• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    2 weeks ago we went on our first trip of the year. We did the 13 mile trip at Morgan's in Brookville. We had a great time. The water was up and flowing around 7 miles an hour. We rented 1 canoe and 8 kayaks.
    Yesterday we took the 16 mile trip and it was fun and we had a few close calls. The water in the lower section of the 16 mile trip moves along nicely. On this trip we took 3 canoes and 11 kayaks. If you have never paddled down the Whitewater river, I would recommend it. Morgan's rent the Old Town canoes with the seat back for $5 more that the metal canoes.

I am wondering if there are other good places to go in Indiana. I have been to Sugar Creek at Shades and Turkey Run. While the scenery is beautiful the water always seems to be crowded and the water level low. I like paddling, not dragging a boat over rocks. So help me out here and tell me your favorite places to rent canoes and kayaks. thanks!

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    2 weeks ago we went on our first trip of the year. We did the 13 mile trip at Morgan's in Brookville. We had a great time. The water was up and flowing around 7 miles an hour. We rented 1 canoe and 8 kayaks.
    Yesterday we took the 16 mile trip and it was fun and we had a few close calls. The water in the lower section of the 16 mile trip moves along nicely. On this trip we took 3 canoes and 11 kayaks. If you have never paddled down the Whitewater river, I would recommend it. Morgan's rent the Old Town canoes with the seat back for $5 more that the metal canoes.

I am wondering if there are other good places to go in Indiana. I have been to Sugar Creek at Shades and Turkey Run. While the scenery is beautiful the water always seems to be crowded and the water level low. I like paddling, not dragging a boat over rocks. So help me out here and tell me your favorite places to rent canoes and kayaks. thanks!

As for Sugar Creek, the last 2 times we went the timing was perfect. Durring the INGO Float Trip we when we scouted the area out beforehand the water was up and all the canoe / kayak rental places were closed. We didn't see one person on the water when we went on the float and only 2 kayakers when we went on the scout. I recommend watching the weather and wait for a nice day after a couple days of hard rain. We've got some pics in the "INGO Events Thread".

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    We've canoed in Noblesville a couple of times. It makes for a nice Sunday afternoon. I wouldn't say it's awesome, but it's cheap and pleasant and there are several places where you can stop and have lunch on the banks of the river. There's a rental place on the corner of SR38 and SR19.

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    I havent made the trip yet myself but people will use kayacks on the Wildcat Creek. The state just put in a new public access point in Burlington. You can catch some nice smallmout too while your at it as an added bonus!

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I havent made the trip yet myself but people will use kayacks on the Wildcat Creek. The state just put in a new public access point in Burlington. You can catch some nice smallmout too while your at it as an added bonus!

I found a livery for Wildcat Creek.
    Wildcat Canoe & Kayak Too on Wildcat Creek
    Do you know what the water is like? Fast, slow, deep or shallow? I plan on calling them tomorrow.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Last year we went with some friends to "Blue's Canoes" in Edinburgh, just off I65 @ exit 76. They rent canoes or kayaks. We took the longer trip, which took like 4 hours. It was fairly basic and easy going. There was a great place to stop along the pebbly shore and swim for a while.

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    If anyone works out a trip and gives a few days notice, please PM me. I will drive about anywhere to kayak.

I go with a group every tuesday night that does a great deal of lakes, but not many bodies of water with current.

id be glad to check out any new water i can get into.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

Something no one else ever seems to do but I like it, is to put in the canal at Laurel and paddle it. It's slow easy going. Perfect if you've got little kids with you but I like seeing the history as it flows through the abandon locks and the countryside just about the way it must have looked a hundred years ago.

Plus the water level is always the same.

EvoVIIIMatt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Last year we went with some friends to "Blue's Canoes" in Edinburgh, just off I65 @ exit 76. They rent canoes or kayaks. We took the longer trip, which took like 4 hours. It was fairly basic and easy going. There was a great place to stop along the pebbly shore and swim for a while.

Did you have to drag your canoe at any time? We are looking for a good place to go canoeing. Last time we went on Blue River at Milltown and the water was way down. We had to drag the canoe too many times.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Something no one else ever seems to do but I like it, is to put in the canal at Laurel and paddle it. It's slow easy going. Perfect if you've got little kids with you but I like seeing the history as it flows through the abandon locks and the countryside just about the way it must have looked a hundred years ago.

Plus the water level is always the same.

Are you speaking of the canal that runs along 52 or is there one actually in/around Laurel?

If I go to Laurel, it's usually to go to Haspin Acres to tear up some dirt on my KDX200.:D

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Did you have to drag your canoe at any time? We are looking for a good place to go canoeing. Last time we went on Blue River at Milltown and the water was way down. We had to drag the canoe too many times.

When we put in at Milltown on Sunday, they had a water level of 3.5 feet, and we never touched bottom. We didn't even see it except right along the banks.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

I can recall only one time when both our canoes did drag to the point where we had to get out and pull it forward 10 yards or so.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I think Raccoon creek in Parke county is awesome if you time it right. On average you can count on it having more water available than Sugar creek (Turkey Run.) The trick that makes it awesome is checking on when the corps of engineers lets the water out of Raccoon reservoir in the fall. Parke county in the fall with great water flow...makes for a good trip. Avoid going during the Bridge festival though.

Jed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2008
    "Blue's Canoes" in Edinburgh, just off I65 @ exit 76 has several great trips... but to have the longest you need your own canoe or kayak. You can put in by the old grist mill dam just East of Hoosier Horse park and go all the way to mill race park in Columbus... its an 8-10 hour trip depending on how often you stop, water flow, and your desire to paddle... if you just want a short trip you can rent from blues canoe and take one of the 2-4 hour trips they drop you off and you end up back at blues canoe...
    One side of the river is camp Atterbury military reservation with 40000 acres of ground most of its simply woods along the river and that makes for a trip thats almost a "throw back in time"... if it weren't for the ocasional bridge you pass under you could almost belive your in the late 1800's

EvoVIIIMatt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    When we put in at Milltown on Sunday, they had a water level of 3.5 feet, and we never touched bottom. We didn't even see it except right along the banks.

I can recall only one time when both our canoes did drag to the point where we had to get out and pull it forward 10 yards or so.

Thanks for the info. We are going this friday and just trying to figure out where to go. Some people in our group want some fairly swift water but im not sure they are going to get that around here. If you never touched bottom at Milltown on Sunday we may end up going there.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Are you speaking of the canal that runs along 52 or is there one actually in/around Laurel?

If I go to Laurel, it's usually to go to Haspin Acres to tear up some dirt on my KDX200.:D

Put in the canal at the laural feeder dam and float to Metamora

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    I just did a few chained lakes up near kendleville. Ive been going with a group every tuesday evening. If anyone is in the fort wayne area and wants to go send me a pm and we can ride together. Its from 6pm till around 8-830 and takes an hour each way to drive.

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    I found a livery for Wildcat Creek.
    Wildcat Canoe & Kayak Too on Wildcat Creek
    Do you know what the water is like? Fast, slow, deep or shallow? I plan on calling them tomorrow.

From where I've fished its usually slow except for up close to Adams Mill and the damn they have there. Not to deep overall where I've been in Carroll county but there are some deep holes.
    you might check down around Lafayette area too.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Thanks for the info. We are going this friday and just trying to figure out where to go. Some people in our group want some fairly swift water but im not sure they are going to get that around here. If you never touched bottom at Milltown on Sunday we may end up going there.

We never touched bottom, but we did hit a few hidden rocks, so be careful.

Top Bottom