• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    This just occurred to me as I converse with another INGOer.

How can the Colts and Lucas Oil Stadium and other large outfits move to cashless only transactions? CC/Debit only. Is cash no longer legal tender for ALL DEBTS, public and private? This isn't about the Colts. I, as a fan, quit all things NFL several years ago. I don't care if they start accepting Jennifer Aniston's fecal matter in trade for a hot dog.....hell, I may not blame them. But, I did recently give up on her also. For some reason, I can't give up on Willie Nelson so easily.

Anyway........back to cashless. Are we as a society going to let this happen in the way it is going? Why do we sit back and let this happen to us? I'd feel much better if they had an exchange for guns, ammo, gold and silver for season tickets. Heck, even PhyloDog might accept a fair trade offer for his season tickets.

Cash is the dirtiest thing to pass our grubby little fingers every day. In the past, kids gained immunities by biting their toe and finger nails. Sucking that dirty ol thumb. As we advanced in age, I believe, we gained world wide natural immunities from the trade of currency.

Cashless society has nothing to do with the threat of a lil ol disease and way more to do with control of citizenry. Small steps. They are gaining on us. Cashless, gunless, propertyless(is that even a word? It will be)

Next........Please wipe your feet and wash your hands before crowding in this box car for a trip to the shower house.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Just because something is legal tender does not mean that an establishment is forced to accepting it.

Pennies are also legal tender, no? Would you expect a gas station to take $50 in pennies to pay for a tank of gas?

How about when gas stations say they won't accept anything above $20 bills? Aren't 50s and 100s also legal tender?

Vendors can set the policies they want - within reason - and within the law. Not accepting paper money or coins is within their purview.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Just because something is legal tender does not mean that an establishment is forced to accepting it.

Pennies are also legal tender, no? Would you expect a gas station to take $50 in pennies to pay for a tank of gas?

How about when gas stations say they won't accept anything above $20 bills? Aren't 50s and 100s also legal tender?

Vendors can set the policies they want - within reason - and within the law. Not accepting paper money or coins is within their purview.
    That is CORRECT, but the Customer has the Right to SPEND their $$'s Elsewhere. CC for Gas at the Pump but CASH is still Legal Tender. Shop where You are Comfortable with the Transaction. A CASHLESS Society will NOT be a FREE Society.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville

Some states have made laws against denying cash, but I do agree with you. If I owned a business I should be able to set the rules of what we will accept. And, let’s be honest, if I’m forced to take your cash I’ll just find another reason to kick you out of my business.

Drewski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2019
    Deep South Side
    I work at the concession stands at Lucas Oil occasionally (like the GnR show next Weds) and most people are using cards anyway - your average tab is already at least $30+. I’d say one in maybe 25 customers tries cash first but seamlessly switches to plastic when I tell them cash isn’t accepted. Maybe half of those try throwing some shade my way about legal tender, govt overreach, yadda yadda, and I’m like, hey pal do you want your bud lights and pizza or not?

On the inside.

On the outside of course I always say with a smile, behind my mask, something like yessir, Im sorry sir, I agree it is inconvenient but I don’t even have change for you sir.

Im having a hard time directing people to the “reverse ATM” there that actually converts cash into a plastic debit card or some such.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Im having a hard time directing people to the “reverse ATM” there that actually converts cash into a plastic debit card or some such.
    Is there a service fee to use those kiosks? I have to assume there is, but would be happy to learn I'm wrong.

If they're going to force you to convert cash to plastic I'd hope it's an even trade, but I'm sure someone is making money somewhere.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    No question that this push toward a cashless society is all about people-control. Not only will they be able to see what's in our accounts, they'll be able to block unapproved politically incorrect purchases. On the bright side(?) we won't have to file taxes. They'll just in plug our data and fleece us as they see fit.

In any case, with their uncontrolled printing&spending they're destroying our cash anyway.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Anyone think card processors may begin to (if not already) include language in their contracts that require a non-compete (no cash sales)?
    They've certainly got financial incentive to do so.

How may retailers do you think would fight back on such a clause? Would they have enough leverage to red-line such a thing?

Drewski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2019
    Deep South Side
    Is there a service fee to use those kiosks? I have to assume there is, but would be happy to learn I'm wrong.

If they're going to force you to convert cash to plastic I'd hope it's an even trade, but I'm sure someone is making money somewhere.
    I can’t answer that; at the risk of being less “customer servicey,” I don’t tell anyone. The whole concept is just too much for my old fashioned brain.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    No question that this push toward a cashless society is all about people-control. Not only will they be able to see what's in our accounts, they'll be able to block unapproved politically incorrect purchases. On the bright side(?) we won't have to file taxes. They'll just in plug our data and fleece us as they see fit.

In any case, with their uncontrolled printing&spending they're destroying our cash anyway.
    Spot on.
    It's always about control.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Unless you're 8, an illegal, selling drugs, or homeless most of your 'cash' probably exists in electrons any way. Most of your wealth is probably not in 'cash'. The merchants don't give a crap about "control" or whatever. They want to make money.

Cash is more of a bother than credit cards. Cards don't require counting. The register never comes up short. Fake bills aren't passed. Robberies of either the business or the person transporting to the bank aren't going to cause a loss.

And...customers tend to spend more when using a credit card vs cash in the same situations.

But what about transaction fees, I hear you ask? I had the same question several years ago. Banks apparently also charge a fee for large cash deposits these days. I was rather surprised to find that out, but a couple of business owners told me they have to pay 1% to deposit paper money, more for large amounts of coins.

The only master plan is getting more profit per customer.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    It's all good till the machines go down and you can't use a card.

I was at Meijer on Keystone last week and wanted to use my card but it seems as though my chip had been worn down. Of course you can't slide because "chip detected" overrules any other function so they took me to an actual cashier who tried without success. Finally the CS desk had someone who was on the ball and able to punch my card in manually. It made me feel like I was back in the 70's using the old card machines with carbon copies.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    What about the phrase "for all debts, public and private"? Ive heard folks successfully forcing stores to accept larger bills than they would want to due to counterfeits. (give them a bogus$50 for a $5 purchase and you make money on the deal) I didnt think that stores could refuse cash? At least not if its a reasonable transaction ($50 bill for a $45 sale). Heck, many establishments with a "no bills over..." will still take them if they wont be giving much change. At least none have refused mine, even with the sign. One or two have asked if I have anything smaller and when I say no they proceed. (but that may only happen once or twice a year for me)

I could be wrong.

And its going to take pain on their part to change if they try to adopt cashless. It wont be until they lose revenue that they will be willing to reverse course and go back to willfully accepting cash. "Our sales are down 15% due to people going elsewhere. Forget that nonsense. Start taking their dirty money again so we make the investors happy." If its just "lots of complaints, sir. But sales are only down a few %" they may stick with it.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    As others have stated, it is all about control. With a cashless society, those in power can eliminate or control personal transactions and bartering. All transactions would have to be conducted through a source for transfer and the transaction would be recorded. The government would have a complete record of an individuals transactions and the power to freeze or eliminate an individual's account. Would the day come when you must comply or be eliminated?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And yes, the powers that be LOVE cashless. That way they can control you and see what you are doing. And charge you for handling that money. Big business there.

You think that getting banned from social media is bad, just wait till they can decide your views are not in line with what somebody deems proper and they cut off your accounts*.

But dont worry citizen. Just attend this reeducation class and we will turn your life back on.

*EDIT: This is already happening on a small scale with Square, Paypal, and others who shut down accounts and do everything possible to get you to either give up on the $$ in your account, or slow walk (6 months) your money back to you.

Last edited:

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    My opinion? It will never happen completely. There will always be free thinkers that will be willing to trade and barter with other valuables or labor. The more government puts the squeeze on, the more people will come up with ways to circumvent the system. The large companies and corporations will only end up hurting themselves and it will eventually bring back the popularity of small businesses.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I'm going to a concert at the music center in Noblesville tomorrow and it is a completely paperless facility now. No paper tickets, you have to show a barcode off an app on your phone. If you want to buy something it is card only. If you don't have a card they will have one of the machines by the entrence that will put your cash onto a card of some sort. Supposedly there is no fee for the change over service.

Top Bottom