• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    An officer should not enforce any law that runs contrary to his own conscience. If I were a cop, I would "see no evil" when it comes to laws like this. There's no way I'm going to accost someone for talking on a phone. This is supposed to be the Land of the Free. Officer discretion is a check and balance in the system. Congress can't terrorize the public if good cops refuse to follow through.

Cops only have discretion on most misdemeanor crimes here in Indiana which is the way it should be in my opinion. I don't think it would be a good idea to allow the police to decide which laws they want to enforce across the board as people's beliefs differ widely. The police don't have the authority to decide what it against the law, nor should they. They don't have the education to do so and aren't elected into their positions so the public has no direct control over who gets those jobs.

I don't think we're in disagreement, just wanted to expand on it a little bit.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    We don't have a justice system. We have a legal system. There is a difference.

Was the name changed to Department of Legal?

110921_doj_sign_ap_328.jpg

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    Just went back and watched the video again. I do want to see the missing minute forty seconds leading up to the second face plant. However, she was stopped for a INFRACTION. My personal belief is that the "training" officer made sure he taught the rookie what you do to people who don't show them the respect they deem appropriate. 22 years on the force...why should he have to take that crap from some loudmouth broad!

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Just went back and watched the video again. I do want to see the missing minute forty seconds leading up to the second face plant. However, she was stopped for a INFRACTION. My personal belief is that the "training" officer made sure he taught the rookie what you do to people who don't show them the respect they deem appropriate. 22 years on the force...why should he have to take that crap from some loudmouth broad!
    There are A LOT of major felons arrested and major felonies committed because of an infraction stop. Remember Fox that was shot a few weeks ago? Wasn't that for a busted tail light? Obviously she wasn't shooting at them in that 1:40, but there are a lot of things she could have done.

762Mike

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    An officer should not enforce any law that runs contrary to his own conscience. If I were a cop, I would "see no evil" when it comes to laws like this. There's no way I'm going to accost someone for talking on a phone. This is supposed to be the Land of the Free. Officer discretion is a check and balance in the system. Congress can't terrorize the public if good cops refuse to follow through.

There aren't enough good ones for that to work.

...so it does not work that way (as I assume you've learned). LE/fam/associates are above the laws specifically intented to generate revenue. SO.... when they see you breaking the revenue generator law that they break every day, you're going to get robbed, someone has to pay. Then after your pocket book is thinned out, they carry on breaking the same laws and more. Sometimes right infront of you like a Ha-Ha from the Simpsons character Nelson.

In this case, it is a step forward that some corrective action was taken. I would have guessed that the internal investigation would reveal that the officers acted properly for the situation, maybe got a little paid leave, and the woman would likely be facing numerous felony charges.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    There aren't enough good ones for that to work.

...so it does not work that way (as I assume you've learned). LE/fam/associates are above the laws specifically intented to generate revenue. SO.... when they see you breaking the revenue generator law that they break every day, you're going to get robbed, someone has to pay. Then after your pocket book is thinned out, they carry on breaking the same laws and more. Sometimes right infront of you like a Ha-Ha from the Simpsons character Nelson.

In this case, it is a step forward that some corrective action was taken. I would have guessed that the internal investigation would reveal that the officers acted properly for the situation, maybe got a little paid leave, and the woman would likely be facing numerous felony charges.

Geez, where do you guys come from?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    hey Denny, when was the last time you were on a run and considered what kind of revenue you could generate?

You have run straight into the reason I qualify my general statements as carefully as I can manage. YOU don't do that, and perhaps your department doesn't operate that way. Having been issued a rather expensive ticket for a procedural violation (in another state) by an officer who admitted that he didn't see any actual problem, just the paperwork flaw, and then owned up that the state had spent money on overtime and expected a return on it tends to reinforce the idea. Another favorite memory was encountering an Indiana State Trooper at breakfast. He was one who was issued a Camaro (yes, this has been a while) and assuming he was telling me the truth, I estimated that he generated $1.2Million per year in revenue*. Not bad for annual expenses under $100K. Needless to say, it is a foregone conclusion that anything he did to prevent crime according to the common law definition was purely incidental to revenue collection.

* I arrived at this by taking his 60 tickets per shift, multiplying by 4 days a week, 50 weeks per year at $100 per ticket.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    You have run straight into the reason I qualify my general statements as carefully as I can manage. YOU don't do that, and perhaps your department doesn't operate that way. Having been issued a rather expensive ticket for a procedural violation (in another state) by an officer who admitted that he didn't see any actual problem, just the paperwork flaw, and then owned up that the state had spent money on overtime and expected a return on it tends to reinforce the idea. Another favorite memory was encountering an Indiana State Trooper at breakfast. He was one who was issued a Camaro (yes, this has been a while) and assuming he was telling me the truth, I estimated that he generated $1.2Million per year in revenue*. Not bad for annual expenses under $100K. Needless to say, it is a foregone conclusion that anything he did to prevent crime according to the common law definition was purely incidental to revenue collection.

* I arrived at this by taking his 60 tickets per shift, multiplying by 4 days a week, 50 weeks per year at $100 per ticket.

C'mon now, doesnt that seem a bit out there? 60 tickets per shift. That's herculean.

sgtonory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Carmel
    Where do they get said "power'? From a badge? We should treat all people the same if they are wearing a badge or a black dress. If they assault someone they should be treated the same as you and me. **** the police

Last edited by a moderator:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Where do they get said "power'? From a badge? We should treat all people the same if they are wearing a badge or a black dress. If they assault someone they should be treated the same as you and me. Make love to the police

Brilliant

Last edited by a moderator:
    Top Bottom