• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    If you're really concerned about the bacterial contamination, you can get the water tested at the lab at the Hancock Regional Hospital. Costs about $35.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    its going to test positive for coliform no matter what... fish have to go somewhere.

You'd be very hard pressed to find a stream anywhere that doesn't have some E. coli. The federal standard for "whole body contact" is, I think, 235 cfu (colony forming units).

I've read that the main sources are septic systems and livestock. I'd also bet that, if you've been in the creek very much at all, you've probably been in it when the numbers were higher than the standard a time or two.

bartonmd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Mooresville/Camby
    My wife works for IDEM, and used to work in private sector, doing stream/wetland restoration work. She said she could ask a couple people if you want, but she's pretty sure you're screwed, unless they're doing something REALLY out of bounds. Apparently, that's precisely WHY (sometimes) the state or (mostly) other companies pay companies like the one she used to work for to buy land directly around streams/wetlands, fence live stock out, and restore them. (other companies buy stuff like that, for "credits" of restoring a stream/wetland somewhere else, so they can build a mall or whatever and take out or re-route a stream/wetland that used to be where the mall is)

However, have they actually SAID cattle? Millionaire buying some land and fencing it off sounds more like horses, to me. Stranger things have happened, but people with money sometimes hobby-farm, but aside from having maybe 10 head of cattle, or a few sheep or something, they don't typically just start whole cattle operations, especially on ~60 acres.

Mike

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Bunch of yuppie city folk here I see...

People need to mind their own business, until cattle come on your property and the water is contaminated I would mind your own business.

I would take cattle poo over fertilizer and pesticide runoff in the water like 99% of Indiana has to deal with.

Cattle poo is not a problem in a water way, it is not as if we are talking a 500 head dairy operation that has a water way running through it, that would be a problem.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Bunch of yuppie city folk here I see...

People need to mind their own business, until cattle come on your property and the water is contaminated I would mind your own business.

I would take cattle poo over fertilizer and pesticide runoff in the water like 99% of Indiana has to deal with.

Cattle poo is not a problem in a water way, it is not as if we are talking a 500 head dairy operation that has a water way running through it, that would be a problem.

Yep.....

Yaaaaaaaaaaaa .... On 2nd Amendment Rights..***

Booooooooooooooooo. ....... On Personal Property Rights.......

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Ah, so he could be looking to put quite a few head out there... That sucks...

Mike

That isn't possible, it takes a lot of ground for a small amount of cattle and when they are grass fed they don't poop much as there is not a lot of intake/waste. All of which mean there will not be much poo and it would be pretty rare for one to take a poo while cooling down or drinking in the water.

You can research or better yet go out to someone's pasture and have a look for yourself, I actually raise beef cattle so I am not just talking ****...

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Me? Nah.... I was just looking for what options I had available if the portion of the stream I OWN becomes grossly polluted by someone else.

I am guessing you are also ok w/ shooting squirrels in the tree tops not knowing where your misses go? you either have to keep your stuff on your own property or you don't. I am of the mindset that if he is contaminating my property then he is responsible for it. I don't even know if there will be any issues yet, but if there are I want to know what my options are.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    This thread is really sad. I've been around a lot of farmers and never seen a single one do things wrong. I know that some do but the fact you rarely hear of it proves that it's few and far between.

This whole "guilty until proven innocent" that farmers face these days is ridiculous.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Me? Nah.... I was just looking for what options I had available if the portion of the stream I OWN becomes grossly polluted by someone else.

I am guessing you are also ok w/ shooting squirrels in the tree tops not knowing where your misses go? you either have to keep your stuff on your own property or you don't. I am of the mindset that if he is contaminating my property then he is responsible for it. I don't even know if there will be any issues yet, but if there are I want to know what my options are.

I'm certainly not going to argue this with you sir, and I'm not being a Weiner here but dude live and let live, things in the rural and not like the suburbs or city. But yes you are running with emotions with the thought of Cow poo floating down stream. You mindset and the laws are two different things.
    Did you take a good look all the way upstream before you purchased this piece of property you now live on ?
    Did you take water samples before you bought and had them tested ?
    Have you been taking monthly samples and have them tested so you have a documented trail of the creek water so when it becomes soiled with cow waste you can prove it was the farm just above you ?
    Do you have a series of water samples of the creek water from above the property that was just sold ?
    You are worried about a perceived problem, that most likely will never come to the forefront.

Now on to shooting squirrels, my son and myself I don't hunt squirrels, I have some neighbors that use some of my woods to hunt squirrels but both of them use 410's. Plus I own 640 +- acres. All bullets and shot stay on my property. Now occasionally coffee cans full of cement have been known to land in a field across the road, but the owner of that field is with us laughing like little kids with us when the cannon gets fired.
    And really I'm not being a Weiner. Being a good neighbor in the country is a neighbor that minds his / her own business.
    The man that crys wolf is not the good neighbor.
    Be the neighbor that plows the neighbors driveways because you have that day off and they are at work. When you cut the grass along the county road cut your neighbor's to.. You will have then made great friends after a few years and the circle will come back to you many times over.
    My neighbors looked out for my property for over 15+ years when I moved back east. I would gets calls if there was a problem with a renter or if I needed to take care of a problem with my property. I didn't see my place for almost 10 of that and it was just like I left it, but with larger trees.
    Getting along with all your neighbor's is paramount when living away from the city. All this is just MHO,, its your place do what you wish.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    This thread is really sad. I've been around a lot of farmers and never seen a single one do things wrong. I know that some do but the fact you rarely hear of it proves that it's few and far between.

This whole "guilty until proven innocent" that farmers face these days is ridiculous.

I can see both sides. The neighbor has every right to fence off a piece of ground and graze his cattle, but I wouldn't say that the OP has no reason for concern.

I remember one early fall day some years ago when I got home from work and, since my landlord had combined the beans in the field behind the house, I decided to take the dog for a walk back to the creek. When I got there, I knew something wasn't right. There was a bad smell and when I got closer I started to see dead fish. I knew the local CO and called him and we spent the afternoon and evening tracking down the source.

Long story short, a nearby hog farmer had pumped out some hog manure from the pit of one of his confinement buildings, with the discharge end of his hose right into a swale that lead to our creek. He killed fish, crayfish, and lots of mussels in that creek for almost a mile down.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I see your concern. But from what I have read about Tyner Pond Farm and their mission, I would go visit with Chris and see how he manages his farm. Find out what his intentions are with his land near you.

IMHO he appears to be very concerned with the land, his livestock, impact, community, and sustainability.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I can see both sides. The neighbor has every right to fence off a piece of ground and graze his cattle, but I wouldn't say that the OP has no reason for concern.

I remember one early fall day some years ago when I got home from work and, since my landlord had combined the beans in the field behind the house, I decided to take the dog for a walk back to the creek. When I got there, I knew something wasn't right. There was a bad smell and when I got closer I started to see dead fish. I knew the local CO and called him and we spent the afternoon and evening tracking down the source.

Long story short, a nearby hog farmer had pumped out some hog manure from the pit of one of his confinement buildings, with the discharge end of his hose right into a swale that lead to our creek. He killed fish, crayfish, and lots of mussels in that creek for almost a mile down.

according to 17 squirrel that's just a part of country living.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County

Yes things happen but not very often at all. Pumping out a hog house manure pit into a creek and a few cow patties dropping here and there aren't even close to being the same.

I don't know where to find the codes but they are there. If there are a certain amount of cattle I believe they now have to be under roof on a feed lot. There is a reason for this. Having some cows grazing in a field is still allowed because it doesn't impact the environment!

Top Bottom