• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • newgunguy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    delaware county
    so shooting my wife's walther p22 and a friends m&p 22 yesterday, had problems with rounds chambering, was using cci "quiet 22", 40 grain. switched to remington golden bullets no problems in either gun. we had used federal in the walther before no problems. before purchasing the walther research leaned toward it liking the cci more than others. any thoughts from anyone? I have 600 rnds of cci, 36 grain mini-mags that I am leary of opening up and using now. thanks for any help

Chris

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    That is typical I'd say. "Quiet" or subsonic rounds usually have less powder/pressure, and don't feed as reliably. On the other hand, CCI has a reputation for making the most reliable 22lr ammo.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    My sister has shot lots of CCi through her Walther with no problems. That being said, I don't know if they were "quiet" or not. Maybe try regular CCI next time?

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Like I said, Quiet ammo is made for bolt action rifles, not automatics. It doesn't have enough pressure to reliably cycle the slide/bolt. This is expected behavior.

GMack_1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2009
    Montgomery Co.
    I don't think "CCI Quiet 22's" are really for semi-auto's. They work great in bolt-action, though. Especially if you squirrel hunt or just plink around. The Quiets just don't have enough powder to operate auto's.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    They're going 710fps, your expecations shouldn't have been high.

I've put 30 or 40 through my Buckmark, I've only had 2 rounds completely cycle and load the next round. I knew they wouldn't work but was curious what they sounded like through a handgun with a can on it

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    That is typical I'd say. "Quiet" or subsonic rounds usually have less powder/pressure, and don't feed as reliably. On the other hand, CCI has a reputation for making the most reliable 22lr ammo.

Like I said, Quiet ammo is made for bolt action rifles, not automatics. It doesn't have enough pressure to reliably cycle the slide/bolt. This is expected behavior.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    THIS...

:thumbsup:

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

I don't think "CCI Quiet 22's" are really for semi-auto's. They work great in bolt-action, though. Especially if you squirrel hunt or just plink around. The Quiets just don't have enough powder to operate auto's.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ T H E S E ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sub-sonic will run some semi-auto's but not all of them. The "quite" rounds we run will operate all of the semi's just not 100% of the time and they are not supposed to. I do not plink with the sub rounds.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Many boxes of CCI Mini-Mags have gone through my semi-auto .22LR. They have been a favorite for a long time. Shoot with confidence.

I think others have covered the issue with sub-sonic rounds in semi-autos.

newgunguy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    delaware county
    thanks to everyone for your insight, after shooting the remington thru both guns I was pretty sure what the problem was just wanted to get some expert advice from you all. thats the great thing about this sight. thanks again

Purdue Plinker

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 7, 2013
    Indy
    Yeah it is the product not the brand.

Try out a box of 50 for different options and see what work. Then stick to what does. Mini-Mags have been great for me. Some standard velocities work well, some not so much. My SR22 warned about subsonics not cycling right. Most people stick to high velocity for semi-auto handguns.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    it seems the cci quiet have been the most plentiful 22 bullet lately,(at least at the shop i work at) that said, i ALWAYS tell people that the quiet might not cycle the bolt in a semi auto.

i would hope all gun shop employees tell people that. just so you know that its not a gun or ammo problem, just the type of ammo it is(a low velocity, quiet round, that would be great for revolvers, bolt actions, or single shot firearms)

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    You may want to try CCI standard velocity rounds. At 1070 fps, they're just under the speed of sound...occasionally one will crack but quieter than mini-mags.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County

This. It's simply because the quiet round is low pressure and doesn't like to cycle the slide causing failure to feeds. But out of my p22 the high FPS CCI rounds worked better than any other .22 rounds.

meegz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2013
    Delaware County
    There are some semiautos that will cycle the standard velocity stuff from most manufacturers, but the stuff you were shooting is just too weak. Standard velocity is the slowest you want to go on semi autos, but that quiet stuff is (usually) great for squirrel hunting.

Top Bottom