• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I have spent some time searching through the Indiana Code and the ISP and, as best I can tell, there is no prohibition on carrying handguns at polling places (per se, if the polling place were at a school, for instance, then the "no schools" rules would come into effect).

Have I missed anything?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Near as I can tell it is LEGAL to carry while you vote UNLESS you happen to vote at a place that is a designated GUN FREE zone such as a school, courthouse, or other off limits facility. I used to be a poll worker and the voting took place in a church gathering room, no reason why you could not carry there, its not a school and not a designated off limits public building.

I am not a lawyer, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    Also, be sure to check any local laws or ordinances as the preemption only affects laws after 1994. Just because it isn't listed under state law doesn't mean there isn't some local restriction.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Near as I can tell it is LEGAL to carry while you vote UNLESS you happen to vote at a place that is a designated GUN FREE zone such as a school, courthouse, or other off limits facility. I used to be a poll worker and the voting took place in a church gathering room, no reason why you could not carry there, its not a school and not a designated off limits public building.

I am not a lawyer, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Do note that if the church has a "private school" or even a "preschool" in that building (possibly even on same property), it is a restricted area, a Criminal Protection Zone. (IC 35-41-1-24.7)

I also am not a lawyer, nor is this legal advice.

Blessings,
    Bill

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Come on now you all. You know you have nothing to worry about. The police will be there to protect us all. LOL. At least I hope so.

Vote early in the morning. I think any terrorist will pull something only when the polling places will be full at mid morning. I hope not. Not LOL.

Remember Daffy and Duck.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I love living here in the sticks.
    I'll be OC'ing when I walk in to vote at our local baptist church. I just don't understand where N'Obama gets that I am angry and clingin to Guns and Religion. Oh well.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I remember hearing about a case not too long ago (perhaps last November?) about a man who was given much trouble for carrying at a polling place...I believe that something about "intimidation" was brought up.

I know I'm not much of a help...I don't know the location, the actual scenario, if he were arrested, nor the outcome. But trust me, I DID read something to the effect of the above.

-J-

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I remember hearing about a case not too long ago (perhaps last November?) about a man who was given much trouble for carrying at a polling place...I believe that something about "intimidation" was brought up.

I know I'm not much of a help...I don't know the location, the actual scenario, if he were arrested, nor the outcome. But trust me, I DID read something to the effect of the above.

-J-
    Yeah that was Pennsylvania. He wasn't arrested, but his license, or permit, or whatever they called it, was revoked. He went to court to battle it, and I believe he got it back.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I would conceal carry everywhere I go. Post office, school grounds, and at work.
    I will accept the punishment IF they find me with it rather than be caught in a situation in a NO ZONE where I needed it.
    We were traveling and stopped at a hotel that was a "gun free zone", rather than obey their sign and give them my business, I went to the next hotel that had no sign...they made me feel safer.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    While I have yet to find anything in IN Code prohibiting it, I have, ?read, seen, heard? illegal? Something akin to intimidation, almost as dumb as no booze on election day.

mpholic

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    I would conceal carry everywhere I go. Post office, school grounds, and at work.
    I will accept the punishment IF they find me with it rather than be caught in a situation in a NO ZONE where I needed it.
    We were traveling and stopped at a hotel that was a "gun free zone", rather than obey their sign and give them my business, I went to the next hotel that had no sign...they made me feel safer.

What state were you in where a sign made it a gun free zone? I'm pretty sure Texas has the rule but not Indiana. Just curious.

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    Early voting pretty much negates the reasoning behind outlawing booze on election day. Plus how are you supposed to have a good election night party, oh yeah, buy it the day before. As far as carrying at polling places I have no clue. I'm pretty sure I'm not allowed to carry if I were to attend the Obama rally in Munster, IN tonight.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    What state were you in where a sign made it a gun free zone? I'm pretty sure Texas has the rule but not Indiana. Just curious.

It may have very well been in Texas, as we drove to Cali and back last Christmas. Can't remember which state exactly though.
    Since I couldn't take my handgun through all of those states legally, I brought along my Taser with duct tape.

Top Bottom