• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ed1838

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 20, 2022
    Seymour
    Why would they be carrying a long gun? I mean, it may be legal (don't know for sure about <18) but, why? Unless it's a Kyle Rittenhouse situation I guess...
    Well way back when I was aprox 12 or 13 was coon hunting and decided I would walk the road back home, rifle in hand. It was about 0300 a car drove by and was not long after a county officer showed up. At that time his only concern was if my parents knew where I was at. I had my dog with me and a few dead coons so it was obvious what I was up to.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well way back when I was aprox 12 or 13 was coon hunting and decided I would walk the road back home, rifle in hand. It was about 0300 a car drove by and was not long after a county officer showed up. At that time his only concern was if my parents knew where I was at. I had my dog with me and a few dead coons so it was obvious what I was up to.
    Yeah, I guess I've done the same. My buddies and I would walk down our road carrying a shotgun with a rifle slung, wearing hunting vests bulging with shotgun shells and a 500 rd. box of .22 lr. Nobody even blinked back then. Today's climate (at least in urban or suburban areas) is different though.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    NOT LEGAL ADVICE- I looked this up as an academic exercise to satisfy my own curiosity. I am NOT giving ANYONE legal advice.

After looking at the statutes (including those cited below), there is a list of places and activities where a minor can possess a firearm (any firearm). The list does not include basic carry in public, but includes a lot of things.

The Indiana definition of "firearm" is broader than the federal definition:

Ind. Code § 35-47-1-5

“Firearm” means any weapon:
    (1) that is:
    (A) capable of expelling; or
    (B) designed to expel; or
    (2) that may readily be converted to expel;
    a projectile by means of an explosion.

Ind. Code 35-47-10-1

(a) This section does not apply to section 7 [IC 35-47-10-7] of this chapter.

(b) Except as provided in subsection (c), this chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A child who is attending a hunters safety course or a firearms safety course or an adult who is supervising the child during the course.
    (2) A child engaging in practice in using a firearm for target shooting at an established range or in an area where the discharge of a firearm is not prohibited or supervised by:
    (A) a qualified firearms instructor; or
    (B) an adult who is supervising the child while the child is at the range.
    (3) A child engaging in an organized competition involving the use of a firearm or participating in or practicing for a performance by an organized group under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code that uses firearms as a part of a performance or an adult who is involved in the competition or performance.
    (4) A child who is hunting or trapping under a valid license issued to the child under IC 14-22.
    (5) A child who is traveling with an unloaded firearm to or from an activity described in this section.
    (6) A child who:
    (A) is on real property that is under the control of the child’s parent, an adult family member of the child, or the child’s legal guardian; and
    (B) has permission from the child’s parent or legal guardian to possess a firearm.
    (7) A child who:
    (A) is at the child’s residence; and
    (B) has the permission of the child’s parent, an adult family member of the child, or the child’s legal guardian to possess a firearm.

(c) This chapter applies to a child, and to a person who provides a firearm to a child, if the child:
    (1) is ineligible to purchase or possess a firearm for any reason other than the child’s age; or
    (2) if the child intends to use a firearm to commit a crime.

Ind. Code § 35-47-10-5

(a) A child who knowingly, intentionally, or recklessly possesses a firearm for any purpose other than a purpose described in section 1 [IC 35-47-10-1] of this chapter commits dangerous possession of a firearm, a Class A misdemeanor. However, the offense is a Level 5 felony if the child has a prior conviction under this section or has been adjudicated a delinquent for an act that would be an offense under this section if committed by an adult.

(b) A child who knowingly or intentionally provides a firearm to another child whom the child knows:
    (1) is ineligible for any reason to purchase or otherwise receive from a dealer a firearm; or
    (2) intends to use the firearm to commit a crime;

commits a Level 5 felony. However, the offense is a Level 3 felony if the other child uses the firearm to commit murder (IC 35-42-1-1).

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    The possession or carry law or to have a cc permit is very clear as stated at 18 or older. Form what i was told about the age 18 to 21 being able to go in a store and buy a firearm is correct and my daughter's bf just went thru it which is the extended time for the bg check. It took him 2 weeks for the "proceed" status. He is 20, has a lifetime cc permit, so if you thinking to yourself "if i have the permit, do i have to wait?" Yes, you have to still go thru the extra process to buy from an ffl...private sales to 18 or older doesn't apply.
    A minor which is under 18 carring a handgun is a no go...carring a long gun in public falls under the same rules. Unless that minor is with an adult, dressed in hunter orange, that minor is asking for big trouble these days. The good ole days have been gone for a few decades.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    (4) A child who is hunting or trapping under a valid license issued to the child under IC 14-22.
    (5) A child who is traveling with an unloaded firearm to or from an activity described in this section.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    When I was younger, the sheriff issued the gun license. Options were hunting, target practice, or self protection. Cost was $15.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Yeah, just wondering when my daughters will be allowed to legally defend themselves when out on their own. So it’s not really constitutional carry in Indiana, since the right to bear arms is infringed by age requirements. Do any states allow children to carry? And thanks Houghmade for the laws.
    Seems they are expected to rely on the “alternative” methods. (Pepper spray knife etc etc) Funny a 17yo girl cannot use a gun to defend themselves, does not make much sense to me. But they can join the military? No one bats an eye when the brinks man uses a firearm to guard money…………. But would lose their MINDS if a “minor” was allowed the tools to protect themselves.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Yeah, just wondering when my daughters will be allowed to legally defend themselves when out on their own. …
    I’m confused, are you expecting them to be “out on their own” before they’re 18?

Edit: Now that I think about it, maybe you just mean ”out and about?”

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I’m confused, are you expecting them to be “out on their own” before they’re 18?

Edit: Now that I think about it, maybe you just mean ”out and about?”
    I mean there are people under 18 living alone / fending for themselves…. But I would guess op is meaning out and about

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Not sure I'd want my 17yo daughter (she's only 5 right now) carrying a long gun while "out and about". Seems like an invitation to jump her and steal the gun. I'm not opposed to open carry, but open carry of a long gun by a 17yo seems reckless.*

*Unless, as stated previously, it's a Kyle Rittenhouse scenario

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Willphill12
    Top Bottom