• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I had a Dr's. appointment today for some issues with kidney stones, knowing full well I was going to have to drop my pants so he could feel the boys up. I was carrying my 226 with just a tee shirt cover.

He came in we discussed the issue and then he told me to drop my pants.
    I informed him i was carrying a gun and didnt want him to freak out. He said thats ok I carry too, just pull your holster off your belt and set it in the chair.

This lead to about a 15 min. conversation on guns and holsters, did the exam and put it back on before finishing with the Q&A.

I really like this Dr. to bad when you schedual your appointment its a luck of the draw on who you get,(more than one Dr. in the office).
    Was a good visit all the same.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    My wife's chiropractor is gun friendly, however he hasn't quite figured out what he wants to do about people carrying in the office. She asked one day what his policy on carrying was, and he said that he'd not put any thought into it. He didn't have a problem with it, as he had LEOs come in all the time in uniform, and he didn't ask them to drop their belts, so asking a normal client to do the same would be unnecessary.

He told her he'd thought about putting lockers in the entry way just so they'd be safe from being dropped, knocked out, etc. but that he didn't care if people carried. I've been in there waiting on her several times, OCing, and they didn't care. It's nice to know that even doctors aren't anti-2A.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    If I had the professional obligation of having to grab a guy by the b@11s I think I would be a little more aware of and concerned with what he might do in a reflex like defensive maneuver.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I've been going to the same doctor for years & she has never said anything to me about mine, I just assume she's ok with it, otherwise she'd probably had said something.

b j

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2009
    south side of indy
    My wife had an appontment in a large doctors office on 86th street last week,ther was a no guns sign on the door.It was a first for me but i did honor it.

MedicMike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Henryville, IN
    I had an appointment last week with my PMD. As he was doing my exam told him I was carrying on my ankle, he didn't even bat an eye. No problems at all.

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    At least one other member of these boards and myself are students at the Indiana University School of Medicine, the only medical school in Indiana. I was pleasantly surprised to see the number of medical students that own guns, have licenses, carry, or are open to shooting. In fact I think we arranged a group trip to the next 1500 haha. I can think of four other med students that have their LTCH and at least 3 more who plan to accompany me to the range sometime to try shooting. This is all just from starting up lunch conversations, so who knows how many more would be willing. This is out of a class size of about 150 at the Indianapolis campus.

On the other hand, Indiana has a top notch medical school that attracts applicants from all over the world. I have classmates from California, Canada, India, Iran, and Guatemala. The student from Guatemala was more than a little surprised when I told him me my list of hobbies.

I think the take home message is that people from Indiana are pretty gun friendly, and that includes doctors/med students.

-ski-

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Many medical/chiropractic/mental health/etc. pratices will have a "policies and procedures" form or something equivalent to that, that you receive when you have your first appointment. This is the logical and typical place to look if there is any restrictions on carrying. My recommendation is to read the fine print on those forms before you sign them.

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    Many medical/chiropractic/mental health/etc. pratices will have a "policies and procedures" form or something equivalent to that, that you receive when you have your first appointment. This is the logical and typical place to look if there is any restrictions on carrying. My recommendation is to read the fine print on those forms before you sign them.
    Yes I remember seeing this on a form at my dentist

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    My dentist has given me permission to shoot his staff if they don't cooperate. Other doctors don't mention it. Nurses always ask what I do for a living for some reason.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    About five or six years ago I was at a walk-in clinic to get a drug test (I was getting a part time job at a department store working security around christmas to help out a friend. I was told I'd just have to fill out a form and I'd be good to go, so I was admittedly already mad about wasting my time urinating in a cup for two days worth of work). The nurse told me I had to empty my pockets and place everything on a table before going into the restroom to do my business. When she saw that I had my sidearm on me she flipped out and actually began yelling at me for bringing it into the clinic.

She tried to get me to take it off before going into the restroom, but I obviously refused. I told her she could come in and watch me urinate if she really though I was hiding urine in my holster or something. She finally just told me to go into the restroom with it.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    If I had the professional obligation of having to grab a guy by the b@11s I think I would be a little more aware of and concerned with what he might do in a reflex like defensive maneuver.

Yeah, and if you think THAT'S bad, what about the yearly prostate exam? (you guys over 45 know what I'm talking about). After you release your grip on the ceiling and a resounding "WTF!" all you can think about is how to persuade the doctor to NEVER do that again!

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Yeah, and if you think THAT'S bad, what about the yearly prostate exam? (you guys over 45 know what I'm talking about). After you release your grip on the ceiling and a resounding "WTF!" all you can think about is how to persuade the doctor to NEVER do that again!

Oh man I have got one coming up next week!:n00b: By the way, my Dr. often times open carry's when he is at work in his office seeing patients. If he is not open carrying he always has a couple stashed somewhere. Cool guy and a good friend. Heck he won't even take a co payment from me. Insurance payment only.:yesway:

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    About five or six years ago I was at a walk-in clinic to get a drug test (I was getting a part time job at a department store working security around christmas to help out a friend. I was told I'd just have to fill out a form and I'd be good to go, so I was admittedly already mad about wasting my time urinating in a cup for two days worth of work). The nurse told me I had to empty my pockets and place everything on a table before going into the restroom to do my business. When she saw that I had my sidearm on me she flipped out and actually began yelling at me for bringing it into the clinic.

She tried to get me to take it off before going into the restroom, but I obviously refused. I told her she could come in and watch me urinate if she really though I was hiding urine in my holster or something. She finally just told me to go into the restroom with it.

When I went for my last pee test, I locked up everything but my ID in my car. I was pissed that they didnt ask me to empty my pockets! All that work for nothing.

My rule of thumb is to just not carry if I am going to be taking my pants off. Dentist, checkup for a cold, etc, I dont care. I like my doctors, and they are all within my health insurance policy, so I am not going to rock the boat. :twocents:

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    My family guy knows I have guns but he doesn't know I carry. I may or may not carry into his office depending on the nature of the visit. My heart guy in KY has a "no weapons" sigh on his door. I honor his wishes.

Dodgerdoob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Bloomington
    I feel like there are enough Drs out there that I can find one that has policies I agree with. Just hopefully I won't need to do that search in an emergency.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I have never had a negative experience carrying at any doctors office.

Jokingly, my primary care doc, said one time, "I know this will hurt so don't shoot me."

He's been my doc for 33 years and counting.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    My rule of thumb is to just not carry if I am going to be taking my pants off. Dentist, checkup for a cold, etc, I dont care.

You take your pants off for your Dentist? Is she cute? Does she accept new patients? Have any pics of her? :D And I've never had to take my pants off for a checkup for a cold.:dunno: Maybe I need to find a new Dr. also.

Top Bottom