• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Not sure if this really is the proper thread but I just noticed an ad for a rifle that buyer says he will need to see the carry permit to sell. Raises question as to why. Certainly, no permit was ever required for a long gun. Now we allow carry without a carry permit. Why are sellers still hung up on that??? Seems like it sure reduces your potential customers.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Exactly this.. it's at least proof you were a proper person when you were granted the LTCH.

Which never expires now, so who knows how many villages someone has pillaged, or women they’ve raped, or clergy they’ve killed since they were granted the permit. :abused: Hence the OP’s question (which I find valid). Back in AZ, a permit was good for five years, after which you paid a nominal fee, they’d run another background check, and you’d get a new card. So it sort of meant something (it also bypassed the NICS check at your FFL). Here in IN, it’s nothing more than a “feel good” thing that actually means little to nothing.

I haven’t applied for mine yet, as this entire year has been beyond crazy for us. I’ve passed on a few deals because of it. I still have a valid AZ permit and had someone accept that, so that was nice. But yeah, for a state that’s supposed to be pretty forward thinking with regard to 2A rights, I find IN is behind the times a bit in comparison to AZ (which is now a blue state bit still somehow has better firearms laws, lol). Go figure!

End of the day, sellers can sell to whomever they want. If I REALLY want something, I’ll ask if my AZ permit is good enough. If it’s only a “sort of want,” I usually don’t bother them in asking out of respect for their time.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Imagine, some ask for a drivers license....like you need that! Ya cannot drive a gun!

Go figure!
    Well, that's a lot easier to understand. If you want to know that someone is an Indiana resident, them having a current Indiana Driver's license is at least something of an indicator, given that it expires.

On the other hand, taking a lifetime LTCH as evidence that someone is currently a proper person is, IMHO, somewhat less rational . My impression, however, is that it's less about actually proving that someone is a proper person, and more about having something they can point to as evidence that they did at least some due diligence, in the event that the ATF or some other agency comes knocking on their door because they unknowingly sold to a felon.

I would expect, though, that as the years go by and we see fewer and fewer gun owners bothering with LTCH because of constitutional carry, we will eventually see the requirement by sellers to see one become more and more infrequent.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I always make the same request when selling a firearm. It is simply a CYA issue.

I request to see the Indiana driver's license to make sure that I am selling to an Indiana resident. This is simply following the law, as I cannot sell to anyone residing outside of Indiana without going through an FFL.

I request to see the LTCH (no matter what the firearm type) to make sure that I am selling to someone who has at least passed a background check at some point. Could someone have done something to be deemed an improper person since the LTCH was issued? Sure, but the law simply states that I cannot sell a firearm to a person who "I know" to be prohibited. See below:

If someone gets bent out of shape because of my CYA procedure, then I am actually pleased that I'm walking away from the deal.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The classifieds here at INGO are to facilitate private sales. Most of the forum rules are classifieds related.

With that said, terms and conditions of the seller are up to the seller. If the conditions are acceptable someone will buy it. Demanding payment in $2 bills? Wait, what happened to INGOER $2 Bill?? :lmfao:

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    As I buy more than sell - I would like to see a way to check a Weapon to see if it is listed as Stolen -- i.e. a Website you can enter Make / Model / Serial Number -- which then checks a National Registry

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    As I buy more than sell - I would like to see a way to check a Weapon to see if it is listed as Stolen -- i.e. a Website you can enter Make / Model / Serial Number -- which then checks a National Registry
    i'm with you on this. even le and ffl's (last i heardl can't run numbers...but pawnshops can.

firearms laws make about as much sense as the tax code

Reactions: Mij

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette

This is a joke, right? You WANT a “national registry” for firearms? Isn’t that one the MAIN things we as firearms owners DON’T want???

Please tell me this is a joke…

Edit: maybe a database used SOLELY to report stolen firearms. Meaning it would only be logged if it had been stolen. But then you KNOW the Fed would use it to start data mining for a registry. Hard pass here.

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    This is a joke, right? You WANT a “national registry” for firearms? Isn’t that one the MAIN things we as firearms owners DON’T want???

Please tell me this is a joke…

Edit: maybe a database used SOLELY to report stolen firearms. Meaning it would only be logged if it had been stolen. But then you KNOW the Fed would use it to start data mining for a registry. Hard pass here.
    there is a national database for guns reported as stolen

Top Bottom