• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    +1 to every statement you made. That's the problem with kids today, they don't get whoopins' anymore.

Which is ironic because you dont have to abuse them, that is inappropriate. Maybe my siblings and I weren't as tolerant of pain, and thus learned quicker, but I can count on one hand the spankings we got. All I am saying is that the people who think that spanking a kid is wrong... well I feel like thats doing the child a disservice. Of course I am not a parent so I have to be a bit cautious, because nobody likes an armchair quarterback, and I could be wrong. But its that line of reasoning that makes me scared to try to raise kids in the presence of a bunch of other kids who have no discipline.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    Which is ironic because you dont have to abuse them, that is inappropriate. Maybe my siblings and I weren't as tolerant of pain, and thus learned quicker, but I can count on one hand the spankings we got. All I am saying is that the people who think that spanking a kid is wrong... well I feel like thats doing the child a disservice. Of course I am not a parent so I have to be a bit cautious, because nobody likes an armchair quarterback, and I could be wrong. But its that line of reasoning that makes me scared to try to raise kids in the presence of a bunch of other kids who have no discipline.
    Nothing like getting spanked with a piece of plastic HotWheels track to make you get your act together. :):

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Kids need to be taught from a very young age not to handle guns. Then when they are old enough how to handle them properly. Don't let them fear them, but make kids have the proper respect for guns and there will not be any accidents.

I can remember growing up and we knew not to touch or handle the guns without supervision or permission. I have never lived in house with trigger locks, and I am not related to anyone who uses trigger locks and our family has not had an accident. Our family has never been afraid to apply the wood when needed either.

There are many idiot kids out there, but there are a lot of very good kids out there as well. Mostly the good kids have two parents, and they insist that the kids behave. Wow! A neat idea.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Originally Posted by pmpmstrb
    +1 to every statement you made. That's the problem with kids today, they don't get whoopins' anymore.
    I have learned that if you are firm with your kids and mean it, along with being fair, your kids will generally obey and spankings will not be as necessary. There is an old saying, "You don't need to teach your kids how to be bad". I was hands off with my daughter and had a handful by the age of three. I started having to spank her just to get her attention (because it was too late, kids personalities are generally formed by the age of three). Yelling and jumping up and down don't do a thing (which I did once and the neighbor called the police). Time out works if you have the kid that obeys generally, but not if you don't.

That said, my daughter is now a Marine, means what she says, and even animals obey her. She has a cat that rolls over on command. Her dog walks by your side with minimal commands. I don't know whether to feel sorry for or hopeful for my first grandchild. :nono: By the way, my daughter respects, and is good with, automatic weapons. :do2:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    You all are so right. I'm a stepfather to two girls, 7, 9 and a father to a girl, 3 and boy, 2. The two older girls have been thru a lot and have had no disipline until I came into their lives 4 years ago. It took two years to get to the point we are at now. Though they are not technically mine, they got whooped when it was necissary. They learned the hard way that I mean business. Their mom is slowly coming around.

The younger two learned when they first popped out that I'm tha daddy, you don't mess with daddy or you get burned! LOL I always picture Martin Lawerence pointing to an invisible crib sayin "Dis daddy *****! Don't **** with daddy!" No seriously though, they knew I meant business very early. I rarely have to pop em on the butt. And now that my son is FINALLY outta diapers, he realizes that a butt whoopin hurts! (Took him 3 days to be potty trained! :D )

I'm not afraid to whoop my kids. I've been before CPS before because of Natalie's mom making bogus claims about me so Natalie wouldn't move here with me. They told me spanking your children is actually a good thing. But you can't leave a mark and beyond whooping butt and smacking a hand it gets kinda gray. You can pop em in the mouth but you can't leave a mark and you can't do it repeatedly. If my kids cuss, they get a quick reminder. If they throw or hit at each other full force and the other gets hurt, whoopin. Get something they know they aren't to have or without asking, stinging hand.

We're to the point where lying is the biggest factor with the oldest two. Can't use soap so all the toys and TV was taken. And the bikes. That worked well. But above all, they know that guns can be used to hurt/kill people. When they started acting like it was all fun and games, even after "the Talk", I decided it was time to give them a dose of reality. I showed them the guy who reloads in his basement who shot his leg through negligence. I showed them video of real people eating real lead. That got the point across. The oldest girl is very adament about learning to shoot, but she knows how dangerous it can be if you don't obey the rules and use your head. Since taking away toys and what not, she's actually straighten up real quick and in a hurry. She's finally getting it. The 7 y/o is coming around too, slowly but surely. She's not AS interested in shooting but thinks it's neat. The youngest two.... whoa, that's a whole thread in itself! They love watching daddy clean his guns and watching videos about shooting sports. They especially love clay shooting vids or anything that explodes like water jugs and such. And they acutally listen better than the older two sometimes.

I guess my point is don't be afraid to whoop your kids if they deserve it. Social workers even encourage it to a point. Just use your head and use good judgement.

Sorry about the book.

pheenix42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Lafayette, IN
    Cherry tree switch, which YOU had to go get.

As the man said, "That would be the longest walk...in the WORLD!"

My apologies for continuing the threadjack.

Stevenlong8

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Monroe Co.
    Absoutely

I always co in my yard, i have had multiple incidences in my neighborhood and there are only 2 registered cc permits on my street and i am one but there are for sure 3 more that carry unlawfully, and in the neighborhood im in , things have calmed down on my end of the" hood" the trouble moves away, and dosnt come near anymore. The way i see it, i know there is one other than me wanting to protect His/Her home and family, I just make the point for unscrupulous individuals not to bring any trouble to my home
    Glock21 on one side and when i feel frisky a set of magazines on the other.
    The way the laws are people can rob u blind and then sue you for it , I just hope that makes them think twice, they might not get a chance to.:twocents:

dclaarjr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Fremont, Ohio
    I often OC in my yard. There used to be a crack house down the street about a year ago. Of course we always had the punks trolling around up and down the street and obviously scoping things out. That's when I decided to OC when doing something outside in the yard.

Since then, all vandalism, and car break ins stopped immediately around my house and my closest neighbors. Whenever a group of wannabe bangers would be walking down the street (I don't think they knew what a sidewalk was.) I would go out in the front yard and just stare at them. One time one of them started to ask me what I was staring at, but his buddy stopped him quick and got him moving down the street.

After about 3 or 4 months the people running the crackhouse left and there hasn't been one in this neighborhood since. I don't know if they were arrested or just moved. The house was never boarded up though.

I don't know if my OCing around my yard did any good or not, but I didn't have anything stolen. I do have one neighbor that complains when he sees me carrying, but he complains about everything so I just ignore him.

Top Bottom