• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm thinking about replacing the stock stereo in my car for a couple of reasons. Can anyone recommend a good aftermarket stereo and a reputable installer? I guess I could just take it to Fry's or something, but I'd rather take it someplace I can trust.

I have a portable XM radio and I'm getting tired of using the FM modulator (getting sick of static and interference) so I'm looking primarily for one with an audio-in jack on the front and possibly a USB port as well. Alternatively, I'll also buy a car cradle for my XM and have them install it with the stereo. I'm also not interested in spending a ton of money as I'm over 17 years old and don't need a car stereo that makes the buildings shake nearby.

msmith103

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 17, 2008
    Hendricks County
    I used to work at a Best Buy in Evansville and worked in the Car Audio department both installing and selling product. Whats the make model and year of car? I would recommend an Alpine Stereo. You can have them new from $100 dollars and up. If you are familiar with electrical wire and the vehicle is not an odd ball you could probably do it yourself to be honest. Just buy the parts you need from your local Electronics store and DIY. just matching colors to colors and then clicking two plugs together. Dash kits can be easy to install too. My jeep Grand Cherokee 2001 took me about 5 minutes to put the dash kit in. just 4 screws and it was mounted. Hope this helps you out.:cheers:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I've done the DIY stereo install. I'm not interested in doing it again. By the time I've tracked down all the specialized tools I need to get the old stereo out, the wiring harnesses, the face plates, etc., it ends up being cheaper and faster to just pay someone else to do it.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    I will probably get hammered by some folks for this, but I have to say that Ovation does some quality work. I realize you aren't looking for a big booming system and they aren't the cheapest, but they do quality work that looks clean, crisp, and professional. They will also from time to time have equipment that is being sold at ridiculously low prices from being demo'd, floor models, or closeouts....and you can always strike a deal with them, they are willing to bargain.

X-Ravin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    West Lafayette
    For a basic stereo install, Best Buy should be fine. On the right sale the install could be free. I've found that in the low dollar range Pioneer makes some very nice sounding decks. Sony does too, just stay away from Sony speakers because they are overpriced and sound terrible!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I really like the Ovation store, but that might be a bit outside my price range. I agree that they sometimes have some decent sales, though.

What I'd like to do is find the stereo I want, and then find a reputable installer for it who either has it in stock or can order it for me. My fear about taking it to Best Buy or Fry's are the 17 year old "installers" who have no idea what they're doing. I've seen some really crap jobs done by big box stores. I'm not afraid to install my own stereo and if I wanted it done poorly, I'd do it myself. :D

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    If you find the stereo you want at a decent price, online at crutchfield for example, Ovation will still install it even though it didn't come from them. (At least they used to do that, but its been a couple of years since I have worked with them.)

That would at least help with the cost of the stereo, but not sure what they are charging for installs these days.....it can't be more than $50-$100 for a simple stereo install.

I used to purchase equipment from Soundsational and Audio Advantage, but I can't speak for their install work. I did all the installs myself. Ovation is the only one I can recommend from experience.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I settled on a Sony MEX-BT3700U from Sonic Electronix. $169 + shipping and they'll include free installation accessories (face plate, wiring harnes, etc.)

o54bkl.jpg

I haven't shopped for a car stereo in a long time, but I remember them generally being cooler than what's out there now. Most of it either sucks or is way overpriced. The Sony one seemed to have all the features I was looking for, plus one or two more, at a reasonable price. The 5700 model has a swanky display, but they want another $150 for that, which is way outside my budget.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I've had mixed experiences with Sony products in the past, but they've been generally positive.

Most of the stereos I looked at had horrible interfaces. It's like the designers never bothered to try working them while keeping their eyes on the road. One of them switched inputs by hitting a menu button, and then instead of twisting the multi-function knob the way you would expect, you had to push a second button and then wait for two seconds while it scrolled to the next input. If you missed your input, you had to scroll all the way through the list (of about 6 inputs). Two seconds each. While driving. I was only standing in front of the display and it made me want to smash it with a brick.

The Alpines looked really nice but almost none of them had an external AUX port, which is a primary criteria. Most of them had a rear AUX and/or USB, but that would mean dangling wires out the back and under the dash, which I also didn't want to do.

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    The Alpines looked really nice but almost none of them had an external AUX port, which is a primary criteria. Most of them had a rear AUX and/or USB, but that would mean dangling wires out the back and under the dash, which I also didn't want to do.
    I have that issue with mine for ipod connection, but then again mine is a second or third tier manufacturer. Also, it's 4 years old, which in car audio terms, means it's ancient!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm still wondering why they all come with remotes. For crying out loud, you don't even have to lean forward to reach the controls. You just have to move your arm slightly. If it's because the controls are too cryptic and the remote makes it easier, then you need to redesign your interface. The only people who would use a remote would be someone in the back seat, and who in their right mind lets the guy in the back seat work the stereo?

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    I'm still wondering why they all come with remotes. For crying out loud, you don't even have to lean forward to reach the controls. You just have to move your arm slightly. If it's because the controls are too cryptic and the remote makes it easier, then you need to redesign your interface. The only people who would use a remote would be someone in the back seat, and who in their right mind lets the guy in the back seat work the stereo?

I always wondered about those as well. However, audio controls built into the steering wheel are a different story!

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    I am not claiming this to be the "correct" answer, but I do know remotes were used a lot in car stereo competitions. They could stand outside the car and control the volume and song choice so they didn't bleed from their ear drums.

NWI40cal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Hammond
    I'm also not interested in spending a ton of money as I'm over 17 years old and don't need a car stereo that makes the buildings shake nearby.

My buddy's car got towed yesterday because the officer heard him before he saw him. He has 2x12" around 250-300 watt each speakers, driven by a (supposedly) 1000w to 1 channel amp. What he wants to install a "Kong" amp, which was rated at 1412w, certified from the factory. He has that.

He wants to do 3x15'' and 2x12'' speakers to fill out the amp. Dumbass.

He also wants to buy a "warhorse" which is really, truly heavy duty. It's a 10,000w to 1 channel amp. Warhorse | KICKER

I'm going to start calling him repeat soon, he's gonna be/is a habitual offender.

He is also 22, not 17 :D

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    I have a portable XM radio and I'm getting tired of using the FM modulator (getting sick of static and interference)

I have a Sirius radio mounted in my truck in a cradle, and I bought a $20 inline splitter from RadioShack that you plug the vehicle antenna co-ax into, then plug the short co-ax pigtail from the splitter back into the radio, then the audio feed from the satellite plugs into the splitter. You match radio frequencies on the satellite radio and the vehicle radio (Sirius has a function for this, I don't know about XM) and, no more static! All for $20, two ty-raps, and an hour's time.

Top Bottom