carry gun and decent priced trunk gun .22 magnum?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seeker1321

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Elkhart
    I am looking at getting a new carry firearm. I am wanting someone smaller for concealment due to place of employment. Then I got to thinking about what if something ever happened, and keeping some supplies, a bug out bag, and a rifle or shotgun secured in my trunk. I would like the option of having something close more then just my pistol, to help me better get home to my family and the bigger stuff. On the other hand I don't want to keep something really valuable in my trunk in case my car was ever broken into. So I don't what to have my AR-15 or another high dollar rifle in there. I have not made up my mind on any of this, and it could end up being a dumb thought, but I just thought I would bounce the idea off my fellow INGO users and see what everyone thought of it.

Couple of things I am leaning towards a small revolver as my carry gun, I am mainly looking at pocket carry, and I am currently looking at the Ruger LCR or S&W line of revolvers. However I will consider other options.

These are a couple of options I was thinking about.

Option 1. Get a .38 Special revolver for carry gun, and then a pump 12 gauge shotgun for the trunk. I would need to keep two kinds of ammo in vehicle but could have the options of different load for the shotgun. Also the .38 special would give my better stopping power then option 2.

Option 2. Get a 22. magnum LCR for carry gun, and a 22 mag rifle for the trunk. This would allow me to only have to worry about stocking one type of ammo. I know I would lose so power by using a .22 mag, but from the research I have been doing, while not the best carry load, it is still a capable round, and I would only be a short distance from my vehicle with the better stopping power of 22 magnum in a rifle.

Thanks for your opinions,
    still learning
    Eric

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Although the 22 mag is a capable round I don't know that I would rely on it for my safety. How bout a small 9mm or 380 to carry and a shotgun in the trunk?

seeker1321

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Elkhart
    I've considered a small 9mm because my full size is a 9mm so that would keep it to one caliber, but I just haven't found the right fit yet. I really like the M&P Shield, but it's a little big for pocket carry.

I'm at the research stage right now, so I've been reading a ton of reviews, handling different guns, and shooting the ones I can. I want to make sure I do the leg work. I know there is no perfect solution, I just want to find the best fit for me.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    How much is too much to lose if your car is broken into? If your chosen platform is the AR then I recommend the same for your trunk. Build a basic iron sight AR for +/- $600 and trunk it

seeker1321

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Elkhart
    How much is too much to lose if your car is broken into? If your chosen platform is the AR then I recommend the same for your trunk. Build a basic iron sight AR for +/- $600 and trunk it

I was trying to keep the trunk gun at $400 or under, but I could see this as a possibility.

Ruger LC9 in pocket and a 9mm carbine in the trunk?

I have considered a 9mm carbine. I will have to check out the LC9, I have heard negative reviews on their triggers, but I haven't shot one personally.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have considered a 9mm carbine. I will have to check out the LC9, I have heard negative reviews on their triggers, but I haven't shot one personally.

This seems like a good option. If not the LC9, maybe a Diamondback DB9? I've been following them for awhile now and while they had a lot of issues at first, they seem to have resolved most if not all of them. The thing with a pocket gun is, due to the size, they're not made for putting thousands of rounds down range, and I think that's the mistake that a lot of people made with the DB9. People that just shot them enough to remain proficient didn't seem to have the problems that people who were trying to use them as a range gun did. They're very small, very light and thin, and you can't buck the laws of physics. For the carbine, I think the High Point would be a good trunk gun - reliable (from what I've heard), inexpensive and lifetime warranty. (DB also carries a lifetime warranty and their customer service is very good.)

R33D0

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    I would definitely check out a small compact 9 like a CM9, LC9, etc. and for a cheap truck gun that is pretty reliable check out the HI-Point carbines, I know a lot of people knock there pistols but their carbines are very reliable with a price point of 250-300$.

Ferdo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2013
    Poplar bluff
    There is a problem with all guns. None of them work if they are not in your hand. A .22 mag is not optimal but I have worked enough deaths with .22 to know they will work and a .22 mag will work even better. It has the advantage of being in your hand when you need it. You will not leave it in your desk or in your car because it is just "hard to conceal".
    O
    as far as a trunk gun? Well in the olden days we had these things called shotguns. In an urban situation if you are shooting more than twenty five yards you are not escaping you are engaging. There is a reason that every copper in the USA has access to a shotgun. An ar is fun but let's face it it is basically a Barbie for men.

A pump gun always works and with the right ammo it will do anything you need. As a bonus it will not draw a lot of attention to you like an ar "buck rogered " out.

indydrew1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    This seems like a good option. If not the LC9, maybe a Diamondback DB9? I've been following them for awhile now and while they had a lot of issues at first, they seem to have resolved most if not all of them. The thing with a pocket gun is, due to the size, they're not made for putting thousands of rounds down range, and I think that's the mistake that a lot of people made with the DB9. People that just shot them enough to remain proficient didn't seem to have the problems that people who were trying to use them as a range gun did. They're very small, very light and thin, and you can't buck the laws of physics. For the carbine, I think the High Point would be a good trunk gun - reliable (from what I've heard), inexpensive and lifetime warranty. (DB also carries a lifetime warranty and their customer service is very good.)

Diamondback? I don't know. Everyone that owns one I know tries and way over justify them. Those that don't own them, that once did, do nothing but trash them. There are just so many issues. Why waste time with guns like that when there are so many good guns out there?

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I no longer keep a long gun, but when I did, I had a $150 Rem 870 loaded with buckshot behind the seat in my pickup. Served its purpose just fine. And when it rusted away, I just bought another... though the price went up significantly and I didn't put the new one in the back of my cab.

For small pocket guns, I liked my Beretta Nano, but the 8 mile trigger pull was a bit much. My LCR is always with me. A J frame, I've not owned one of the exotic alloys, but the ones I've had were pushing the weight limit in my pocket. LCP/P3AT is the best pocket gun I've ever met. Kahr PM9 will fit your pocket but may be stretching the budget.

I've experienced too much unreliability in any rimfire to trust it with SD task. A revolver reduces the issue, but it's still there. There's plenty of centerfire options on the market that rimfire can be excluded unless you're looking for something like the NAA revolvers, in which case, may I recommend a good pocket knife instead?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    22mwr is a good round. Unless you are dealing with a PMR-30, you are limited to a wheel gun if you want reliability. Im not sure if it was the PMR, but in the late 80's-early 90s I recall seeing a solitary WMR auto in the gun bible (the expansive "whats being made" reference at the time) as well as maybe 1 or 2 auto rifles. All were reported as incredibly tempermental as blowback operation on the WMR round was finicky at best, and incredibly hard to engineer reliability. This difficulty also explained why every other WMR was either a bolt rifle or a revolver.

Fast forward 20 years and the PMR seems to be a decent gun. But as Dan mentioned, I wouldnt trust rimfire as a SD weapon in an auto due to the lack of reliability of ammo... the "no bang" problem in a revolver is solved in a millisecond with another squeeze of the trigger. No cycling the slide with your off hand, etc. Hell, I sighted in my 10/22 last month with brand new CCI stingers and I had 1 dud in the box that even a second pass didnt detonate.

I'd confidently carry a WMR revolver if I needed the absolute discretion of a lightweight pocket gun. would I prefer a 9? sure. But the WMR seems to keep up nicely with the other preferred pocket caliber, .380.

timsdl72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    West Lafayette
    I would definitely check out a small compact 9 like a CM9, LC9, etc. and for a cheap truck gun that is pretty reliable check out the HI-Point carbines, I know a lot of people knock there pistols but their carbines are very reliable with a price point of 250-300$.

+1
    Easy to shoot. More power from same round. Reliable. Cheap.

WWalker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    Cameramonkey I believe that 90's 22 WMR was the Grendel P30, what a POS that was. As far as the KelTec PMR30 I own one and it has been great.

Top Bottom