• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    Your buddy will do more harm than good by installing both 15" and 12" in the same system. Causes audio issues.....but I am assuming clarity and audiophile quality aren't his goal here. They will also effect the db bass levels....but you will certainly hear him go boom from down the street.

I'm just sayin......;)

My buddy's car got towed yesterday because the officer heard him before he saw him. He has 2x12" around 250-300 watt each speakers, driven by a (supposedly) 1000w to 1 channel amp. What he wants to install a "Kong" amp, which was rated at 1412w, certified from the factory. He has that.

He wants to do 3x15'' and 2x12'' speakers to fill out the amp. Dumbass.

He also wants to buy a "warhorse" which is really, truly heavy duty. It's a 10,000w to 1 channel amp. Warhorse | KICKER

I'm going to start calling him repeat soon, he's gonna be/is a habitual offender.

He is also 22, not 17 :D

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I can't remember the name of the shop but it is around 54th and Keystone, on the east side of Keystone. I think they moved down the street a block or two.

I have purhased there plus they have done my installations. They are a local shop that has been in business for a very long time. Recommended.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have a Sirius radio mounted in my truck in a cradle, and I bought a $20 inline splitter from RadioShack that you plug the vehicle antenna co-ax into, then plug the short co-ax pigtail from the splitter back into the radio, then the audio feed from the satellite plugs into the splitter. You match radio frequencies on the satellite radio and the vehicle radio (Sirius has a function for this, I don't know about XM) and, no more static! All for $20, two ty-raps, and an hour's time.

Yeah, my XM will do this, too. There's a $20 part for it. Eventually I'll probably do that as well and stop using the AUX. I want to mount it with a car cradle first, though, but those are $75 and they're getting hard to find for my XM. The AUX will give me a lot of flexibility on how I use the stereo, though, so I may ulitmately forego the car kit.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I've been into car stereo ever since I was in high school. When I was working at Wyant Ford they had me do any and all work that had to do with car stereos, especially anything aftermarket. I had a few guys come in with issues with their amps or wiring and I got them fixed up and on their way in no time normally with little to no cost involved. What kind of vehicle do you have? I could probably do it for you pretty cheap. And guarantee my work. Heck when I was at the dealer one of my jobs was to install aftermarket stereos in 6 crown vics we got in for Madison county that all had the stereo delete kit in them. I told my boss what I needed and on average after doing the first one, could have each one done in about a half hour or less total. And all the officers were totally happy with no complaints.

I've had Sony before and got lucky with it. It was a decent stereo but died right before the extended warranty went out. I took it back to HH gregg and pulled it out of my car right there in their parking lot within a couple mins (I used to keep the special tools for it in the car, lol). I convinced them to give me store credit rather than send it in and be repaired. I was either wanting a Kenwood or a JVC. I went home with a JVC arsenal series. And now have one in both of my cars. I love them both been very good and reliable stereos with great sound and features.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Having ordered the thing, now I can't wait for it to ship. *sigh* Expected delivery on Thursday. :tantrum:

If only I knew when my suppressor paperwork was going to ship...

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Ok, got my stereo today and got it "installed". They sent me a wiring harness, but didn't send a faceplate and mounting kit. :xmad:

If I had known they weren't going to include that, I would have just ordered it. Now I have to wait another week. In the meantime, the radio is installed in "Smash my window and steal me because you don't have to dismantle the dashboard" mode. This is why I wanted to just have it professionally done. I didn't want to have to dick with this stuff.

On a related note, even with the face plate, there doesn't seem to be any way to attach the radio to it for secure mounting. I'm unclear on how that will work, but I guess I'll find out. :dunno:

ETA: The bluetooth phone integration rox.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    On a related note, even with the face plate, there doesn't seem to be any way to attach the radio to it for secure mounting. I'm unclear on how that will work, but I guess I'll find out. :dunno:

Let us know how it goes. For the above scenario, are you talking about mounting the faceplate to the console of the car, or mounting the stereo to the face plate? If the latter, which I am assuming is the case, there is usually metal tabs on the sides of the radio that you will "fan out" and click into place securing the radio to the faceplate. There will also be a backstrap on the back of the radio for mounting the back of the radio to the car so that it stays level and secure.

Hope that helps......

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Let us know how it goes. For the above scenario, are you talking about mounting the faceplate to the console of the car, or mounting the stereo to the face plate? If the latter, which I am assuming is the case, there is usually metal tabs on the sides of the radio that you will "fan out" and click into place securing the radio to the faceplate. There will also be a backstrap on the back of the radio for mounting the back of the radio to the car so that it stays level and secure.

Hope that helps......

The radio has a flimsy bracket that has the aforementioned tabs, although from what I can see in the picture of the faceplate, there don't appear to be any ridges or slots for the tabs to engage. This suggests that the tabs are friction-only, which will be insufficient for mounting the stereo. Furthermore, the faceplate doesn't seem to be deep enough to support the weight of the stereo even with friction tabs (see the picture). The faceplate itself will screw to the dashboard behind the front fascia. It's hard to tell from the picture. I looked at some similar ones at Fry's and I just don't see how it'll work.

28vaqso.jpg

As for the rear of the stereo, there is no backstrap whatsoever. There's a metal bar on the factory radio that presumably serves that purpose, but there's no indication that it's adjustable (or in fact even removable) for use with an aftermarket stereo.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    Okay....the radio itself should have a "shell" on the outside. So there is a metal box of sorts around the radio that should slide off of the radio. This metal box will have tabs that bend outwords and towards the rear of the car. Once you slide this metal box into the faceplate adapter, those tabs will be forced inward as it slide through the faceplate....and once it clears the faceplate it will click and that tabs will pop out onto the outside of the faceplate......on the back side of it to secure the radio. Then, you slide your radio into the metal box and it will click into place with similar tabs.

As far as the backstrap, I am surprised it didn't come with one. Does it have a CD player? I know that this was primarily used to stabilize the unit so CD's didn't skip over bumps, but it also helped secure it to the car.

It's hard to describe all of this....I will see if I can find some pics to help illustrate....or I would be happy to help when the other pieces arrive.

Or hell...maybe things have changed that much over the past 5 years that I have no idea what I am talking about......

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Yeah, it has the shell. That was the flimsy bracket I mentioned. As for the tabs, it's clear that the tabs should prevent it from sliding back out, but based on what I can see in the picture above, as well as what I saw of the faceplates at Fry's, there's no way those tabs are going to keep it from sliding farther in. The only way that's going to happen is if I can remove (and reuse) the metal rod currently attached to the factory stereo.

Regardless, it's all a moot point until I get a faceplate. I'm going to call them tomorrow to find out why I didn't get shipped one.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Normally in the install kit there's a plastic piece meant to work with your vehicle to hook up to the rear of the stereo to help hold the backside level. But sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't I've normally been able to come up with my own way of holding it up. The install sleeve for that will prob have some edges that stick out on top and bottom and hold it against the front of the surround you had pictured. With it all out of the dash you then use a small screwdriver and pop out the tabs on top, bottom and sides, whatever ones you can get to that will help hold it in place against the surround. And it likely won't budge.

If you're worried about it being stolen till you get the install kit, then just remove the faceplate when you get out of the vehicle and take it inside with you. I used to do that alot myself too. Didn't want my $250 stereo disappearing from my car.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    there's no way those tabs are going to keep it from sliding farther in.

Regardless, it's all a moot point until I get a faceplate. I'm going to call them tomorrow to find out why I didn't get shipped one.

The radio won't slide in because the trim around the actual radio face, will sit flush against the mounting faceplate and keep it solid against. So you have the trim of the radio and faceplate pushing the unit forward and the metal tabs pushing backwards.

But, like you said, once you get the faceplate it will be much easier to visualize and figure out. Let me know how I can help!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Ok, I found a Metra aftermarket faceplate at Ovation, where I overpaid for it ($24). The one from Sonic Electronix was $10 + $13 for UPS Ground, so the cost is a wash and I don't have to wait for shipping (although I'm still pissed that they didn't send one with the stereo like they were supposed to). I think I see how the bracket locks in now. The last time I installed a car stereo (about 13 years ago), things were very different. I believe duct tape was involved with that one.

I also removed the stabilizer post from the factory radio, but I haven't had a chance to measure the new one yet to see if it'll work or if I need to cobble something together. Either way, it should be nicely installed tonight, assuming the faceplate doesn't suck. I'll try to put up a couple of pics.

As for the stereo itself, the more I mess with it, the more I like the features. I really like the integrated bluetooth hands-free phone interface. I'm glad I opted for a radio with that feature. It wasn't on my list of criteria, but it will be from now on. It's nice to be able to hear my phone in the car over my car speakers. Also, the volume of the stereo is loud enough that I can actually listen to talk radio with my windows rolled down, which is something I couldn't do with the factory radio.

I still wish I could have gotten the 5700u with the fancy display, but I'm happy with this one so far, and it was $150 cheaper.

ETA: I keep reaching for the old volume knob instead of the new one. My car has brainwashed me. There are FIVE lights!

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If you're worried about it being stolen till you get the install kit, then just remove the faceplate when you get out of the vehicle and take it inside with you. I used to do that alot myself too. Didn't want my $250 stereo disappearing from my car.

That raises an interesting question. This is the first radio I've had with a removable face. Now, I can pull it off and take it with me, but if I were a thief, I'd still smash the window and steal the rest of the radio and just order a replacement face from Sony. How does removing the face deter the theft of the rest of the radio? Is it just impossible to get a replacement? What if I legitimately lose mine or damage it or something? Am I screwed?

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Greensburg
    That raises an interesting question. This is the first radio I've had with a removable face. Now, I can pull it off and take it with me, but if I were a thief, I'd still smash the window and steal the rest of the radio and just order a replacement face from Sony. How does removing the face deter the theft of the rest of the radio? Is it just impossible to get a replacement? What if I legitimately lose mine or damage it or something? Am I screwed?
    Most thieves do not want to pay for something therefore, they would most likely pass on a stereo with no faceplate because they would then have to buy a faceplate, some of which are kinda expensive:twocents:

And no you wouldn't be screwed, you would just have to buy a new face.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Most thieves do not want to pay for something therefore, they would most likely pass on a stereo with no faceplate because they would then have to buy a faceplate, some of which are kinda expensive:twocents:

No, but if it's a smash-n-grab, they're probably not stealing it for themselves. Grab it, then sell it to some schmuck for $50. BUT, if the manufacturer doesn't sell replacement faces, then the face-less unit is worthless.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Greensburg
    No, but if it's a smash-n-grab, they're probably not stealing it for themselves. Grab it, then sell it to some schmuck for $50. BUT, if the manufacturer doesn't sell replacement faces, then the face-less unit is worthless.
    Very true, but I believe most removeable faceplates are more of a "theft deterrent" and none of us can be completely safe from thieves. But I always take mine with me just in case. Yes, it would be worthless but with ebay and other places, I am sure it could be had if need be.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    So I finally got a chance to try the faceplate kit I bought yesterday. It's not even close to the right one. Not. Even. Close. Oh, it's the right part number, according to Metra, but there's a half inch gap on either side preventing me from mounting it, and it doesn't even come close to matching the fascia. I am so pissed off at this point that I want to scream.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have another faceplate coming from Sonic Electronix, but I have to wait another week for shipping on it. I'm not spending any more money on installation for this. I've already done most of the work, so it's not worth it to me to pass it off at this point. I just need the right damn face plate.

Top Bottom