• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I've seen reference to CCI "CB Longs" and subsonic .22 LR on this forum, but this is the first time that I've seen:
    CCI® Quiet-22™ .22 Long Rifle

It's a 40 grain load reportly exiting a rifle at 710fps

Maybe it's just marketing, but the "Quiet" got me so I picked up a box at Wal-Mart today. I typically use the CB shorts in my Ruger Single Six when I shoot in the back yard in my neighborhood (for various reasons, typically for varmints or otherwise putting down small critters). The CB shorts to me sound like a screen door slamming or a very small firework (very small).
    This evening I put in 4 CBs and 1 Quiet-22 in my revolver. No hearing protection (honestly, none needed). No problems. I actually couldn't tell the difference between the CBs and the "Quiet's).
    I still like my CBs cause there's no way I'll accidently try to use them in a semi-auto.

If you're needing a quiet load in maybe a bolt action .22 these might be something you'd want on hand.

aka-kesler

Plinker
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    Sounds like just a different name on the same concept.. Thanks for the info!!! Great to have the knowledge for future reference!!!

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I tried the Quiet22s in a suppressed rifle. They didn't sound much different than the CCI Subsonic rounds. However, I noticed that the Quiet22s dropped considerably more than the Subsonic rounds.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I like that they came out with them. It's simply .22LR rounds loaded to the same velocity as a CB short (nominal 710 fps), but with a 40 gr. instead of a 29 gr. bullet...for situations where the extra 30% of energy from the bullet weight doesn't present a problem of over-penetration where you're shooting, and/or you need the LR length shell for repeater-feeding through the firearm's action (eg. non-tubular magazine).

So if you're shooting a bolt gun and want a bit more oomph without more noise, it's just the ticket.

I don't see these as having much application for suppressed guns - that's what subsonics are for - but for people who don't have a tax stamp, they will be great I think.

As an aside, they're fun to shoot with a scope, too. If you adjust your scope laterally off to the side a few inches, and shoot at 25~50 yards on a white target, you can see the bullet emerging from behind your crosshairs and moving out to the side, landing like an insect on your target and turning into a little dark hole in the paper upon impact. Fun for the easily amused.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Have you tried the Aguila Colibris? I've not tried shooting them at any distance, but they are so unbelievably quiet that it's shocking.

doublebarrel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 26, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Have you tried the Aguila Colibris? I've not tried shooting them at any distance, but they are so unbelievably quiet that it's shocking.

I've shot the Colibri in my living room using a revolver (they can feed manually in my Walther P22, but not in 10/22), at a phone book. They stink pretty bad, so I have to run my air purifier at highest speed so I can keep breathing...

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    I've shot the Colibri in my living room using a revolver (they can feed manually in my Walther P22, but not in 10/22), at a phone book. They stink pretty bad, so I have to run my air purifier at highest speed so I can keep breathing...

Yeah, not to bust your chops, but that is not exactly safe. I wouldnt reccomend anyone discharging any firearm in their living room. Not safe at all.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    Elkhart, IN
    Yeah, not to bust your chops, but that is not exactly safe. I wouldnt reccomend anyone discharging any firearm in their living room. Not safe at all.

+1

With all due respect. Why would anyone even want to discharge a firearm in their home if it wasn't for personal protection, or on a home made range? The list of possible accidental mishaps is endless. There is a reason that all those firearm manufacturer booklets say do not discharge a firearm inside.

BeauBailey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Double barrel. I understand your urge to shoot while sitting on the comfort of your couch. That is the reason I acquired a sweet pair of 6 shooters that are perfectly safe for this very reason. Nerf sells them for about 10 bucks each and with some extra darts and window crayons I can sit and shoot the picture window, at the nice bullseye I draw, several times before I have to get up and gather the darts. Plus you don't have to keep buying ammo. And the big bonus is when the girlfriend and kids get mouthy a dart to the forehead usually shuts them up. Happy shooting.

doublebarrel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 26, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Double barrel. I understand your urge to shoot while sitting on the comfort of your couch. That is the reason I acquired a sweet pair of 6 shooters that are perfectly safe for this very reason. Nerf sells them for about 10 bucks each and with some extra darts and window crayons I can sit and shoot the picture window, at the nice bullseye I draw, several times before I have to get up and gather the darts. Plus you don't have to keep buying ammo. And the big bonus is when the girlfriend and kids get mouthy a dart to the forehead usually shuts them up. Happy shooting.

I understands everyone's concern. From what I can see, shooting the Colibri is just like shooting an air gun. The velocity, energy, muzzle blast, etc., all air gun alike. They even have a warning for not shooting this in a rifle, as the bullet may not have enough energy to leave the muzzle. So that was my point: practice by shooting something like an air rifle, but using your own gun, at home on a rainy day, with eyes but no ears. A phone book will stop the bullet perfectly, plus I have a large wood board behind it to protect the wall in case I miss. This is the same reason and purpose as shooting the Speer Plastic Training bullets loaded in an empty brass, using just the primer, at home, so you can practice with your actual firearm(s) for proficiency...

Top Bottom