• ...and so much more!
  • Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Friend of mine had 2 steers at one time. The steers were "T-Bone" and "Porterhouse". It keeps everything in perspective.

My wife wants a couple of miniature cows to go with our miniature horse. In what universe would I want a miniature New York Strip?
    Just cut’em thicker. Same weight. Smaller cuts/joint/ roast’s mean less leftovers, lot of empty nesters like dexter, mini Hereford, less out o pocket dollars for halves or whole carcass still a bunch o meat.

INPatriot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    God's Country
    Four years ago, I took over my Father-in-law's six Black Angus when they moved back into suburbia. I was raised in suburbia, had no livestock growing up and only started getting interested in owning livestock within the last decade.

- I have not had to purchased any livestock, I have been able to grow through calving.
    - I have sold a bull and a cow at auction.
    - I have turned a field used for row crops into pasture...not as fast as I would have liked.
    - I have built, mended the fence, replaced the fence, learned what I like and what I do not like.
    - I have learned how to get the cows going in the direction I would like them to go.
    - I have lost calves. I have lost cows. And I have had to get rid of both.
    - I have not purchased any equipment, yet. I roll and wrestle round bales.
    - I have developed relationships to have the opportunity to buy hay.

By no means do I have all the answers, I do have some and it has all come at the expense of learning the hard way. I have held calves as they expired and I have experienced the joy of the whole family standing along the fence as a calf approaches them. If I can be of any help, I would be happy to answer specific questions.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Just cut’em thicker. Same weight. Smaller cuts/joint/ roast’s mean less leftovers, lot of empty nesters like dexter, mini Hereford, less out o pocket dollars for halves or whole carcass still a bunch o meat.
    Hey! I'm not an empty nester....for another year.

Reactions: Mij

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    You can bet on that, I don’t care what breed they are or if you raised them from a bottle, never and I mean never turn your back on a bull. I’ve still got the hospital receipts to show.

If not for my German Shepard things could have turned out much worse, my hand was reaching for my gun as I was shaking the cobwebs from my head.

To the op, never pet a bull on the head, it’s not perceived the way you think it is by him. Read then read some more.
    I had a run in with one, it was a rodeo and he wasn’t happy that I attempted to ride him apparently cause he whooped my butt, could have really messed me up if he wanted but he just smacked me around a little…

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I had a run in with one, it was a rodeo and he wasn’t happy that I attempted to ride him apparently cause he whooped my butt, could have really messed me up if he wanted but he just smacked me around a little…
    I was seperating calves from moms useing the old feed bucket trick, the bull was in with the moms, I got complacent and turned my back to walk through the gate into the paddock. He got me right between the rear back pockets. Wife said I went over the head shoot and landed about 8 ft from where he butted me. The head shoot is about 7 ft. tall and cow wide. Dog saw it all and took over, it rattled my bells. Bout went out, mite have for a half second.

Never turn your back on a bull.

:n00b:

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I was seperating calves from moms useing the old feed bucket trick, the bull was in with the moms, I got complacent and turned my back to walk through the gate into the paddock. He got me right between the rear back pockets. Wife said I went over the head shoot and landed about 8 ft from where he butted me. The head shoot is about 7 ft. tall and cow wide. Dog saw it all and took over, it rattled my bells. Bout went out, mite have for a half second.

Never turn your back on a bull.

:n00b:
    I came off and landed on my head, knocked me out cold. My dad told me later that I was sitting up but unconscious and he hit me in the ribs with his head and I flew about 10’, then he ran his head up my back and then pawed me into the ground… I thought one of the bullfighters stepped in me :lmfao:

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I came off and landed on my head, knocked me out cold. My dad told me later that I was sitting up but unconscious and he hit me in the ribs with his head and I flew about 10’, then he ran his head up my back and then pawed me into the ground… I thought one of the bullfighters stepped in me :lmfao:
    D*** on your head. You my friend are very lucky. I landed on my right knee. E-R only. Worst thing is neither one of us got a buckle
    ;)

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I am looking for a cattle farmer who would be willing to let me ask a bunch of questions....

Basically, cattle for dummies...dummies, being me.

Long story short, I have a significant amount of land that once was home to cattle. I am bringing the property back to life, per say, and am interested in POTENTIALLY, POTENTIALLY, putting a couple head of cattle there.

If you have any experience in this field, and be willing to give me some advice, I'd love to chat!

Thanks INGO!
    Advice start out with something smaller. Look at the cost to benefit ratio. What would be your end game? Dairy, beef, raising and selling?

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    D*** on your head. You my friend are very lucky. I landed on my right knee. E-R only. Worst thing is neither one of us got a buckle
    ;)
    Ha, yeah no buckle, but that’s ok, We can both say we went toe to hoof with 1,500 pounds of pissed off hamburger! :lmfao:

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    our first cow we had butchered was named norm. i told my son to go get packages of norm out of the freezer. he did not want to eat it he was 13. now when i tell him to get captain out hes fine with it. we name them partly because we do a corn maze and the customers like them named.

HHollow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    Years ago there was a small sign above the bar at Cleveland, Montana.

“If you want to raise cattle then don’t shoot the bull”

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Sage advice about not turning your back / trusting a bull. No matter the breed. Even "docile" breeds like the belted galloway that I mentioned above. Yes, they're "docile". Docile for a bull cow.

I will say, though, that SOME breeds you're able to keep the bulls in with the cows, heifers, and calves more than other breeds. That may also be an issue if you want to keep a bull and don't want to be forced into maintaining another smaller pasture/paddock with it's associated feeding, watering, and fencing needs.

Another thing to consider: Processing. Processors now, at least in west-central / central Indiana are scheduling MONTHS out. Literally. If you have animals that were born this past spring, you're already going to be late getting them processed if you haven't scheduled already. And processing is flipping expensive - but at least the customer pays for that.

Grain feeding will hasten the fattening process (ahem). Vice versa, hay feeding / forage feeding slows the process. Both have plusses and minuses. Grain is flipping expensive. Hay is flipping expensive. Being able to grow and harvest your own grain is hard and expensive - especially if you don't already have the equipment and knowledge. Being able to grow and harvest your own hay is hard and expensive - especially if you don't already have the equipment and knowledge. Having access to a neighboring farmer's equipment and/or knowledge will go a LONG long long way.

My folks are quite fortunate in that my step-dad's uncle lives close. Lifelong row crop farmer and cattle raiser. Maine-Anjou, I think. Anyhow, if it weren't for all his equipment and knowledge, my folks couldn't ever do what they need to do. All that - and my dad still has to hire someone to do his hay.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I grew up with beef cows and unless you are going to live on the ground where they are would pass on doing anything with them. Number one reason is fencing, they are really hard to keep penned up without a regularly maintained fence, electric or otherwise. When they find something they prefer to eat outside the fence, like your neighbors lawn, garden, or crops, they will be getting out constantly.

They are large, dumb, and expensive. I've been stepped on and smashed into gates more times that I can remember as a younger man, and that's just the cows being clumsy. Both hogs and cows can be dangerous animals if they decide to go after you.

Depending on natural forage they will require some feeding through the year mainly in winter and early spring when hay gets expensive. Not sure what's on the ground you are looking at, but consider both water and shade for them.

Best of luck

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    We’ve figured a work around for the processing, me and a few other cattlemen call and each claim 3 or 4 dates. Then when a customer wants a beef we contact one another and trade dates. That way we can get a beef in when the customer wants it.

About 2 years ago our processer was 18/20 months out. That just ain’t good.

Top Bottom