• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    My sisters car wont start today. No dash lights, just clicks. Well, she sent me a video earlier and with nobody in car and no keys in the car.......this car is clicking as if someone was trying to start with dead battery or bad starter.

How can that happen with no keys in car? Thoughts? Not sure make yet, I think a Cruze...but not positive.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If it is still clicking, unhook the battery and hook it back up. I don't know your car, but sometimes the electronics get in a loop they cannot complete and cannot cancel whatever the last command is. .If it starts clicking a relay again when you hook it back up, without the key. It will require hands on troubleshooting.

Also, many of today's batteries give no warning when they fail, It can start perfect, run perfect and when you shut it off, it never starts again. Take a voltmeter with you.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Well, the clicking is the starter trying to engage. So maybe something messed up in the electrical system such that the car is trying to start? Possibly a bad ignition switch? I had a car which would stay in accessory mode with the key removed; fixed it by replacing the ignition switch.

In addition, you probably have a low battery (possibly caused by the above issue)... Just a guess.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    My sisters car wont start today. No dash lights, just clicks. Well, she sent me a video earlier and with nobody in car and no keys in the car.......this car is clicking as if someone was trying to start with dead battery or bad starter.

How can that happen with no keys in car? Thoughts? Not sure make yet, I think a Cruze...but not positive.
    Stuck starter solenoid?

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    It is a 2017 Ford Fusion. I am almost betting it is battery as well. I was just kind of thrown off with the video of it trying to turn over with no key.....she is in Virginia, so I am really no help to her.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    It is a 2017 Ford Fusion. I am almost betting it is battery as well. I was just kind of thrown off with the video of it trying to turn over with no key.....she is in Virginia, so I am really no help to her.
    If she does replace the battery, make sure to reset the battery life counter. The charging system modifies the charge rates as the battery gets older and won't fully charge a new battery. Sadly, unlikely that auto zone, Walmart, etc can do that.

Easy to do with forscan (a free Windows program) and a Bluetooth odbc dongle.
    Rick

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I had a 99 F-150 do something like that, it would just randomly try to engage the starter, even while you were driving. Turns out the windshield had a small leak and the BCM was getting wet causing all sorts of random problems. Apparently this was a common issue at the time.

Top Bottom