• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sailorguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2012
    Full disclosure: Lifetime NRA and CC Indiana. Military trained.
    Member of INGO for quite a while. Don't post but read, listen and learn from those that add value.
    Story setting: Driving east on 136 from Brownsburg to Cleremont.
    Details: I'm driving about the speed limit, maybe 2-3 over. Pickup driven by someone in a hurry approaches me
    from behind very quickly. Approaches the back of my suv in such a manner I cant see much of his truck but can see his windshield. IE: I cant see any of his hood. THAT CLOSE.
    So, he gets pissed and starts waving his hands. I'm thinking....just another douchebag on the road. He gets REAL close to my bumper. I lift off the gas to send a message. He starts gesturing like he is loading a shotgun and pointing it at the back of my suv. I start to break and gesture Im pulling over with hand gesture and blinker and break to pull of the side of the road so he can be on his way. (Not interested in young man drama).
    I look in the rear view mirror and see he needs to take corrective action in order to not hit me......BECAUSE he is so close and his hands are not on the wheel. His hands were still doing the "air shotgun thing" and not on the wheel. He takes corrective action and gets under control and then proceeds to tail me (way to closely) with his cell phone taking pictures/video. I pull of the road to enter a parking lot and let this young man go on his way when he passes me and does the "fake hand gun thing" pointed at my truck. When he gets clearly in front of me he waves his hand with what I believe to be a handgun. I could be wrong because of the window tinting but dont think I am.
    I let him pass and get behind him in order to get his license plate. (You never know). ALSO, he has a large visible NRA decal on the rear window. Now I'm just disappointed!
    He pulls into the the parking lot of the gun store in Cleremont. I continue on.

SO----Question #1: Should I have called LEO on him?
    #2: What should we do to "self-police" those behaving badly in order to protect the rest of us?

As a proud NRA member the whole situation just makes me sad and worry about the future.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Well there's always the possibility he just has an old sticker? I think a call might have been appropriate, of course maybe he was trying to tell you he was in a hurry to go pick up his new gun?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Calling the cops would probably have been a waste of time. It'd be your word vs. his, especially since there was no damage nor injuries. When I'm in no particular hurry and I know folks behind me are, rather than brake check them, I'll often just pull to the side and let them pass.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Welcome to INGO!

Definitely think getting the license plate was a good idea. I do that sometimes if I see something suspicious and keep it for a few weeks or so.

Don't know much else what you could do. I don't know that I would've called the police unless I was absolutely certain I saw a handgun being waved at me, but I wouldn't second guess you if you had, based on the story you related.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Remember when your dad told you not to wrestle with the pig because you both get dirty and the pig likes it?

There will always be a-holes in this world. Let someone else deal with them and have them meet their reward from another.

sailorguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2012
    I completely understand being in a hurry. Got the tee-shirt! Just happen to think gun owners live to a better code. Thats all.
    AND, its not at all about the cleremont gun shop. They are really good people. Just mentioned them because that was my point of reference when they turned!

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Remember when your dad told you not to wrestle with the pig because you both get dirty and the pig likes it?

There will always be a-holes in this world. Let someone else deal with them and have them meet their reward from another.
    dude, what did your dad do for hobbies???

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I completely understand being in a hurry. Got the tee-shirt! Just happen to think gun owners live to a better code. Thats all.
    AND, its not at all about the cleremont gun shop. They are really good people. Just mentioned them because that was my point of reference when they turned!

People are people. Some gun owners are good people and some are scum--just like people who claim to be religious or lawyers...well I don't know if any lawyers are good people :p

sailorguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2012
    Welcome to INGO!

Definitely think getting the license plate was a good idea. I do that sometimes if I see something suspicious and keep it for a few weeks or so.

Don't know much else what you could do. I don't know that I would've called the police unless I was absolutely certain I saw a handgun being waved at me, but I wouldn't second guess you if you had, based on the story you related.

Not going to lie. I was so disappointed to see his NRA sticker. Thats why I didnt call. AND your point about not being 100% clear
    on what I saw was critical in my decision not to call. still bothered....

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    I've always found it easier to play it cool. Just park nearby and discreetly follow them home and return later that night and set their house on fire. No need to get all mad and such.:dunno:

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Not going to lie. I was so disappointed to see his NRA sticker. Thats why I didnt call. AND your point about not being 100% clear
    on what I saw was critical in my decision not to call. still bothered....

Being a gun owner doesn't automatically make one a stand up citizen/person.

And you should have called. The more information provided, the better.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

If the guy continues with his a-hole ways and a few folks have reported the a-hole in question to Frank's buds (AKA, the local police) there will be info of past history. In this case, that is a good thing.

sailorguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2012

I hear you and now agree. Possessing a weapon adds nothing to the character or integrity of someone. Still, we have a pretty good deal in Indiana and I find it a shame (being selfish) that some don't truly understand the delicate position we fight for. Clearly he is an NRA member and at the same time shooting himself in the foot.

Can't help those that cant help themselves!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Full disclosure: Lifetime NRA and CC Indiana. Military trained.
    Member of INGO for quite a while. Don't post but read, listen and learn from those that add value.
    Story setting: Driving east on 136 from Brownsburg to Cleremont.
    Details: I'm driving about the speed limit, maybe 2-3 over. Pickup driven by someone in a hurry approaches me
    from behind very quickly. Approaches the back of my suv in such a manner I cant see much of his truck but can see his windshield. IE: I cant see any of his hood. THAT CLOSE.
    So, he gets pissed and starts waving his hands. I'm thinking....just another douchebag on the road. He gets REAL close to my bumper. I lift off the gas to send a message. He starts gesturing like he is loading a shotgun and pointing it at the back of my suv. I start to break and gesture Im pulling over with hand gesture and blinker and break to pull of the side of the road so he can be on his way. (Not interested in young man drama).
    I look in the rear view mirror and see he needs to take corrective action in order to not hit me......BECAUSE he is so close and his hands are not on the wheel. His hands were still doing the "air shotgun thing" and not on the wheel. He takes corrective action and gets under control and then proceeds to tail me (way to closely) with his cell phone taking pictures/video. I pull of the road to enter a parking lot and let this young man go on his way when he passes me and does the "fake hand gun thing" pointed at my truck. When he gets clearly in front of me he waves his hand with what I believe to be a handgun. I could be wrong because of the window tinting but dont think I am.
    I let him pass and get behind him in order to get his license plate. (You never know). ALSO, he has a large visible NRA decal on the rear window. Now I'm just disappointed!
    He pulls into the the parking lot of the gun store in Cleremont. I continue on.

SO----Question #1: Should I have called LEO on him?
    #2: What should we do to "self-police" those behaving badly in order to protect the rest of us?

As a proud NRA member the whole situation just makes me sad and worry about the future.

Go in that store and meet the owners of that store. You will understand. Not knocking them just sayimng I do not like some of who frequents. Not Dons by any means and I see LEO in the lot on occasion.
    I would have called in MWAG. Let him loose his LTCH.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Calling the cops would probably have been a waste of time. It'd be your word vs. his, especially since there was no damage nor injuries. When I'm in no particular hurry and I know folks behind me are, rather than brake check them, I'll often just pull to the side and let them pass.

I do not appreciate people who push like that on a 2 lane road. Especially when he was just in a hurry to get to the gun store.

Top Bottom