• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Yes, as long as you don't exit your vehicle. So if they are taking awhile to leave the building, you can't go in looking for them.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    It's very annoying if you have a long day planned and it involves a school trip. You can park across the street and walk in as another option if you don't want to disarm all day. Be sure to have a good secure, hidden area in your car though.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    If you get written permission from the school superintendent to carry on school property, then there is no need to disarm (per IC)

IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter

Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.

Not sure how easily obtainable authorization would be to get, but I'd get it from the superintendent (or principal) and carry it with you if you do happen to score the permission slip.

Just wanted to throw this out there :)

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Yes, as long as you don't exit your vehicle. So if they are taking awhile to leave the building, you can't go in looking for them.

Just to add one more caveat....you have to be the driver of the vehicle. If you are a passenger that is no bueno.

Almost correct both of you.

You have to do the following:
    - be the driver in a motor vehicle
    - be operating the vehicle
    - stay INSIDE your vehicle
    - have a valid IN handgun license

So you pull into the parking lot and jr is not outside yet. Keep the car turned ON and in drive with your foot on the brakes and wait. You can't get out of the car NOT even to open the door for jr or buckle him in. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if you having the car in park while on is considering your operating the vehcile I think it is since you can get a DWI for having the car on and yet not moving but not sure.

It would be easier to get a carry permit in Chicago.

^THIS!

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    "I'm not sure if you having the car in park while on is considering your operating the vehcile I think it is since you can get a DWI for having the car on and yet not moving but not sure. "

You can be charged with DWI/DUI for sleeping in your car with the ignition off. You can be charged with DWI/DUI for having your keys in your hand while you walk to your car. (shows INTENT to drive even if you aren't ACTUALLY driving.)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm not sure if you having the car in park while on is considering your operating the vehcile I think it is since you can get a DWI for having the car on and yet not moving but not sure.

You can get a DWI if you have the keys in your hand and you happen to be walking toward your car, because that's "intent", for some reason. But, naturally, it's not "intent" if you're using it to defend yourself against a charge of carrying on school property.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You can be charged with DWI/DUI for sleeping in your car with the ignition off. You can be charged with DWI/DUI for having your keys in your hand while you walk to your car. (shows INTENT to drive even if you aren't ACTUALLY driving.)

You can get a DWI if you have the keys in your hand and you happen to be walking toward your car, because that's "intent", for some reason. But, naturally, it's not "intent" if you're using it to defend yourself against a charge of carrying on school property.

Geez, simulpost and almost word for word. :):

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Keep in mind also, the wording seems to be silent on picking your kids up from a baseball practice on a Sat. that is on a school property baseball field. That seems obscure but if you have kids that play sports a LOT of times they are using school property fields to practice or play games on. The law as written specifically only addresses the ability to pick up or drop off kids before or after school.

The way I read it...gun in vehicle and on school property is NO GO unless specifically picking up/dropping off kids before or after school. Any other reason you may need to be on school property is not mentioned and therefore assumed to fall under the illegal category. Just my take on the matter though.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The way I read it...gun in vehicle and on school property is NO GO unless specifically picking up/dropping off kids before or after school. Any other reason you may need to be on school property is not mentioned and therefore assumed to fall under the illegal category. Just my take on the matter though.

Actually, the law says "transport another person to or from a school or a school function", not "to/from regular classes"
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

MetalMan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Howard County
    So if little Suzy's science club is having a school sponsored pizza party down at the local Pizza Shack, and you take her into the building while carrying, then have you broken the law? It is an offsite school function, so the IC probably applies. Or if I'm minding my own business sitting at the park enjoying my lunch and a field trip of 1st graders walks into the picnic area. Am I obliged to leave if I am otherwise legally carrying?

My wife is a teacher and had car trouble the other day. I had my EDC with me and it created a little hassle. I parked on the street, locked my EDC in my box and then went to help my wife. Her school is in an area of town where I really wish I could have been armed since we were the only vehicle left in the parking lot. It is what it is, and I couldn't take the chance that the PD would role up at the wrong time.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    So if little Suzy's science club is having a school sponsored pizza party down at the local Pizza Shack, and you take her into the building while carrying, then have you broken the law? It is an offsite school function, so the IC probably applies. Or if I'm minding my own business sitting at the park enjoying my lunch and a field trip of 1st graders walks into the picnic area. Am I obliged to leave if I am otherwise legally carrying?

My wife is a teacher and had car trouble the other day. I had my EDC with me and it created a little hassle. I parked on the street, locked my EDC in my box and then went to help my wife. Her school is in an area of town where I really wish I could have been armed since we were the only vehicle left in the parking lot. It is what it is, and I couldn't take the chance that the PD would role up at the wrong time.

That boys & girls is the "rolling school zone" that INGO has talked about time and time again. Some of our ATTY members says no and some say yes. To date there has not been a court case in Indiana to rule on this.

In your first example you going to Pizza Shack the case is stronger that you better not carry as you are particiaping in a school function.

In the latter example how can any resonable person suspect that all of a sudden the park is a GFZ? but I'm sure an over zelous DA with her target set on you would make your life miserable.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

That's the gray area. We're waiting for a test.
    I would think if it is open to the General Public, you'd be safe. If it was rented out to the school and closed to the General Public, it would be illegal. But I'm not a lawyer.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I usually sit mine on the sink when I'm dropping the kids off at school.

Sorry, hadn't seen anyone make the joke yet. I'll let myself out.

Top Bottom