Carry handgun with round in the chamber.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    They say a grizzly can cover over 40 feet in one second. If you carry on an empty chamber you will not have time to chamber a round vs a grizzly at 40 feet let alone draw, and fire in that amount of time with one in the chamber.

Usain Bolt can cover approximately 30 feet in one second. If a person can run half that speed that's still 15 feet in one second. That is mighty slow at around 10mph approximately.
    So a two legged bad guy can reach you easily in one second at 15-20 feet away. Most people can't even draw their firearm, and aim it that fast, then a little more time to fire.
    Now factor in an empty chamber.

All this assumes you know you're going to have to draw, and fire. Factor in the time it takes for your mind to grasp the situation you are in, and it's going to add a little more time to the equation.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Rifles and shotguns carried at half cock, but in the same era revolvers carried on an empty chamber.

Technology of the time and the perception of the time.
    To clarify on the early SA revolvers, the hammer was also the firing pin and if you had a round in the cylinder under the hammer and simply hit the back of the hammer hard enough, the gun would fire and shoot oneself in the foot or leg. Back then, it wasn't all that 'safe' to carry with a round under the hammer...but yet some still did.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    They say a grizzly can cover over 40 feet in one second. If you carry on an empty chamber you will not have time to chamber a round vs a grizzly at 40 feet let alone draw, and fire in that amount of time with one in the chamber.

Usain Bolt can cover approximately 30 feet in one second. If a person can run half that speed that's still 15 feet in one second. That is mighty slow at around 10mph approximately.
    So a two legged bad guy can reach you easily in one second at 15-20 feet away. Most people can't even draw their firearm, and aim it that fast, then a little more time to fire.
    Now factor in an empty chamber.

All this assumes you know you're going to have to draw, and fire. Factor in the time it takes for your mind to grasp the situation you are in, and it's going to add a little more time to the equation.
    If you do more research, you'll find that most people need a true distance of closer to 50'-60' when one gives allowance for 'danger-recognition, reaction time, cognitive response (see, grasp, do), etc', even while utilizing good situational awareness skills (being alert and aware) while avoiding being distracted.

Last edited:

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I believe it all boils down to people just being afraid of guns even though they think they aren't because
    they own/carry one. That and they just aren't sufficiently familiar with them.

When I first started carrying a Browning High Power cocked and locked in the early 90's it felt a bit
    weird at first but there was always one in the chamber. I became so familiar with it by handling, shooting
    and dry fire and mag changes with dummy rounds that I knew it was safe. That transferred to my beloved
    1911's. I was going to the mailbox one night, missed the holster and the 1911 fell muzzle first onto the carpet.
    Gee, it didn't go off with one in the chamber (dumb mistake) so I suppose they can be safely carried that way.
    The only thing that will make any properly functioning firearm of any type fire is by pulling the trigger. The
    ONLY handgun I will not carry with one in the ready chamber is any form of SAA without a transfer bar. Yes,
    I have been known to rarely carry one.

Ya know how many times I fell asleep in the recliner or couch while wearing a holstered pistol and one in the
    chamber? Yes, it's safe and also made me feel comfortable carrying any weapon in more than just the
    fact there was one in the chamber. It made the holstered pistol feel a part of my body.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    If your gun isn't safe to carry with one in the pipe, you need a different gun.

Yep, I ran into someone the other day who had a legitimate reason for not having one in the pipe at all times. It was a CZ52 without a passive firing pin stop, and he had already had a mechanical failure that resulted in an ND before.

But he insists on carrying it because "modern guns are boring."

This is really a major problem with a fair number of people. A gun is not a classic car, and you are not doing a historical re-enactment with your daily carry. It is a daily carry, it is a piece of life saving equipment, it is not a fashion accessory.

All guns are always loaded, it's rule 1 for a reason. If you believe your firearm is prohibitively dangerous for carry with 1 in the pipe, you need to find yourself another firearm.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Yep, I ran into someone the other day who had a legitimate reason for not having one in the pipe at all times. It was a CZ52 without a passive firing pin stop, and he had already had a mechanical failure that resulted in an ND before.

But he insists on carrying it because "modern guns are boring."

This is really a major problem with a fair number of people. A gun is not a classic car, and you are not doing a historical re-enactment with your daily carry. It is a daily carry, it is a piece of life saving equipment, it is not a fashion accessory.

All guns are always loaded, it's rule 1 for a reason. If you believe your firearm is prohibitively dangerous for carry with 1 in the pipe, you need to find yourself another firearm.
    I've actually been involved in a discussion on here in the past with a person about that exact same model of gun for the exact same reason. Cool gun. Not a good choice for carry.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Back after 9/11 when all the NG guys were walking around airports asking people questions I wondered if they were empty chamber/full magazine with their M-16s. Coming back from mexico once air travel was resumed I always got questions, friendly, easy ones, but I always felt that the wrong move would have bad results.

Not sure how fast those guys could chamber a round I just always figured the kept chambers empty.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Back after 9/11 when all the NG guys were walking around airports asking people questions I wondered if they were empty chamber/full magazine with their M-16s. Coming back from mexico once air travel was resumed I always got questions, friendly, easy ones, but I always felt that the wrong move would have bad results.

Not sure how fast those guys could chamber a round I just always figured the kept chambers empty.

*Typically* they are kept chamber empty for a few reasons.

1) You've got a lot of your buddies with guns as well. It's highly unlikely you are going to be ambushed, grappled, etc. with nobody else to deal with the issue.

2) Free float firing pins and armory storage. Repeated cycling of rounds (and guns are stored empty in the armory for obvious reasons) is bad for the ammo and can result in primer failure.

3) Zero defect mentality for career pathing. COs would rather eat a plate of **** than have a UD by one of their soldiers.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    IMO if you feel the need to carry on a empty chamber.

1. You have no training

2. You are not confident in your abilities

3. You probably weren’t raised in a household with weapons

A weapon is a tool no different than a hammer or shovel.

If a person wants a very safe pistol you have amazing selection. Striker fired with manual safety, DAO, DA/SA, Revolver, SA cocked and locked.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Some historical perspective.. about some of these older firearms. (That don't make good carry pieces)

In deference to what was said above.. Guns USED to be Fashion Accessories.
    Guns like the CZ52, TT33, French M1935/M1950, and various other old military pistols were made to be worn in a visible belt leather holster, with empty chambers.. They were less self defense pistols, and more a badge of office. Something you could take out and wave about to lead, threaten, or inspire. Even the 1911 used to be carried this way...

If your going to carry a classic, make sure you can carry it.. safely, and be able to get the safety off quick enough. (A few old guns could be carried safely with one in the pipe and the safety on, but the safety was some obnoxious 180 degree throw lever, or was in some obnoxious place)

Now at times I will carry one of these classics around with me.. with an empty chamber in a visible manner in the leather holster. But only because I have another gun that is safe to carry with one in the pipe.

Piezak

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2024
    Mooresville, IN
    The fact this is still an item that gets re explained time and time again is what gets old. I hear some trying to justify an empty chamber and I have never heard a reasonable example. (And none of them train as Israeli commandos do but there’s more to that whole thing folks just don’t understand)

Just like the few I have heard say that they completely discount a modern striker because it doesn’t have a manual “safety” and they aren’t comfortable and don’t want to train themselves to be comfortable nobody can help them so as far as me, I don’t even try whatever you do you!
    You shouldn't let that grieve you. I am a crusty old noob who has never owned a handgun. My wife and I are in the market. We are closing in on a purchase; hopefully sooner than later. We've taken a couple of classes and have fired a few thousand rounds through a loaner from a friend. I am the person who doesn't know nor understand these kinds of things until they are spelled out to me. Some of that may be age; some of that inexperience. I (we) need it explained to me (us).

BIGE7.62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    65   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    Unfortunately my babygirl has been told that she can /should carry her pistol in her purse on an empty chamber. Without a holster at that !
    * Mom / step dad *

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    You shouldn't let that grieve you. I am a crusty old noob who has never owned a handgun. My wife and I are in the market. We are closing in on a purchase; hopefully sooner than later. We've taken a couple of classes and have fired a few thousand rounds through a loaner from a friend. I am the person who doesn't know nor understand these kinds of things until they are spelled out to me. Some of that may be age; some of that inexperience. I (we) need it explained to me (us).
    My statement was directed at the ones that know better that give bad or outdated information.

As a trainer I grieve on such things because that bad info gets folks that might be new or not know any better set up for failure!

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    If someone is concerned I just tell them to cock the gun and leave it in their safe for a month, after the month is up and the gun still has not set itself off yet that generally gets the idea through their head.

Then the next issue is beating into their heads to make sure their holster is clear from obstructions when they reholster to avoid any issues there.

Top Bottom