• ...and so much more!
  • Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Sorry, if your gonna practice like this use a dummy gun.

All firearms are loaded, All the time. Period.

Throw some sand weight into a squirtgun/airsoft and go. The first thing i did after taking my Beretta to the range the first time was buy the Airsoft copy. After fiddling with it for a bit and adding some lead soap box car weights, it has become the best (and safest) indoor training tool i could ask for.

Its also hella fun to shoot my roommate with at 2 in the morning :):

Your roommate is wearing appropriate protection for this type of activity, goggles etc, correct?

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Where to aim...

During drills I find myself shooting lower than I intend. I need to slow down and get it right.

My aiming point is this: If you draw a line vertically from your nose to crotch, and a horizontal line connecting your clavicles, I try for the intersection.

This should get the heart or major vessels, and it has a couple side benefits in today's world.

JimFloyd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Where to aim...

During drills I find myself shooting lower than I intend. I need to slow down and get it right.

My aiming point is this: If you draw a line vertically from your nose to crotch, and a horizontal line connecting your clavicles, I try for the intersection.

This should get the heart or major vessels, and it has a couple side benefits in today's world.

No sir, incorrect IF those structures are your targets. Vertical line is correct. Horizontal line is incorrect. Notice where the clavicles meet the sternum in the illustration below (1st rib area). You are way high (with your aim ;)).

thorax.jpg

The other consideration here is the bullet passing through the target and striking an unintended target. Yeah, I know about how hollow points (are supposed to) open, etc. But consider your own chest. What is the thickest part? It typically is the area of the 3rd to 5th rib.

Regards,

Jim

Last edited:

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    Your roommate is wearing appropriate protection for this type of activity, goggles etc, correct?

haha nope. even if a winger caught him or me in the eye i doubt any real damage could be done. both of our guns have been dialed back to below 50 fps. we got tired of the welts. The worst thing that could come from a shot to the eye would be some tearing and the beating the offender received in return.

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    haha nope. even if a winger caught him or me in the eye i doubt any real damage could be done. both of our guns have been dialed back to below 50 fps. we got tired of the welts. The worst thing that could come from a shot to the eye would be some tearing and the beating the offender received in return.

It's all fun and games till somebody loses an eye..

OMG i can't believe I just said that I sounded like my mother..

Got a shirt I wear to work all the time says "yeah it's funny till somebody gets hurt" on the front. Then in the back it says"Then it's hilarious."

Seriously though you could really damage an eye even at "just 50 fps".

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    So, are we to understand that if you have a gun out, you're the only person within 10 miles, have a 100 ft tall backstop on all four sides and are wearing armor head to toe?

Is that a rule? I missed that one.

Oh, never mind. I see you are using ridiculous exagerations as an excuse and to rationalize doing as you please until you kill some one.

I suggest you skip the part where you have to kill some one else and just search this forum for threads concerning gun accidents, negligent discharges, and such things. You might even have comment or two your self you could benefit from if you just read it in front of a mirror the way you were saying it when it was aimed at some one else.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    He must have been born with an unnatural level of speed and skill that us mere mortals can only come close to by extensive training.

What is it about this you consider beyond the ability of mere mortals?

1. "All guns are always loaded".
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Always be sure of your target.

May be there should be a number 5
    5. The self discipline, honor and common sense to follow 4 simple rules, even when no one is watching or holding your hand.

It does seem to be asking too much of a few here but believe me it's not the result of supernatural powers. It's called behaving like a grown adult, maturity, honor, common sense, self discipline. You'll here it called by a lot of different names by the time you start to recognise it on you own kids.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I can guarantee that anyone who has ever carried a handgun has broken rule #2.

Common sense goes a lot further than these rules.

When I started shooting, there were several more rules, not just four. More like 10. I'll have to dig them up.

Seems people toss them out as they see fit.

As I said, common sense.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Horizontal should holster anyone? If your pistol goes off in you IWB holster, is it gonna crease your bone? How about OWB?

Jeremy, seems the argument was over when I mentioned that... dunno if folks just got tired of arguing or if I made a valid point. You, you're just a smartass.

Know where I can get an older Jeep Wrangler with a 4 banger btw?

JNG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    The real question is, if :chuck: tried to outdraw himself, would he succeed? And if he did, what would :chuck:'s reflection do in retribution?

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    The USMC has a saying "Train Like You Fight, Fight Like You Train".

One of the first things the Marines do on the range is dry fire. They paint 55 gallon barrels white with black dots all over them. Then they take an entire platoon and form a circle around a barrel and dry fire for hours.

ALL training is done with real weapons.

Jack why are you so bitter? A simple reminder of the safety rules would have been enough. After reading all your post all I can do is shake my head. How do you train? We got your point on the safety now enlighten us with your master skills. Don't side step the quetion with a rant, man up and help us morons.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Is that a rule? I missed that one.

Oh, never mind. I see you are using ridiculous exagerations as an excuse and to rationalize doing as you please until you kill some one.

My statement was as far to the left of center as your's is to the opposite direction.

I suggest you skip the part where you have to kill some one else and just search this forum for threads concerning gun accidents, negligent discharges, and such things. You might even have comment or two your self you could benefit from if you just read it in front of a mirror the way you were saying it when it was aimed at some one else.

What the hell are you talking about?

Your comments have added no value to this discussion whatsoever. Dryfire is a time tested and professionally advocated method of gaining firearm proficiency. If you don't like dryfire - don't do it.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Why not just use a trainer, or buy a seperate barrel and plug it, if its that big of a deal in your head....this is argueing just for the sake of argueing! I dry fire everyone of my weapons, at least once a week, and a couple everyday. Including spending hrs with my .308 and snap caps....it is called trianing.

This will turn out to be a agree to disagree!!!

-Medic

Top Bottom