• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Ok. I started out trying to do the Roger Raglin diet. I bought his book, "A Big Deal", read it from cover to cover and took copious notes, and plowed in full steam ahead. A lot of what he does and instructs you to do makes sense, but at the same time, goes against the conventional wisdom of the Atkins/Keto. The Roger Raglin diet is strict, and after several weeks, I dropped out, feeling like a complete failure. All that said, as best as I can recall, over that several week period, I lost 8-10 pounds. I was impressed.
    When I stopped the Raglin diet, I went back to Keto. I have done the Keto diet before, and had great success losing weight before, but over Thanksgiving many years ago, I simply went back to all the old ways of eating and blew up again.
    When I started Keto again this time, I only went full-Keto for about two weeks. Whether it was that my system had been jump started by the Raglin diet, (and this is what I believe it was), or just because the lack of carbs and sugar combined with how bad my diet had been before, I continued to lose weight. Slowly, very slowly, but even when the scale didn`t show much or any weight loss, I could see that my body composition had changed and was changing. I "felt" different, and really felt better. I`m 6'4", and at my heaviest was probably about 286 pounds. I say "about" because, at my heaviest I was so embarrassed, ashamed, and self-conscious, that I wouldn`t get on a scale anymore.
    So anyway, in late August I was down to 273 pounds, and I very very slowly decreased my weight, until finally this December, I logged a weight of 255.8 pounds. And this was even with not following the Keto extremely hardcore. I was simply cutting out most sugar, and taking in very few carbs. But I still allowed myself to have cookie dough ice-cream, which I LOVE. And now, I know I`ve gained some weight back over Christmas, and I most likely will add just a bit more during the New Years timeframe, but I know that beginning in early January, I will get back on track as I will cut out all carbs and sugar for an indefinite period to not only get back to a methodical weight loss, but to expedite the weight loss until I get somewhere near my quasi weight goal of around 220 pounds.
    All of this just to say that I`ve been watching You Tube Videos about the Carnivore Diet, and I`m intrigued by what I`ve seen. As I`ve read the comments section on each video, I`ve seen a lot of people say that they are not following the Carnivore hardcore, but they are doing what they`re calling a "Keto-Vore", and loose combination of the two. I`m putting all of this out there hoping that someone else may benefit from where I`ve been so far in the weight loss journey, as well as to ask if anyone else might be doing the Keto, the Carnivore, or even the "Keto-Vore", and to ask how you`re going about it and how you`re doing? Or maybe someone is even tougher than I am, and have been on the Roger Raglin diet. I`d love to know what you`ve been doing.

INP8riot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    West Central
    Congrats on losing weight and having the will power to figure that stuff out!

My wife had to go gluten free, so I figured I would too. When I researched that in order to harvest wheat, it is first sprayed with glyphosate to be easier to harvest, it became a no brainer. It also causes leaky gut which allows toxins in your blood stream. I dropped from 260 to 210 in a couple months. I have heard similar stories from other guys I have talked to about going gluten free. My wife has been buying me some donuts and baked goods as treats since thanksgiving and to be honest, I feel like crap. I have to get strict again.

My next hurdle is sugar. But its very hard to be gluten free and sugar free because the other flours are very bitter and sugar is used to overcome that.

I got a couple deer this season, so the wife and I have a carnivore test planned once we eat up what is left in the fridge.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    congrats, keep it up. I haven't done any strict dieting. I have found that my gut doesn't like wheat over the last few years.
    I've also found that I generally don't "feel" good if I indulge in desserts/sugary foods.
    I try to live by moderation in all things. Granted I'm not actively trying to lose weight as much as I'm trying to not gain weight. I'm 5'9 and weigh about 185. I am active in lifting weights; I can squat/deadlift 400 pounds. I don't fit the BMI test, but I'm stronger than the average inactive person.
    Historically my Dad's family has always been very overweight. Maintaining an active lifestyle and healthy diet has been closer to the front of my mind in my mid/late 30s.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Congrats on losing weight and having the will power to figure that stuff out!

My wife had to go gluten free, so I figured I would too. When I researched that in order to harvest wheat, it is first sprayed with glyphosate to be easier to harvest, it became a no brainer. It also causes leaky gut which allows toxins in your blood stream. I dropped from 260 to 210 in a couple months. I have heard similar stories from other guys I have talked to about going gluten free. My wife has been buying me some donuts and baked goods as treats since thanksgiving and to be honest, I feel like crap. I have to get strict again.

My next hurdle is sugar. But its very hard to be gluten free and sugar free because the other flours are very bitter and sugar is used to overcome that.

I got a couple deer this season, so the wife and I have a carnivore test planned once we eat up what is left in the fridge.
    Congratulations to you too, you`ve lost quite a bit of weight, very impressive. And I`m not surprised that you feel bad after eating all the sugar. I don`t know if this has ever been quantified, but I have read that sugar is a much bigger culprit than carbs inasmuch as bad health goes. I`ve read that cancers feed on sugars, and that ditching sugar 100% can slow down the progression of some cancers, sometimes.
    The best two pieces of advice I got were: First, To lose the weight and not gain it back, it has to be a firm change in lifestyle, and not a "diet", and secondly, learn to look at eating as the means to fuel the body and not as an exercise in pleasure. In other words, stop eating for "enjoyment", but eat instead for a fuel source.
    Losing weight and keeping it off has many, many health benefits and can literally allow you to drop some medications, and as I`ve gotten older, (I`ll be 67 in April), I`m more and more interested in this.

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    I'm two or three weeks into eating things that either had a face or came from something that had a face (people excluded).
    I'm 62 now and have lived a relatively healthy life, cruising along on Carb-River. Don't take that the wrong way. I wasn't running marathons or entering Mr. Universe competitions. Over the years I've slowly added on poundage. Nothing debilitating, but more of a nuisance. I did no official weighing, so I'm not exactly sure where I started from. But my guess would be it was about 10lb or so from where I am now. Dusted off the scale three days ago and weighed in at 187. Scaled up this morning to 185. I don't feel hungry, so I may not eat much if anything today.
    Running on lower carbs HAS helped me get off the constant feedbag treadmill. The cravings for always throwing something down my gullet are gone.
    Being retired, I've had more time to focus on how I feel and where my health is headed.

Feedbag.jpg

Top Bottom