• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MbMinx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Indianapolis Area
    I'm trying to decide which gun I really want to carry.

Among my collection are a Makarov and a .22 Phoenix. I know, I know, the Phoenix is a junk gun, but my dad and I put several hundred rounds through it without any problems. I'm also pretty good with it - much better than I am with anything other than my Mark I and my Hi-Point 995 (neither of which I'm going to carry).
    I've been carrying the Makarov because of the (perceived) improved stopping power, but I'm just not that accurate with it yet.

Is it better to carry something that you can shoot accurately or something with more stopping power that you aren't as good with?

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    Personally, I would buy a bunch of ammo for the Mak and never look back. Actually, that's some of the cheapest ammo I've seen available in bulk lately. I think around $250/1000 is what I saw it listed for on gunbroker the other day. Hey, if it's good enough for the entire Russian military, it'll probably work for my needs, too.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Depends on a lot of factors.

Consider your most likely circumstances that you'll be in. If you think in your every day life are more likely to encounter someone on some sort of controlled substance or otherwise hell bent on actual violence against you, you might want the stopping power.

If you are more likely to be in a situation of a "common criminal" theorizing you to be an easy target you MIGHT be able to get by with the mere display of a firearm and actually engaging with it may not be as strong of a factor.

This is all a balance of potential risk and it's important to remember that the other end of that balance is your life potentially, so be careful in choosing.

Personally, I would recommend buying ammo for the larger caliber and practicing with it extensively and seeking appropriate training to make yourself better with it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Can't miss fast enough to win. How accurate is "not that accurate"?

Ideally, buy a quality gun that's both accurate and offers sufficient stopping power. If you're going to take the responsibility of carrying a firearm to protect yourself, don't carry junk and don't carry something you suck with.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    All things being equal, a hit with anything is better than a miss with anything; but when you are talking about a .22LR I would really urge you to take the time to work on your accuracy with something a bit larger. There are several good instructors in the Indy area, and you might get tremendous benefit out of a class.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Old school here. Large caliber I shoot accurate. .45acp 1911 Kimber Custom 5"
    I carry a .380 P3AT Keltec as plan B, but I'd hate to have to depend on a .380 to stop a bad guy with chemical issues.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If you can shoot the .22 Phoenix well, you can learn to shoot the Makarov well.

I'm trying to decide which gun I really want to carry.

Among my collection are a Makarov and a .22 Phoenix. I know, I know, the Phoenix is a junk gun, but my dad and I put several hundred rounds through it without any problems. I'm also pretty good with it - much better than I am with anything other than my Mark I and my Hi-Point 995 (neither of which I'm going to carry).
    I've been carrying the Makarov because of the (perceived) improved stopping power, but I'm just not that accurate with it yet.

Is it better to carry something that you can shoot accurately or something with more stopping power that you aren't as good with?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Stopping power is a misnomer. Most all carryable handguns are poor man stoppers.

That said - carry the biggest caliber you can comfortably put 5-7 shots into a fist-sized group at 7-10 yards within 1-2 seconds.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I dont carry it if I cant shoot it well. My favorite for absolute accuracy is my little S&W J frame. 5 shots that I can cover with my hand, as fast as I can pull the trigger at 7 yards. My 1911s are very close to this, and I am getting there with my LCP, but I still get a flier every once in a while. If its not accurate enough to hit what I am shooting at, its a liability to me and anyone near me if things go south in a hurry, no matter what the caliber.

Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    Take at least an NRA Basic Pistol course with the Mak, practice, and get good with it. The thing you have to remember about the .22 is that if you have to shoot someone it will not be a question of whether it will kill someone, but when it will kill someone. If you truly need to shoot someone you want them to leave you alone ASAP and not in a few minutes. The bigger round is more likely to stop them now and not later. That being said, if you shoot someone in the face or heart with a .22 they are going to leave you alone much faster than if you miss them with a .45.

Like others have said, try to think of what kind of people you are most likely to have to deal with. If you take the .22 up against someone that's dead set on killing you no matter what or are running on PCP, or other like drugs, you might as well kiss your ass goodbye. If you're more worried about regular, petty criminals than the .22 might very well be enough to be left alone.

After saying all that, look back at my first sentence for the simple answer to your question.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    That's an age old question. Is it better to land 10 rounds of 9mm on a target or 6 rounds of .45 (assuming you are a bit slower shooting the .45 accurately)? In some ways, the argument becomes a bit less important with the quality of today's ammo. There are some very high quality cartridges available in all popular calibers that are more than effective if we do our part. I've upgraded my carry ammo to Hornady Critical Duty in 9mm +P for my CZs.

Then again, depending on what you are shooting at, or shooting through, heavier calibers can have an advantage as well. Not many handgun calibers are capable of defeating body armor, but a hot 10mm round will make more of an impression than a .22lr would. If you are out walking your dog and a couple of thugs roll up an an Explorer and start shooting, will your carry rounds be able to penetrate auto glass and doors while still having enough energy to penetrate reasonably well? Or, will your carry rounds be deflected by a windshield or door. I don't know if a .22lr would penetrate enough to cause effective damage.

I don't pretend to know the answer. For now, I carry a larger caliber and accept that I shoot slower with it than I do with a .380 or 9mm. But, I also feel that what I hit will be penetrated be it a windshield, door or person. Depending on where I'm going tomorrow, I might answer differently and carry a large capacity 9 instead.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I settled on the M&P9C, because I am very accurate with it. I never cared for a .40 or anything larger than 9mm because for me the recoil substantially degrades my accuracy. So far and away, accuracy is more important to me than stopping power. HOWEVER, I would never carry a 22lr for self dense, even if I was more accurate with it, since it is just terrible for that purpose for many reasons.

Yellowjeep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Ft wayne
    Just stuff a 12ga. Down your pants. Hell of a man stopper, and it makes you look really hung. Sorry everybody else took the right answers but mine at least gives you more confidence.

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    For me personally, I would echo the sentiment of carrying the makarov and practice practice practice. Develop your skill with it until you are able to use it effectively. Invest in training, and hope and pray you won't need that weapon at your side.

Top Bottom