• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Just can't. I actually shoot my little, snappy Kahr CM9 better than my Glock 19, even with the Glock's 3.5LB Ghost trigger. No matter what, I can't shoot straight.

I dry fire practice at home.

I focus on the front sight.

I don't think I flinch. It's 9mm, after all.

Still, without fail, always to the left.

Even if I try to compensate for the fact that I'm going to be shooting to the left and down and try to aim above and to the right of what I am trying to hit, I don't hit it.

Can anything be done? Am I just doomed to be a horrible shot for the rest of my life? I've been shooting for a few years now and still can't get a group smaller than the size of a basketball in the area I want even at short distances.

Thought somehow today I was able to shoot my Kahr pretty damn good. Much tighter groups with it even with the increased felt recoil and less comfortable frame. The groups were also closer to what I was aiming for, too...

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Give it to someone else to shoot. If they shoot left, drift the sight. I don't know what distance you're shooting at, but I found that the Glock at 15 yards, offhand, does very well. The Kahr always seems to be a good shooter at closer distances.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Put it on a sandbag.

If it still goes left, maybe let a friend try it. If both go left perhaps sights are off. Have any pics of targets.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    One handed hold or 2? Left handed shooter, or right? Reason is generally different for each hold. If right handed with one hand and shooting low and left, I suspect you may be gripping too tightly or squeezing your whole hand at trigger pull. This will rotate the grip in your hand ever so slightly. Could also be too much or too little finger on the trigger. Things like breaking your wrist up, dropping your elbow, or trying to look over the sights to see where you hit (prematurely) can all cause erratic shots. Best bet is to have someone that is knowledgeable watch your form and diagnose. Good luck solving the issue.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    I've got the large backstrap on it right now and only the middle of my index finger pad is on the trigger. I've looked at charts and try to mimic my finger placement on the trigger to that of what charts show is appropriate.

I've got sandbags so perhaps next time I'll take those with me...

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If you are right handed and you are shooting low left. It is related to trigger control. I have the same problem with a stock Glock Trigger. A person with small hands might benefit from a grip reduction. This allows you to index the trigger without the trigger finger bicep coming into contact with the side of the gun. I was just commenting to a buddy today that I thought I shot the G26 better then a G19, possibly because of the fit. I shoot my Walther PPS M1 better then a G19.

No no harm in checking the sights though. Those could be off a bit. But more then likely not.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    If it was me, I'd seek a training class. Letting someone who knows what they are doing watch you shoot will make you a better shooter.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    If it was me, I'd seek a training class. Letting someone who knows what they are doing watch you shoot will make you a better shooter.

This is a good point. Saves ammo and $$ in the end, but try it without any of the backstraps and see if that helps. The Gen 4's I have shot have been pretty accurate in my experience.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I shoot .357 Mag handloads pretty "okay" as far as 150 yards. I shoot .22 target pistols pretty "okay" as far as 200 yards. I shoot 10m Olympic Air pistols straight and true at...10 meters.

But I still have a Sig 226 that shoots well right; at 50 yards, it's enough to miss. I just never got around to drifting the sight.

Now I'm not saying it's always--or even USUALLY--the gun. But it can be. So as has been said: find a friend that is a reliable shooter, tell them NOTHING except "Here's a pistol and a free 50 rd box."...and see what you see.

But a training class as a first recommendation for ONE pistol that doesn't go where it's pointed?! Come on now.

-Nate

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Hold your Glock like a baby bird. I bet shooting left disappears. Gradually add grip pressure until shots start tracking left. Report back.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Sell the Glock and buy another Kahr. You will have plenty of money for extra mags, and you can stipple the new Kahr like your old one. ​Seriously, if you shoot the tiny CM9 well, why do you have the largest back strap on the Glock? And secondly, Rusty is right. You should try a CZ!

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Maybe having somewhere to actually put you pinky finger is messing you up. Maybe you need a 26....or a Rami.:):

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Grip was my problem with my 19.
    I got rid of the large back strap and don't use any of them. I went to the Trijicons and away from the crappy factory sights.
    I also have the 3.5 connector. Factory glock.
    I also put a trigger stop in mine to eliminate the trigger jump after firing.
    I too was shooting left and a little high.
    I had Elmores relieve the trigger guard so I could get a better grip. It helped a lot.
    2zew0as.jpg

morrismm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    Brownsburg
    I would suggest either filming your trigger finger and the front sight while you are shooting or having a buddy watch you to see if they can give you any suggestions. The benefit of a remote camera is you can film from in front of you while shooting. (Just be sure not to shoot the camera.) You might be able to spot an issue from a different viewpoint.

Happy shooting!

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    mechanically, glocks are very inherently accurate. but that's masked by their sh!$$y trigger.

Dryfire. get a dime and balance it on the front sight. once you get where it doesn't fall off, get to where it doesn't even wiggle. watch the FS very closely/intently as you do this. do it a lot.

adjust your grip and finger placement. Most folks can correct this on a glock by moving the trigger farther out to the tip of the finger, vs the center of the pad. This is largely because of the glock's very long reach. you may also have to adjust to the grip to get the finger closer to the trigger, so the gun isn't as ideally in line w/ the forearm.

you have to work hard to become consistent with a glock trigger. the slightest change in trigger press will show downrange.

I've been competing w/ glocks the last few yrs in uspsa, and this is what I've found for my own shooting as well as helped several others.

if all else fails, dryfire. a lot. experiment and see for yourself what technique results in the most rock solid 'shot.'

-rvb

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Just can't. I actually shoot my little, snappy Kahr CM9 better than my Glock 19, even with the Glock's 3.5LB Ghost trigger. No matter what, I can't shoot straight.

I dry fire practice at home.

I focus on the front sight.

I don't think I flinch. It's 9mm, after all.

Still, without fail, always to the left.

Even if I try to compensate for the fact that I'm going to be shooting to the left and down and try to aim above and to the right of what I am trying to hit, I don't hit it.

Can anything be done? Am I just doomed to be a horrible shot for the rest of my life? I've been shooting for a few years now and still can't get a group smaller than the size of a basketball in the area I want even at short distances.

Thought somehow today I was able to shoot my Kahr pretty damn good. Much tighter groups with it even with the increased felt recoil and less comfortable frame. The groups were also closer to what I was aiming for, too...

I struggle with Glock marksmanship too. It's an ongoing battle, mostly because even with no insert on a Gen 4, it's still a little too big for my fingers to reach the trigger without a lot of effort.

However, I'm pretty good at helping people learn to shoot more accurately, probably partly because of my own experience and challenges.

If you're willing to drive to RileyCC near Terre Haute some Saturday and you're willing to setup the targets, etc., I'll meet you there and work with you for a couple of hours. If a couple of others want to join us, that would be cool too.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I struggle with Glock marksmanship too. It's an ongoing battle, mostly because even with no insert on a Gen 4, it's still a little too big for my fingers to reach the trigger without a lot of effort.

However, I'm pretty good at helping people learn to shoot more accurately, probably partly because of my own experience and challenges.

If you're willing to drive to RileyCC near Terre Haute some Saturday and you're willing to setup the targets, etc., I'll meet you there and work with you for a couple of hours. If a couple of others want to join us, that would be cool too.

I can't hit anything with a Glock, either. Can I come and play?

Top Bottom