• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    On to the C39V2, not knowing what a ‘good’ AK is supposed to feel or shoot like, first impressions were this is fun to shoot! So what I did was fire one mag from the MK47 and then moved to the C39V2, same in this case but the AK was shooting high. Once I realized (yes I should have known) that the sights are set to 100 meters not 50 yards, things got better. Below is the third mag, again 1 second between shots.

1239j47.jpg

So this AK is also very accurate but not as much as the MK47, but its only 50 yards. If the first set of mags need to be posted I can add them later. One thing I need to explain my methods I think. While shooting at 1 second bursts, the thought is that I should concentrate all the fire on the same location and that I should see a pattern. This worked for me and most of the time, all the 30 rounds would land inside a small soccer ball with most inside a softball. This worked as I intended and it allowed me to shoot lots of rounds in a short time. The wife was reloading the mags as I shot.
    Next I did the 50 yards standing and this is where the MK47 stood out to me, the accuracy was profoundly different. I think a lot can be said of the sights also. I much prefer the MagPul sights to the AK irons. Still I hit what I was shooting at per se.

qyd79u.jpg

Again not as good as sitting but that is to be expected from me anyway.
    Next onto the 100 yards, that is also where the MK47 was outstanding compared to the AK. There is something about the sights that I just could not get to work. I kept compensating for the drop but it never worked right…

15pq51d.jpg

It’s shooting high consistently, no doubt. I thought it was me but how can it be with the MK47 doing so well? This is a better sense of what was going on,
    9lct2g.jpg

Of course seeing it up close, I had to compensate and now it got better but look at the aim spots so to speak:

So the last batch was at 25 yards standing up, this turned out ok to me,

2vb4wv6.jpg

It was about this time that both my shoulder and the wife called it a day and we went to handguns. I need to keep her in practice.

I did have one FTF but it was the ammo, I think it was on the MK47. I should have tried it in the AK but after 2 tries, that was enough.

35bfdl4.jpg

So what are my thoughts? I love the MK47 and I also like the C39V2, I just need to learn to shoot it at 100 yards better. I thought and thought of what the reason could be and only settled on the placement of the target. At 100 yards the c39 target was placed well below the location of the MK47 target, about 2 feet lower. It cannot be the gun as it was consistently high but in a basketball size circle. That means it’s the shooter not the gun.

A good day at the range for sure. I am pretty sure it was around 800 rounds total. I use that figure as I had a total of 12-30rd, 1-40rd, 2-10rd, 2-20 round magazines. That equates to around 15 mags. 450 rounds and I (wife) reloaded almost all of them at least once expect for the 40 rounder. I know I shot more in the c39 because I was trying to get the thing sighted in. That is where I get the 450 in the AK and 350 in the MK47.
    I thoroughly enjoy both rifles but I have to admit, firing the AK is different. I would bet I could fire faster through the AK. It just seemed to flow better if that makes any sense. I do wish it was longer as I am a tall person and it seems to be a ‘small’ rifle. An extended stock would be better for me.

Standing up, the MK47 had better stability as it has a handgrip at the end that might be something I would add to a tricked out AK.

I am pleased with the ‘junk’ American made C39, and very much so. You see I got lucky and got a close up look at an I/O AK. Granted I do not know everything to look for but the C39 seemed ‘better; built. I also got to see a Yugo, but I was not sure why the fella had issues with it. I do not know if it was a misfire or a jam but he only put about 20 rounds downrange that I saw and he was having issues but I know not what they were. It was a nice looking gun as was the I/O. The stock wood on the I/O looked the best out of all three to me anyway.

Next to me was a gentlemen that was shooting and we got to talking and he was telling the Yugo guy that any American made AK parts were **** and that he had to change out many parts on his guns. So of course knowing me I had to strike up a conversation and Century came up. He said they were notorious for **** guns as he had owned some. He said his favorite was his Arsenal.

I asked him to take a 10rd magazine and shoot my C39 and tell me what he thought of the trigger. I know you guys talk about them a lot and he said that the Tapco was a decent trigger and Geisel was the best. So far, exactly what I expected. When finished, he thought the trigger in the C39 mostly resembled his one in the Arsenal. He meant that the trigger was ‘unknown’ on the break and enabled faster shooting. Since I have nothing to compare with, no worries. He liked it but overall he might have been just being nice as they are **** guns and you do not tell people they have ‘****’ guns at the range. Nice guy by the way…I really enjoyed talking with him.

Last edited:

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana

So there you have it, the promised range report and now I will follow with the wear of 400+ rounds on the gun. I also want to point out that the AK got very hot and I burnt my hand on her, lesson learned. The proper place for these should be in my old thread but alas, the complaints drove to MOD to ban me and close the thread so I will add it here and those of you who care can go back to the ‘unshot’ pictures.

I did not know an AK could have its own idiot mark

33voplj.jpg

At least you know I used my safety. Btw, that sure is not an easy thing to deal with. The AR for sure has a better setup but I think I need to make this a bit easier to engage but I will just say it is new for now.

24z8yo3.jpg

im2k95.jpg

6y2pvc.jpg

I am not sure what the red stuff here is. It is not metal so I have no clue but you can see no metal deformation on the trigger back, the thing I have seen peening on but hey it was only 400+ rounds.

24gkjuf.jpg

It sure did clean up nice with an air compressor though,

i3ci7m.jpg

On to the inside parts,

atx95i.jpg

2q1rt3m.jpg

2qk72na.jpg

f257hy.jpg

2mqvt39.jpg

5tuwau.jpg

30wpmx2.jpg

It sure is an easy gun to clean however,

bfnam0.jpg

24y4opl.jpg

ionk12.jpg

So in summation, to those reading this and are on the fence I would say this is a decent rifle to join the AK world with. If you are an AR person but want to partake of the enemy so to speak, give an AK a try, you will like it as I know I will do more. Is it a good SHTF gun? I would certainly think so as it is simple and accurate enough for what I would need it for. It is more accurate than I and that is all that matters. It is reliable and I can see why Mr. Kalashnikov is so well respected. This is a piston gun after all and I expected it to be dirtier than it was.

As for the Century C39V2, well I would give the following advice, avoid some of the cool aid you will hear about them, especially at the AK Files. Century's past is not in question, it sucked. However they have them a nice rifle that I would recommend to anyone wanting a starter gun. It functions and is quite nice in its handling but I have nothing to compare it too so maybe the AK experts know better. Maybe the Arsenal is worth the extra few hundreds of dollars.

It is always nice to keep your NATO allies employed but if I am not mistaken, Bulgaria does not pay their full bill in NATO. The Polish however pay more but they are on the border of them nasty Russians no?

Only 5 of 28 NATO countries are paying agreed-upon amount on defense - Business Insider

Cheers!

Last edited:

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    I am so glad you got out to shoot your century I have the same one and love it never a problem. But have follow both of your threads. I know I take a beating if I tell all how much I like my c39v2 it's just like if I mention that I am not a glock fan don't think I can fight everybody at once. Thank you for your details. But will keep a look out for century reply.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I am so glad you got out to shoot your century I have the same one and love it never a problem. But have follow both of your threads. I know I take a beating if I tell all how much I like my c39v2 it's just like if I mention that I am not a glock fan don't think I can fight everybody at once. Thank you for your details. But will keep a look out for century reply.

I am waiting one week, then I will reply back to 'her', then if nothing I will directly mail the VP.

When you say both threads...do you mean here (INGO) only?

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    I also read the ak files which you were put in time out. Lol. Both of these threads were worth reading and the reply were priceless I guess we all get closed minded about what we make

dye

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    NE Indiana
    the bolt being held open after the last rd is a function of the mag, not the gun. The Croatian steel mags have a follower that takes care of that.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    the bolt being held open after the last rd is a function of the mag, not the gun. The Croatian steel mags have a follower that takes care of that.

Same with the Yugo mags. But I've never seen the point of a BHO mag in an AK, because the action slams shut as soon as you remove it.

Granted I've always taken them out, but the best BHO function for an AK that I've seen were on the factory Saiga's.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I also read the ak files which you were put in time out. Lol. Both of these threads were worth reading and the reply were priceless I guess we all get closed minded about what we make

Yeah it was something for sure. That is what I like about INGO, not as many snobs. I guess I am passionate about things too but I do not hammer new guys. The funny part is I did it expecting the reaction. I was there reading for days and I saw it and decided to fight back a bit.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I've had a Century WASR10 for over ten years, and even though people look down their noses at, it has always performed flawlessly.

The red stuff in your gun, is probably primer sealing lacquer, that shatters when the primer is struck.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    OK an update and I will not post the whole thing but I do have some news. Century Arms customer service sucks donkey balls. I have around 750 rounds down her and I love it. I put a primary arms red dot on her and I just can not believe it, my eyes are to crappy for this but it is what it is, 20 rounds from a bench..

2yln5ft.jpg

I know many will laugh at that but for me it is as good as my AR if not better.

Also if you want to follow the journey the newest link after I was banned is here:

Century Arms C39V2, CMMG-MK47, Range Report and updates…. - The AK Files Forums

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    Wow the ak files are a bunch of elitist. I say what makes you happy is what it's all about. But it is entertaining to read the ak files maybe not for you but there response were nasty sorry had to laugh not at you but at them. I do hope you enjoy you century as much as I have been enjoying mine. Oh yeah nice shooting

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    No worries, what is funny is they say I admit I am trolling and by the definition it is similar but it is not all trolling. My goal was to expose them for what they are,. gun snobs. My PMs there are about as funny, most agree with me but don't want the pack attacking them too. They got had and are too blinded by their arrogance to even see it.... Mission Accomplished.

Other than that, the Riley Defense rifle I will continue to review here but for the most part the Files is done. I do not need an elitist board. Some here where telling me not to buy the rifle but they were NEVER pricks about it.

Thanks for the shooting comments, I hope I can get better. Getting new glasses soon also :)

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I still have yet to get glasses, but I have updated my Riley Post. As for the C39, the son loved it. He however liked the Mutant the best as he is an AR guy. He asked me why I have not added any sites to the Mutant, and of course I told him I am too intrigued with how accurate it is with just the flip sites.

No issues with either the C39 or the Riley, ran like champs.

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    Glad to see you are keeping up your thread. My century is just a great rifle I do enjoy it. So the mutant is running like a champ? It is amazing some guns just don't need glass on them I have a pcc that I have just steel sights my other ones have red dots. I just don't get that lol thanks for the update

Top Bottom