• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I carry all of the time, but concealed. I don't see any hassle to it. No worse than the old fashioned quaint notion that I have to wear pants in public.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    It's not a hassle for me, but foolishness on the part of those who believe I am their enemy or criminal perpetrator. I carry everywhere I possibly can, except for work.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    After carrying for more than a few years NOT carrying is a hassle. I'm acutely aware when I'm working that I am unarmed. In fact work is the only place I don't carry.

Haxy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2015
    Laporte
    I carry everywhere with just a T-shirt over it. The bottom of the holster is always out and it prints and I have never had an issue anywhere I have gone.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I can't carry at work, due to working in a hospital building. It kinda sucks, and I would love to address that issue if I get the chance. I hoped I would have a chance after our recent "active shooter" training... but thats another story. If I'm not at work, I carry. If I'm in public and I'm not carrying, its because I intend to have a drink at dinner etc.. 95% of the time I am armed, and always CC. Nobody has hassled me anywhere.
    As far as it being a hassle, you get used to it. I carry an XDS 45 normally, but on a day I will be dressed really light (or if I have to tuck in my shirt), I have an LCP in my pocket that almost disappears with any pair of pants. While not always down right "comfortable", it will become "normal".

glockhound

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2015
    Columbus
    Like several others here, I carry everyday (concealed). The only real "hassle" I have ever experienced is when I switched from occasionally carrying to everyday, everywhere carrying. As I also always, always, always carry extra mags as well the pistol, this added some strain to my lower back and hips until I reconfigured my kit and clothing. Suspenders really helped. More to your point though, I don't think I've ever felt hassled by having to leave my carry gun in the car from time to time. Honestly, I try to stay away from the places that aren't as supportive of 2A as I am.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    OP:

The only one of those locations you listed that don't allow firearms is the public school... I see you are a teacher - so just leave the gun in your car.

I can't have my personal firearms at work either - so once I arrive, I un clip my IWB holster, and lock it in my glove box inside my locked vehicle... When I get off work, the gun / holster combo slips back inside my waste band, and I go on my merry way.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I started OC in 2012 after joining this site and reading up on it. I live in NWI which is probably less friendly to OC than most of Indiana. But even in NWI I have only been approached once in a less-than-positive manner. That was by the manager of a local grocery store. He questioned whether it was legal to OC. I told him that Indiana law makes no distinction between OC and CC. I have OC'd in that store many times since without a single word. I have crossed through intersections on my bicycle in front of a squad car waiting at the stop sign without a word, have crossed paths on other occasions with police officers on the bicycle without a word, have been out shopping, out to dinner, and about my daily business OCing more times than I can count, without a word. In fact, I have had such little conversation about it out in public that I really think the vast majority of people don't even notice. Well, then again, it could be that they just don't notice me. After all, I didn't get married until I was 52! :D

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    At the cost of getting drilled on a site such as this one, I have a genuine question. Do any of you hardcore carriers every feel "hassled" by carrying? I ask because a day in my life takes me to several places where I would think guns would not be welcome (. I guess I should research to be certain.). Walmart, Kroger, public school, hardware store, McDonald's. Do you all carry in those places ( except public school...I'm a teacher). It just seems like carrying on a daily basis isn't realistic for me... Am I way off with most places listed above?

Everyday carry isn't a hassle. Immoral and unconstitutional laws prohibiting carry are a hassle.

Of all those places you listed, the only one with which I would concern myself would be the school (thanks to the unconstitutional, federal gun-free schools act). The great thing about Indiana is: most of those other places will welcome you, and the ones that don't can pound sand.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    On a slightly ridiculous not, I hate having to do my business in a bathroom stall when I'm carrying. If I leave it on my belt, it would probably get quite the attention from anyone able to see under the stall. If I take off the holster and set it on the TP dispenser, that violates my rule of touching things unnecessarily in a public bathroom... all in all, only a slight hassle.

mkin8

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Indianapolis
    My Mother-IN-LAW was mugged at a local mall and relieved of her purse, including driver's license, cash, credit cards, etc.. Had I been there with my CCW perhaps this scenario may have had a different outcome. BTW, I hold a LTCH and am a U.S. Army Veteran. Thanks to INGO for providing me the Forum to vent my frustrations.

Top Bottom