• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BJMANIS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Muncie
    I have to go to the Social Security Office today. I have been through most of the posts of where you can not legally carry in Indiana, but have not found anything specific, except the courts and detention areas. SSA, Carry or not to carry??

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Social Security Offices are FEDERAL BUILDINGS and as such DO NOT follow state laws (ie. Indiana in your case) but FEDERAL laws. Title 18 United States Code, Section 930 PROHIBITES firearms and weapons in all federal buildings by non-authorized people (ie. not federal law enforcement personnel).

The text of the law can be found here:
    United States Code: Title 18,930. Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities | LII / Legal Information Institute

SO DO NOT TAKE YOUR FIREARM & DO NOT EVEN LEAVE YOUR FIREARM IN YOUR CAR IF YOU PARK THE CAR ON FEDERAL PROPERTY AS IT IS A FEDERAL OFFENSE.

-Jedi

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Just try getting past the metal detectors and the armed security (Capitol Police? Federal Marshals? )

-J-

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    In most stand alone social security offices there is NO metal detectors and the security guard is a contractor (ie. NOT a federal employee).

-Jedi

You know, you're quite right. I had a bout of "geocentricity" and, wrongly, presumed that he was going to the SSA in downtown Indy...which is in a Federal building... Which has metal detectors and armed folks staffing it.

-J-

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I assume that goes for the post office too? Wow.

Yes when we are talking about the "stand alone" post offices. There are some current cases in court in which the case is being made that the parking lot is not federal property but as of right now the parking lot, the bldg, the grass next to the sidewalk is all federal property so no firearms/weapons.

Where is gets tricky is when you have a post office in a strip mall. Is the parking lot off limits then? The consens is NO the parking lot is owned by the strip mall owner as such it's NOT federal property. Only the actual "store USPS" would then be off limits.

IANAL and TINLA & I don't sleep at the holiday in BTW.

You know, you're quite right. I had a bout of "geocentricity" and, wrongly, presumed that he was going to the SSA in downtown Indy...which is in a Federal building... Which has metal detectors and armed folks staffing it.

-J-

The ones close to me are all stand alone buildings. But yes in your case as well as most major cities the SSA offices would be in fed. bldgs.

-Jedi

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    metal detectors...funny story here, i took my dad to pay taxes a few years back,he had a metal cane,walked thru,set off detecor,about 6-8 people came running out of different parts of building,other people behind him hit the floor scared,dad just acted as nothing was going on,that was funny seeing people scatter...i miss my dad

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    metal detectors...funny story here, i took my dad to pay taxes a few years back,he had a metal cane,walked thru,set off detecor,about 6-8 people came running out of different parts of building,other people behind him hit the floor scared,dad just acted as nothing was going on,that was funny seeing people scatter...i miss my dad

Come don't edit the story. Tell us how TSA came out and JB Thugged him to the floor, striped searched him and violated all his rights. :laugh:

Sorry for the passing of your dad. That is a good memory you have of him. :+1: for sharing.

BJMANIS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Muncie
    This SSA building is also the welfare building and it shares a lot with a bakery.

I left my CC locked in the car.

Thanks for all the input.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Social Security Offices are FEDERAL BUILDINGS and as such DO NOT follow state laws (ie. Indiana in your case) but FEDERAL laws. Title 18 United States Code, Section 930 PROHIBITES firearms and weapons in all federal buildings by non-authorized people (ie. not federal law enforcement personnel).

The text of the law can be found here:
    United States Code: Title 18,930. Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities | LII / Legal Information Institute

SO DO NOT TAKE YOUR FIREARM & DO NOT EVEN LEAVE YOUR FIREARM IN YOUR CAR IF YOU PARK THE CAR ON FEDERAL PROPERTY AS IT IS A FEDERAL OFFENSE.

-Jedi
    So...what are you to do with your gun?

Top Bottom