the market hands down. i have a 460 w 25 inch bar and a 200t with a 14 inch bar. my buddy has a 355 husky that i use alot when i work for him on smaller jobs. the stihl is 2x the price of the husky but it is not 2x the saw.

ive always owned all sthil. my next saw will be a husky. as i said the sthil is the better saw but not 2x the saw. my climbing saw (saw i take to the top of the tree) will always be a 200t or atleast it will be until somone comes out with a better one. its light, durable, and cuts great. imo its the best one handed saw on the market. ive had to take my 460 up with me before and it makes for a pretty miserable day

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    sthil is the best saw on the market hands down. i have a 460 w 25 inch bar and a 200t with a 14 inch bar. my buddy has a 355 husky that i use alot when i work for him on smaller jobs. the stihl is 2x the price of the husky but it is not 2x the saw.

Are you comparing the same size and engine class Stihls and Huskies? Because every time I've comparison shopped they've been within a few bucks of each other in all size classes.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Are you comparing the same size and engine class Stihls and Huskies? Because every time I've comparison shopped they've been within a few bucks of each other in all size classes.

no im not. i cant remember the exact model he has but the husky 359 has a 59cc motor is 530.
    the sthil 362 is a 59cc motor and runs a 20 inch bar for 690.

my sthil has somthing like a 72 cc motor but that comparison is apples to apples. i pulled the prices from the sthil/husky website so im sure both saws can be found cheaper

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have an older 025 stihl. At the time it was either a size up from the Farm Boss or a close equivalent.

I just used it yesterday, actually. Hasn't been started since I fogged it and put it away last year. 3 pulls and it was going well. With proper care it will be the last chainsaw I'll ever need.

Safety can't be stressed enough even though I know it has been mentioned thoroughly.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Chaps, hard hat, visor, hearing protection, steel toe shoes, gloves, wedges and a serious first aid kit. Cut corners on safety and you might just end up dead.

Yep, all this and a sledge hammer and at least a good hand saw to get your chain saw loose when you get it pinched. Good chaps just saved me a trip to the hospital a few days ago in fact. Keep in mind that stuff needs to be on to do you any good unless it's the seat of the truck you don't want going to the hospital.

To get all that stuff and THE saw you need call these guys.
    http://maps.google.com/maps/place?h...rises&hnear=Salem,+IN&cid=2906596141873793429
    http://maps.google.com/maps/place?h...rises&hnear=Salem,+IN&cid=2906596141873793429

Lots of saw brands sell all different kinds and sizes of saws. Nearly no saw company builds lots of different saws. They build one and buy the rest from other companys who make that size and type of saw and put their name on it.

Call D&D, I'd go there. Tell them what you want to do. Let them TELL YOU what saw you need to do it.

It's the place to go for purchase and repair of ANY hand held, 2 cycle, equipment or the accessories to go with it.

I been there, done that, done it again, and I'll go there next time I need it.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    A big +1 on safety gear. Even (especially, actually) if you only fire it up a few times a year for firewood, a chainsaw is nothing to be casual about. I consider it second to my guns in deadliness. Also in that, get a decent file and guide and instruction set on the proper way to maintain chains. Also, there is always the temptation to get the largest bar you can, which is a stupid way to go. Get a smaller bar so you will always have plenty of power. If you need more bar, get a bigger saw.

2nd 100%

If a guy buys one at DnD all they gotta do is ask and they'll get the file you need for the chain the sell you, get the guide and then show you how to sharpen it and why and what to look for on the teeth. Then when you come back next time if you ask they'll show you again, look at the chain and show you what you did wrong and why it's wrong and show you how to do it right.

If you don't want to know that stuff they sell extra chains too and sharpen chains.

bmwdud

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2010
    fort wayne
    Stihl. is the way to go
    have been cutting wood for my for a while for the wood stove
    have 3 junk one's hanging in the shed that are not worth fixen
    cost 2 times as much but last 3 times as long

you know that old saying you get what you pay for :oldwise:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Definitely buy a file and guide. I just use a flat guide. I tried just using a file and wasn't having any luck. I was cutting to low on the teeth. You can hand sharpen a chain faster than you can take it off and put it back on. I will throw a chain in the trash before I have it machine sharpened. I've never got one back that cut very good.

You'll also want a drag file and guide as well.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008

From my online comparisons, Stihl and Husky are very close to the same price.

Noland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    N IN
    I bought a Stihl a few years ago and it is by far the best chainsaw that I have ever owned.
    I forget the model number, but it is called the Farm Boss.

Top Bottom