• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ben Nelson

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Corner of Walk & Dont Walk
    I use a Dun Hume 715 IWB for my M&P9. The M&P9 is not a difficuly gun to CCW short of a tank top and beach wear. I also have used the same Don Hume products for a SIG 220, and Glock 27. I am in the process of getting one for my M&P9c.

That's a name I haven't heard before . . . I'll investigate the Don Hume product line.

Nice avatar; Your 625? I have a SW 13-3 K-frame.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    OP, FWIW, approximately 80% of INGO survey respondents carry primarily on the strong side hip either IWB or OWB.

There are good reasons for this, so that's where I'd suggest you start.

The next most popular method of primary carry is pocket carry (10%), but the M&P9 is a bit large for that.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Who CCs a SW M&P 9mm?

I'm looking to CC an M&P 9, but am undecided on how to carry. IWB? Shoulder rig under a shirt? I'm a typical middle-age guy with 25 extra pounds around the middle (5'11", 240 lb).

Your input is appreciated!

I often CC my M&P 5" Pro. I am looking at getting a 9c though.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    That's a name I haven't heard before . . . I'll investigate the Don Hume product line.

Nice avatar; Your 625? I have a SW 13-3 K-frame.

Thanks! the Avaitar is a different 625, mine is a pre lock 5". Don Hume is a really nice holster for the price. I had a Galco that was good as well. The Kramer, Galco and Del Fatti are all very high quality but they are priced for that quality. Any of them I would recommend but I have used the Don Hume 715 exclusivly for a couple different sidearms for the last 6 or so years. Like any holster though I would recommend replacing it when needed. Holsters wear out much quicker than the firearms will.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    OP, FWIW, approximately 80% of INGO survey respondents carry primarily on the strong side hip either IWB or OWB.

Strong side hip will be your best option. Good holster and good belt and you will be good to go. My Brother In Law is planning to carry a full size M&P. He was worried about the size of the gun until we compared it to my Glock 23. Not much difference in size between the two. I would have no problem with carrying and concealing an M&P.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I have big hands, and while the full size grip is more comfortable, the shorter grip really doesn't affect accuracy, nor does the shorter barrel. At short distances (~15y) I can shoot both equally well. The pinky is not necessary on the grip to maintain control, you just have to get over the mental urge to feel it on the grip. Hickock45 recommends sticking the pinky out even.

The shorter sight radius on my 9C makes it quicker for me to line up the sights. A capacity of 12+1 is more than most compacts, certainly more than "mouse" guns, which hold about as many rounds as a revolver. Having 12 rounds is very reassuring to me! Plus, I can use 17 round mags, that I can keep in my pocket or on my belt as backup. I most often just use full size mags just for target practice though.

My 9C has a safety, which I sanded down for IWB. It is quite comfortable even with the safety, and easy to conceal. The 9C has only slightly more recoil, and since M&P's have such low recoil inherently, it is still probably average (as opposed to the XD9C, which has notable muzzle flip).

You wouldn't have had to sand down the safety, if you had bought the model without the safety... Just sayin.. :cool:

Ben Nelson

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Corner of Walk & Dont Walk
    . . .

The shorter sight radius on my 9C makes it quicker for me to line up the sights. A capacity of 12+1 is more than most compacts, certainly more than "mouse" guns, which hold about as many rounds as a revolver. Having 12 rounds is very reassuring to me! Plus, I can use 17 round mags, that I can keep in my pocket or on my belt as backup. I most often just use full size mags just for target practice though . . .

I just saw such a configuration. It has me rethinking what I want to carry.

Thanks for the input everybody.

BaseDeltaZero

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    South Bend
    I carry a 40c IWB using a Galco summertime with a Galco belt. The belt made a huge difference. I would like to try a Shield though. If I was going to pocket carry, I would use a 380 like a Bodyguard.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Who CCs a SW M&P 9mm?

I'm looking to CC an M&P 9, but am undecided on how to carry. IWB? Shoulder rig under a shirt? I'm a typical middle-age guy with 25 extra pounds around the middle (5'11", 240 lb).

Your input is appreciated!

5'11 at 240 lbs a good bit over 25lbs extra. Most BMI charts will register that as obese and not typical.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    ..and exactly what does that have to do with holsters? :dunno:

The OP gave it as reference to his body type expressing typical, it is not typical based on average BMI. I am the same height but not the same weight and fall under the average BMI for that height. The suggested holsters may or may not work well for me.

It was not intended as a negative remark.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Well, I just got back from the LGS . . . And now I'm thinking the 9c too. One option on the 9c is the X-grip, an full-size grip with a 17-round mag on the compact frame.

Dear Santa . . . .

Tip:
    The X grip isn't necessary. I have two and i don't ever use them. Why? Well first, mine needed cut down to even allow the magazine to lock in the gun. Second, they slide around on the mag when it is not in the gun, so imagine them on upside down mags in a mag holder (its a no go). Third, I don't need them to shoot a full size mag, I just stick my pinky out, same as with 12 round mags. The only thing these are good for is making your gun look perty with a full size mag in it IMO, since even with large hands I don't need more real estate on my grip. In this case grip girth is more important than length :).

S&W will also send you a second free pinky extension if you call and request it, but again, that pinky is unnecessary for accurate shooting. I opt to make mine as low profile as possible, and have been very successful with concealing it IWB having nothing but a T shirt covering it. I am tall and thin too.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    :rolleyes:

^This. OP is looking for carry advice, not a health assessment. :dunno:

Please see my above post, I was not assessing his health nor did I make comment on it. I was attempting to express that his height and weight was not a good single measure for a well fitting holster. BMI plays a factor in my brief experience.

Please stop jumping to conclusions.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Please see my above post, I was not assessing his health nor did I make comment on it. I was attempting to express that his height and weight was not a good single measure for a well fitting holster. BMI plays a factor in my brief experience.

Please stop jumping to conclusions.

Top 10 Reasons Why The BMI Is Bogus : NPR
    3. It is physiologically wrong.

It makes no allowance for the relative proportions of bone, muscle and fat in the body. But bone is denser than muscle and twice as dense as fat, so a person with strong bones, good muscle tone and low fat will have a high BMI. Thus, athletes and fit, health-conscious movie stars who work out a lot tend to find themselves classified as overweight or even obese.

Which also applies to your assertion that BMI has anything to do with holster comfort..

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Top 10 Reasons Why The BMI Is Bogus : NPR

Which also applies to your assertion that BMI has anything to do with holster comfort..

So if I were a larger man (no pun intended...ok maybe it was), if I was a little lumpy around the edges in fat or muscle, would it not help conceal the outline of a grip in a holster that was not tight against my side? Would not that extra protrusion break up the outline of a hard angled gun?

That same holster at the same height and "typical" weight may not work so well for me. He made no mention of bone mass or muscle. I really don't care about the OP's health, but we are talking about almost 90lbs weight difference. It has nothing to do with his health and much more so the effectiveness of holsters in CC in body type of the same height.

It's not a valid yard stick on it's own.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom