• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I'm a teacher too, part time at least. I have a couple jobs... I carry everywhere I go but where I'll suffer legal repercussions for it. You can always lock your gun in your car while you're in school. Other than that wear it.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Mine's so physically comfortable I rarely notice it, and I carry always (except when I'm in my jammies) except where it's explicitly illegal. I do feel the absence when I don't have it, and kind of unprepared. We have it pretty easy in IN; schools, courts and post offices. I'm not sure they're quoting or applying the post office law properly, but a felony is kind of a dumb law to be a test case in.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Mine's so physically comfortable I rarely notice it, and I carry always (except when I'm in my jammies) except where it's explicitly illegal. I do feel the absence when I don't have it, and kind of unprepared. We have it pretty easy in IN; schools, courts and post offices. I'm not sure they're quoting or applying the post office law properly, but a felony is kind of a dumb law to be a test case in.

Jails and prisons. I thought courts were good, as in it wasn't illegal to carry in one, but good luck with the deputies and metal detectors. Better get a Glock 7.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I carry everywhere I legally can in the 3 states I am in on an almost daily basis. I usually carry a primary and a BUG. I have CC'd almost daily for going on 34 years so it is just habit to put them on in the morning. I learned long ago to dress around the gun, and bought quality holsters, belts, and mag pouches. Makes it a whole lot easier.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Not a hassle. If no gun signs held the weight of law in Indiana then I could see it being a hassle. Unless I'm at work, my gun is on me.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    I have been carrying for 42 years. For me it is normal. Hassle? Not for me, although it is a hassle when I can't carry because of a stupid law. As other have said, if it's a hassle for you to carry a gun then maybe you best leave it at home and pray you never need it.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Is it a hassle? No. Holster goes on when my pants go on. I forget my wallet more often than my handgun. I have a lockbox in my vehicle, for when I absolutely MUST disarm (eg: entering schools).

Do I GET hassled? Not really. Maybe a few dozen comments in almost 10 years, and I usually Open Carry. Maybe one negative comment? Never asked to leave, or been the victim of a MWAG call. Most folks don't notice, don't care, or go about their own business.

Working for a school may present more issues for you. Having to dis/re-arm multiple times per day would get annoying. Risk/reward, though.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    OP - The parts that you should wrestle with are the moral & ethical implications of having to use the firearm and taking the life of another... That (and some flack from those staunchly against us legally having firearms) was the only real hassle I ever felt. When you do the risk / reward analysis, you may realize that it is more concerning the places you can't legally carry and being to change some of the habits you have outside of work.

I'd say more, however everyone else said it for me...

Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    At the cost of getting drilled on a site such as this one, I have a genuine question. Do any of you hardcore carriers every feel "hassled" by carrying? I ask because a day in my life takes me to several places where I would think guns would not be welcome (. I guess I should research to be certain.). Walmart, Kroger, public school, hardware store, McDonald's. Do you all carry in those places ( except public school...I'm a teacher). It just seems like carrying on a daily basis isn't realistic for me... Am I way off with most places listed above?

It is interesting to me that the three businesses that you mentioned all have a corporate policies that require their outlets to follow State and Federal law.

As for schools in Indiana it is legal to securely store your firearm in your vehicle in a school parking lot.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    It is interesting to me that the three businesses that you mentioned all have a corporate policies that require their outlets to follow State and Federal law.

As for schools in Indiana it is legal to securely store your firearm in your vehicle in a school parking lot.

Yes, as of July 1st, was that this year or last? I've gotten bad with things like that. Used to be you had to have LTCH, be there to pick up or drop off someone, be the driver, and you couldn't leave the vehicle either with or without your firearm. I used to contemplate how to handle a breakdown. Now you can secure it in the vehicle and go into the disarmed victim zone.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I carry a lot. I always carry concealed and do not agree with open carry (could care less if you want to carry it that way) I won't. It draws unneeded attention. I sell cars and people walk in the dealership with guns all day everyday, most covered, you can see the print or the bottom of the holster. We get a bunch of open carry too, can't say I really care but I think you lose a tactical advantage. As for the OP question, Its a hassle sometimes***,yes... but I would rather have it then not. Depending on where I am going I may choose not to bring it but its not likely.

I have 2 main carry guns and depending on my outfit or where I am going will decide on which gun to grab. I see more and more armed robbers are hitting NWI so I have it 99% of the time.

What he said makes perfect sense to me
    If only there were a thread where this had been discussed ad nauseam.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Is it a hassle? Yes. Is it a hassle to pay for life insurance? Yes.

Risk vs. reward.

I cant carry at work, but my employer went out of his way to tell us we could keep our guns in our cars when the law was passed.* I have my gun near me at all times. Its not easy, and there are some times I dont carry because the reward doesnt outweigh the risk.

*as a side note it was funny to watch a clueless supervisor's reaction when he was lamenting firing one of his underlings. The guy didnt take it well, and hung out in his car in the lot afterward. Super got the willies because he knew from overhearing conversations between his subordinates that he keeps a gun in his car. (the workers are all good ole boys) He even expressed concern to HR that we are allowed to do so (implying its a bad thing) He related the story to me and I looked at him and said "You have absolutely no idea how many guns are out there in that parking lot right now, do you? There are more than you think. I'll bet you lunch there are at LEAST 10, if not more. And probably one or two inside the building as well against policy." He seriously contemplated my statement for a bit and said "you know, I never thought about that..."

I remember being at the W2 when they passed the law stating that we had the right to carry in our vehicles at work. I had always carried anyhow. The plant manager had a plant wide meeting to discuss with everyone how he thought it was utterly stupid to carry a gun anywhere. He mentioned how the state had made a huge mistake with this law and how it would lead to many gun related problems in the near future.

He then went on to say that anyone who felt compelled to carry a gun on their car to work should come see him and he would discuss further why it was a bad idea.

I tried like hell to get everyone in the plant to go into his office to discuss why they were going to carry in cars, even if they didn't carry. Not one single person would do it. They all knew he just wanted a list of people so he could start finding reasons to fire them. I don't miss that place at all.... well the paychecks were nice.

Now I carry all day, everyday. I disarm when I have to because of stupid laws and metal detectors. I guess I also remove the gear if I know I am going to be crawling in a tight space, laying carpet or some other physical activity where I beat the things up more than normal. I have worn down the NiB coating on my pistol and have fought rust on the sights as well as the mags. But it still goes bang, and I still strap it on every morning. Sometimes with a BUG, sometimes not.

JMWetzel89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    The only time I don't carry is when I'm at work( left in the truck) and when I'm at dtill( again in the truck). Those are also the only times I don't feel right. I make every effort not to go to places that guns aren't aloud. Even if the sign doesn't carry your weight of the law, if they don't want me to be safe they don't need my money.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    It is easier for me to carry my 1911 and spare mag every day than to fumble for my damn phone everytime it rings. And no I am no going to get a stupid phone holster. IMO it looks stupid and not enough retention as in a pocket. Too easy to grab and go. But then again I do like having a phone and I live with it. My left butt cheek just looks really flat.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    If carrying a gun is a hassle then you're carrying the wrong gun and/or are carrying it wrongly. A gun that's a hassle will be up on top of the refrigerator when you need it instead of in your pocket. You have got to find one that carries as naturally as your wallet. If you carry less gun but have it, that's better than carrying lots of gun but leaving it home (just this time! I'm only going a block away....) when you need it.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Having the gear and mindset to defend yourself and family is no hassle. Carrying a firearm, BUG, tactical knife, cell phone, spare mag, flashlight, adds a few ounces, but an ounce of prevention... better than a pound of cure!

Dress around, keep the carry your business(discreet), and obey the laws. Remove your firearm before restricted entrys, secure in a locked box-cabled to a secure object, use common sense.

My Wifey thinks that when carrying I look like a" poor old age farm hand". Holy jeans, work boots(or sneakers), flannel shirt untucked, Carhardt Vest, Camo Hunting cap, and either 2 Glocks or option to 1 G19, and a 442 S&W snub revolver.

Always armed and ready.

HawgdawgLS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2015
    US
    To the OP, if youre a teacher, I believe in Indiana school boards have the authority to authorize individuals to carry on school property. That includes faculty. You should contact an attorney that specializes in gun related law to find out the details, i.e. Guy Relford, Brian Ciyou, Kirk Freenman, et al.

Given the hysteria of school shootings, if school boards arent employing armed security guards they should allow faculty that have an interest in carrying to do so.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom