• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Looks like the land behind us sold. Part of that parcel crosses over the creek that also runs through our property. Its decent size creek that flows year round and is on average 25 yards wide and 3 or 4 feet deep. They have cleared some space out and it looks like they are going to put a fence that crosses the creek so they can put cattle on it. I think the parcel is around 64 acres so they will probably have a large number of cattle. Is there anything I can do if the cattle start making a nasty mess of the creek after it leaves their property and comes into mine via the creek? We like to play and swim in the creek and swimming in a bunch of cattle crap doesn't sound like much fun. right now the creek is clear all the way to the bottom and a search of google earth doesn't show any other places where livestock are allowed in it.

Secondly, this creek floods pretty good a few times a year which will take its toll on the fence.... I KNOW at some point the cattle are going to end up getting loose, so lets talk about what to do when that happens as well.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    One of the slicker cattle fences across water I have seen was , a pipe with maybe a 2" dia over the water with tires hanging from cables off the pipe.
    Tires hung just above the normal flow of water and would swing out of the way when swifter water arose. Above the pipe was normal barbed wire.
    Looked like it worked and not a lot of cash.

I would say, wether you live in the city or rural, pee and poo still run downstream or downhill. It's just part of the rural life.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    One of the slicker cattle fences across water I have seen was , a pipe with maybe a 2" dia over the water with tires hanging from cables off the pipe.
    Tires hung just above the normal flow of water and would swing out of the way when swifter water arose. Above the pipe was normal barbed wire.
    Looked like it worked and not a lot of cash.

I would say, wether you live in the city or rural, pee and poo still run downstream or downhill. It's just part of the rural life.
    I know this may sound crazy but you might think about talking to the new landowners and voicing your concerns. They may (or together you may) come up with a preventative action. Or you could just wait and sic the EPA on them. Oh wait, they're a little busy now.

devious169

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Earth and you?
    It's good to be neighborly n all, but ya start messing with the kids swimming hole that's a ****ty thing to do. Obviously the don't give two ****s about you and yours so screw em. Embace your inner " uncle Ted " they get on your property KILL EM AND GRILL EM'. Hell I'd invite em over!

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    IndyGunworks;6019507 I think the parcel is around 64 acres so they will probably have a large number of cattle. [/QUOTE said:
    buying it is the only way to stop them....or get zoning changed.......they will have to pay to fix your property if they get out....

Last edited:

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    IDEM and EPA? For cattle on a pasture... Really? Wow, are we that far disconnected from where our food comes from that people think this is wrong???
    Ok, what is the zoning? If it's AG your pretty much SOL in fact you are responsible for 1/2 of the property line fence, when you look at the property line the right half is your resposability. If his livestock gets out he would be liable for the damages. I would NOT kill his livestock on your property or not I'm sure if you make steaks out of it you will pay for them.
    Some peoples creek or swimming hole is other people's drainage ditch. We have always had cattle on pasture with a creek (it is a real creek) running through it. My whole family have played in it, I have zero concerns from cattle poo, much worse things could be in there than that.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Once the cattle figure out that your lawn and vegetable garden taste better than the pasture, cattle dung in the water will be the least of your issues.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    IDEM and EPA? For cattle on a pasture... Really? Wow, are we that far disconnected from where our food comes from that people think this is wrong???
    Ok, what is the zoning? If it's AG your pretty much SOL in fact you are responsible for 1/2 of the property line fence, when you look at the property line the right half is your resposability. If his livestock gets out he would be liable for the damages. I would NOT kill his livestock on your property or not I'm sure if you make steaks out of it you will pay for them.
    Some peoples creek or swimming hole is other people's drainage ditch. We have always had cattle on pasture with a creek (it is a real creek) running through it. My whole family have played in it, I have zero concerns from cattle poo, much worse things could be in there than that.

Just because you farm you are given a free pass to pollute the creek? Im not saying they cant have cattle, just that the OP may need to make sure they are responsible with runoff, etc. and are being a good, responsible neighbor.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I'm with the guys saying the cows won't really cause any harm to the creek. It makes for a good water source but they won't just be wading out in it or flushing their waste down stream I wouldn't think.

However, I could see how you would feel weird about swimming in it with that so close up stream, you may just have to wait and see...

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Generally the problem with livestock and streams / small rivers is that they tend to do alot damage to the sides,banks of the water and with that erosion problems start.

climber409

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Franklin
    Don't get worked up until there is a problem. Introduce yourself first and see where things go because you may have great neighbor and no problems.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Just because you farm you are given a free pass to pollute the creek? Im not saying they cant have cattle, just that the OP may need to make sure they are responsible with runoff, etc. and are being a good, responsible neighbor.

So calling IDEM and/or EPA before there is a problem is being a good neighbor? Humm... Hate to see what you think a bad neighbor is. Here's a thought, if you don't like what you neighbor is legally doing on his property buy it or move. Turning him in to IDEM or the EPA and invting them to do water quality test on your property is not good advice. You might be suprised at what they find.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Just because you farm you are given a free pass to pollute the creek?

hehehe...yeah, to great extent this is true, whether it appeals to you or not. In a part of the country whose prosperity is predominantly determined by agricultural producers, you're going to have a very hard time getting any Senator to risk their career fighting the Ag lobby for tougher ENV restrictions when the economy is in relative shambles as it is.

It has been tried, and I am not saying the EPA may not eventually get an ENFORCEABLE rule passed that will then BE enforced, but it hasn't pulled out of it's stall yet.

Don't get worked up until there is a problem. Introduce yourself first and see where things go because you may have great neighbor and no problems.

I CANNOT emphasize how much I agree with the above statement. Do not be that guy that immediately starts flingin' the proverbial crap from his emotions before he knows what's going on.

They may have herefords, they may have peacocks, or they may have pygmy lemmings for all you know...make an effort to be civil--or better yet, NICE--and introduce yourself and your concerns/interest in their project before you start making assumptions that the creek is lost for good. I understand what you're feeling, but frankly I don't think you've got a full set of data to work from yet.

Have you considered the opportunities that having a stockman as a neighbor might present to you and your kids?

-Nate

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    the guy who bought the land is a millionare from what I here.... he is the one who owns "the mug" restaurant in greenfield....

Believe nothing of what you hear that didn't come straight from the new owner, and believe only half of that until you observe his actions.

-Nate

Top Bottom