Carry handgun with round in the chamber.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Huh, it was people on this sight that convinced me to carry with one in the chamber. I’d always been a revolver guy, I was nervous for various reasons.

I did just watch this video a few minutes ago. Apparently some Israeli defense forces carry without one in the chamber. The guy doesn’t get real specific as to which, but this draw and rack they use is interesting. Not for my edc, but interesting.

How's that working out for them?

HK Slap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2024
    Richmond
    I wish people who carried on empty chambers would sign up for a force on force class, and carry it with an empty chamber. It’s a better way to learn there isn’t enough time than finding out in real life.

When you need your gun, you need to be ready right now.
    Even if you had a round in YOUR chamber, these dudes would dead you first and they don't have a round in their chamber...

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    A lot of things can happen in the moment. If the firearm I am carrying has a safety, then I will carry in the chamber. If not, I work racking the slide into my draw drills. Know your weapon, practice, and take nothing for granted. I also carry wheel guns that have no safety other than the long trigger pull. As long as you get comfortable, do what you will.
    " Know your weapon, "
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    Too much FAIL in this statement to reply to...
    This poster does NOT Know his weapon, or the safety built into it...Bill

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Are you talking about the original person posting this?
    I'm speaking to anyone who carries one of the two most popular handguns out there.
    Glock-Any Gen.
    S&W Revolver-Any Model.(Made in the last 50 years or so)

"If the firearm I am carrying has a safety,"
    ^^^ ALL of the above models have an internal safety that keeps the firing pin away from the primer, and/or the hammer away from the firing pin.

"wheel guns that have no safety other than the long trigger pull."
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    THIS is a FALSE Statement on the Most popular wheel guns out there=J/K/L/N frame S&W Revolvers!

So, I guess my statement applies to someone who will post false statements.

As YOU said "Know your Weapon".......................Bill.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I'm speaking to anyone who carries one of the two most popular handguns out there.
    Glock-Any Gen.

^^^ ALL of the above models have an internal safety that keeps the firing pin away from the primer, and/or the hammer away from the firing pin.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    THIS is a FALSE Statement on the Most popular wheel guns out there=J/K/L/N frame S&W Revolvers!

My guess is the Charter Arms, and Taurus, being less expensive than S&W, are more popular than S&W. Even these two inexpensive revolvers have transfer bar safety mechanisms. That said, no matter what you shoot, the safety mechanism we should ALL be relying on most is the one between your ears.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Glock-Any Gen.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A lot of folks even those that know better make false statements because they don’t know any better. Like we have all heard some folks refer to the J frame 442 or similar S&W as a “hammerless” revolver when it has a hammer it’s just internal and you don’t see it.

Same with those that are new they won’t get a SIG 365 or S&aw shield until it has a thumb safety because to them internal things don’t matter. I liken those thoughts to how many people couldn’t get use to direct deposit pay checks in the early 1990’s they wanted that “paper check” in their hand even if they had to drive in on their day off to get it. People are just funny creatures

Funny old school story back in the 1970’s when I was a kid my Mom had a credit bureau and I saw many many Police officers coming in and out one decided to talk revolvers with me and he showed me his cylinder and there was only 5 rounds the empty chamber he put not under the hammer but as the first chamber to come up so he had to do 2 trigger pulls if he had to shoot it. That was a way some did it back them before weapons retention became a normal police training item!

Like the empty chambers on semis something’s die a slow death

Last edited:

Gunaddict

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 19, 2024
    Greenfield, IN
    It seems every forum has bullies and trolls are so I am going to say this. If you are going to do nothing but throw insults out to anyone that asks a question or feel like you want to throw out your knowledge in a condescending manner, please go somewhere else. You have no idea who I am or what my experience with firearms are. We are all on here to get along and share knowledge and experience. What you did, Billy Bob, was take what I said out of context and inserted your own. Yes, there are internal safeties that keep the firearm from going off if dropped or holstered and three internal safeties that have to engage when you pull the trigger, but you are committed when your finger is on the trigger. Which is what I intended to convey. Regardless, your insult was uncalled for. It is every responsible gun owners duty to point out things that may be issues or misconceptions and I still learn something every day. Spouting off things in a manner to make yourself look like the smartest guy in the room doesn’t help anyone. I’m not on here to start fights and I want you to share your knowledge. But, please, don’t talk down to anyone. It may prevent someone from asking a question for fear of being ridiculed. Thanks.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    "your insult was uncalled for"
    ^^^
    My apologies to you on this.

My intention is to be sure that anyone-especially new people to the carry of a handgun-knows that the current batch are completely SAFE to carry with a full magazine/cylinder, with a round in the chamber.
    This information does address the topic as posted.
    Gunaddict have a GREAT Day...Bill.

Gunaddict

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 19, 2024
    Greenfield, IN
    "your insult was uncalled for"
    ^^^
    My apologies to you on this.

My intention is to be sure that anyone-especially new people to the carry of a handgun-knows that the current batch are completely SAFE to carry with a full magazine/cylinder, with a round in the chamber.
    This information does address the topic as posted.
    Gunaddict have a GREAT Day...Bill.
    Apology accepted, sir. Thank you for your support on this and your help. We are all family and need to stick together.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    How's that working out for them?

That worked out about like I expected.
    Lucky for him that other guy engaged him and took him to the ground while he was still trying to chamber a round.
    If they aren't allowed to carry a round chambered. I hope they use this for training and why they need to practice everyday or be in this guy's shoes.
    Again he's lucky he had someone there to take the terrorist down.

Top Bottom