• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stormvetprime

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    I'm in Indianapolis and I may be getting a job driving a taxi what with the lousy Obama economy. I have a CCW permit and WILL be armed because I'll be carrying money (and people will know it) and I will be getting called to places of town I might not otherwise voluntarily venture into.

I haven't found any ordinance against this (which would be unconstitutional anyway) and I do not know the taxi company's opinion on it yet (but it won't matter because they're not out there in the line of fire).

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'd like to be locally legal if I can, without having to fight a case to the Supreme Court to win (which I will do) but I will be carrying regardless if I do get the job.

As they say better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Perfectly legal but possibly against the company's policy for their drivers.

The most that could happen would be if they fired you if it was discovered, but certainly not a legal issue.

Stormvetprime

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    I'm not worried about being fired, any business that does not proudly shout its support for the US Constitution in defiance of the politically correct left wingers does not deserve the luxury of my participation.

Like Patrick Henry said - Liberty or death.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    A few years ago I was taking a taxi home from B-Ripple and asked the driver if he had ever seen the movie "Collateral."

Well... I guess I hit a sore spot because he went on a 10 minute rant about how that would never happen to him while opening his glove box to reveal an old beat up Beretta 92. He never went close to touching the pistol or taking it out, but he proved his point.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I have a CCW permit

Just a quick correction but no you do not. Indiana is different than the states you read about in gun magazines. We have a License To Carry Handgun or LTCH. It does not specify how you must carry as Indiana law is silent on the issue. In other words you may carry Open, Concealed, on your person or in your vehicle.

Not trying to bash you for it because it is a very common mistake but it leads people to believe that you cannot carry openly in Indiana which is false.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    not had the opportunity to ride in many taxis but one I have we talked with the driver a bit and he carried. Told us many of the drivers carry to protect themselves. Mentioned the driver who was killed a few years ago and it scared a lot of them into carrying.

donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    There's no way I'd drive a taxi or deliver food without carrying. Especially in a big city. I wouldn't give two :poop: what policies were in place.

MagicKev

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Stormvetprime...
    I may be overstepping a boundary here, but will do say anyways, hoping it might help your overall situation.

Perhaps you need to look at your job situation a little differently. The job does not exist for you...it exists for the company owner. For others reading this, follow me for just a second. Doing a simple search online about Stormvetprime and in less than 3 minutes you can see that Stormvetprime rants and raves about 1st amendment rights not ending at the company's doors, just as he does here about the 2nd.

And I quote from Stormvetprime
    "I have a hard time holding a job because I do not recognize American society's embrace of the idea that the 1st Amendment ends at the door to some imaginary land known as "the workplace." Last I checked the Founders of this country did not start this grand experiment with the goal no one would ever be "offended" by anyone else. No, the American ideal is about Freedom and Liberty above all other things and to me, anything brokered by government that limits that is treasonous. I also realize my freedoms end where other people's freedoms begin and I am fine with that in the context of one's own domain. In other words, when I am on someone else's private property (which encompasses their home OR business OR club OR sports team, etc.) then their rights reign supreme and if I don't like it I am free to leave. The same is reciprocally true for me in my domain."

I think this is why you don't have a job. In life we all have to do things we don't want to do. For some it's at home, for some it's in the workplace, taxes, laws, etc.

I won't even go further into some of your other rants and ramblings. But I will say, be careful what you post or you may find yourself losing your LTCH.

I wish you the best in your job hunt. I do hope you find what you're looking for. Just know that the employment position does not exist for you. There will be rules in every position. Accept it or starve.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    When you do it, the glovebox is just to hold your backup. Be sure to carry on your person, in a manner that's easy to deploy from a seated driving position.

Garrett

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Stormvetprime...
    I may be overstepping a boundary here, but will do say anyways, hoping it might help your overall situation.

Perhaps you need to look at your job situation a little differently. The job does not exist for you...it exists for the company owner. For others reading this, follow me for just a second. Doing a simple search online about Stormvetprime and in less than 3 minutes you can see that Stormvetprime rants and raves about 1st amendment rights not ending at the company's doors, just as he does here about the 2nd.

And I quote from Stormvetprime
    "I have a hard time holding a job because I do not recognize American society's embrace of the idea that the 1st Amendment ends at the door to some imaginary land known as "the workplace." Last I checked the Founders of this country did not start this grand experiment with the goal no one would ever be "offended" by anyone else. No, the American ideal is about Freedom and Liberty above all other things and to me, anything brokered by government that limits that is treasonous. I also realize my freedoms end where other people's freedoms begin and I am fine with that in the context of one's own domain. In other words, when I am on someone else's private property (which encompasses their home OR business OR club OR sports team, etc.) then their rights reign supreme and if I don't like it I am free to leave. The same is reciprocally true for me in my domain."

I think this is why you don't have a job. In life we all have to do things we don't want to do. For some it's at home, for some it's in the workplace, taxes, laws, etc.

I won't even go further into some of your other rants and ramblings. But I will say, be careful what you post or you may find yourself losing your LTCH.

I wish you the best in your job hunt. I do hope you find what you're looking for. Just know that the employment position does not exist for you. There will be rules in every position. Accept it or starve.

Interesting. My thoughts on this, at least he is consistent and willing to stand up for what he believes in. Yes he may have trouble in today's "interesting" world. However I have always believed better to stand up for something than die for nothing. Whether him or I share the same beliefs is irrelevant, at least he isn't afraid to do something about it. :twocents:

MagicKev

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Interesting. My thoughts on this, at least he is consistent and willing to stand up for what he believes in. Yes he may have trouble in today's "interesting" world. However I have always believed better to stand up for something than die for nothing. Whether him or I share the same beliefs is irrelevant, at least he isn't afraid to do something about it. :twocents:

IMHO he is afraid to do something about it. He's afraid to start his own business, be the boss...oh yeah, wait, even when you are you're own boss boss, you still answer to other people. Suppliers, vendors, CUSTOMERS.

He's afraid to understand what the Constitution & Bill of Rights are really for. To state what your rights are and to limit the power of the government. That's it. It's not to establish how a private business must conduct itself.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    I can only think of one problem you might run into. I used to work with emotionally handicapped kids in schools, mainly IPS. There were a few taxi drivers that would pick up & drop off kids at some of the schools. In and of itself, not an issue. The problem was when the driver would have to go into the school for something.
    I have considered the taxi/limo driver job, too, and wondered about this.
    Good luck.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    A few years ago I was taking a taxi home from B-Ripple and asked the driver if he had ever seen the movie "Collateral."

Well... I guess I hit a sore spot because he went on a 10 minute rant about how that would never happen to him while opening his glove box to reveal an old beat up Beretta 92. He never went close to touching the pistol or taking it out, but he proved his point.

So the guy reveals a firearm to you, a stranger? Plus, it's in area where you could access it and/or prevent him from accessing it? Showing off is dumb.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I can only think of one problem you might run into. I used to work with emotionally handicapped kids in schools, mainly IPS. There were a few taxi drivers that would pick up & drop off kids at some of the schools. In and of itself, not an issue. The problem was when the driver would have to go into the school for something.
    I have considered the taxi/limo driver job, too, and wondered about this.
    Good luck.

Just tell them you're a sex offender and not allowed in schools! :):

Stormvetprime

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    Just a quick correction but no you do not. Indiana is different than the states you read about in gun magazines. We have a License To Carry Handgun or LTCH. It does not specify how you must carry as Indiana law is silent on the issue. In other words you may carry Open, Concealed, on your person or in your vehicle.

Not trying to bash you for it because it is a very common mistake but it leads people to believe that you cannot carry openly in Indiana which is false.

You are exactly correct, but because concealed is, in my view, the most preferable method I tend to reference that as "full" licensure - so I guess I should have said "I got one of them things that lets me carry any way I want" (even though the 2nd Amendment already says that, BTW.)

So you're correct in your semantics break-down, and I apologize for my unspoken subjectivity.

I would not want to carry openly unless I was in a law enforcement or security mode, otherwise I don't want to tip off a would-be attacker a clue as how to best rob me and succeed. Let them guess whether I am armed or not.

Stormvetprime

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    It's not to establish how a private business must conduct itself.

I think you forget that when anyone offers their services to someone else they are in fact their own private business. If you want to be owned by some company and be its lackey, that's your right. I'll pass.

Top Bottom